9mm Ammunition?

9mm Ammunition?

This is a discussion on 9mm Ammunition? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please bear with me on this very basic question. My knowledge is getting much better about guns and tactics, but I am still confused with ...

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 9mm Ammunition?

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    West Linn, Oregon
    Posts
    1,629

    9mm Ammunition?

    Please bear with me on this very basic question. My knowledge is getting much better about guns and tactics, but I am still confused with regard to ammunition. I read the posts, but the debates that quickly arise are quite frankly confusing to me.

    So here is my question. I have a new 9mm Walther P99c, and went to my local gun store to buy defensive carry ammo for it. I asked for Speer Gold Dot 124 gr., but they only had Gold Dot 9mm Luger 115 gr. GDHP, which I bought. Did I make a mistake?

    Also, is it possible for someone to give me a quick lesson in what the difference in ammo is, in terms of weight, and whatever else is important. I am not looking to start a debate about which is best, but only what the differences are. If there is a site that will do this, then a reference to that site will be great.

    Thanks.

    Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

    J. R. R. Tolkien


  2. #2
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,618
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/9mm.htm

    This site has some of the best comparisons I have seen.

    Hope it helps
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I have a new 9mm Walther P99c, and went to my local gun store to buy defensive carry ammo for it. I asked for Speer Gold Dot 124 gr., but they only had Gold Dot 9mm Luger 115 gr. GDHP, which I bought. Did I make a mistake?
    The Walther P99c runs 9mm Luger (9mm x 19) ammunition. That's the only kind you can run in the gun. Generally speaking, you pick a bullet based on the chambering of the gun you have. In the case of the P99c, that's 9mm Luger. There's nothing to say that a given 9mm Luger round will work in your specific gun. You just have to try several, then work through the teething pains of the break-in process until you're certain it works well.

    To answer your question about the Speer ammo ... You wanted Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point (GDHP) 124gr, but got 115gr instead. That's fine. Basically, it's a faster bullet, lighter (115 grains, versus 124 grains), will have a but greater energy when you fire it, will penetrate a bit differently than the 124gr, etc. Otherwise, they're nearly identical.

    Also, is it possible for someone to give me a quick lesson in what the difference in ammo is, in terms of weight, and whatever else is important.
    Here is a good synopsis: FirearmsID.com.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  4. #4
    VIP Member
    Array nn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    7,123
    Go to the range with it, if it works, carry it. You did not make a mistake, you must test any ammo in any specific gun.

  5. #5
    VIP Member
    Array Miggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Miami-Dade, FL
    Posts
    6,258
    And before settling on an specific brand, get yourself some 300 rounds of Wally World special and run them through your gun to get the kinks out and smooth the action. After that, choose from several brands and models of self-defense ammo to see which one runs best in your gun. Only then you should make the final decission which one to carry.
    You may like what you read about IE: Gold Dots but maybe your gun gets hiccupy with it which make it unreliable for self defense in your specific case.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

    Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

  6. #6
    Distinguished Member Array Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    West Linn, Oregon
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/9mm.htm

    This site has some of the best comparisons I have seen.

    Hope it helps
    Thanks, that really did help. But, one question about penetration. Is it correct that the greater the penetration, the greater the chance of the round going through the target and hitting a bystander?

    Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

    J. R. R. Tolkien

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    But, one question about penetration. Is it correct that the greater the penetration, the greater the chance of the round going through the target and hitting a bystander?
    Of course. Everything's a balancing act.

    It's one reason why, generally speaking, a rifle is far too powerful for home defense at the distances attacks occur, given the simple reality that a 3500 fps rifle round that zips through an attacker will likely zip through far more than that, as it exits the body. (Not true of all rifle rounds, ie 40-50gr 5.56x45mm in the AR-15, for example, with supposedly acts much like a frangible upon striking common house walls).

    Basic considerations: Will the ammo you've chosen get through multiple layers of clothing, bone/muscle, the thickness of the target you're likely to meet? And will the ammo not penetrate so far such that it still has velocity and power enough to kill, upon exiting the target?

    Ideal penetration would be: into and through the target just until the point where the nose of the bullet reaches the far side of the target, without exiting. But given the variabilities of a body's position and changing composition (as viewed from the bullet's vantage point), it's impossible to know how much will be "enough" for a given shot.

    So. Pick a reasonably good-penetrating round that doesn't penetrate "too much," practice with it to ensure you're comfortable with that degree of penetration (ie, hang up a side of beef, or a couple of large country hams). I've done the side of beef approach. Works very well, if you can get one (friend's ranch, with a freshly-dead animal), for showing the likely capability of your chosen rounds.

    Ain't nuthin' for certain. So, shoot only if/when absolutely necessary (goes without saying); be aware of your target and what's beyond it; be prepared for that bullet to destroy everything along its path. Beyond training with all that in mind, there's little more you can do, given the dynamics of an event exploding right in front of you. Just hope the training and knowledge pays off, for your sake and the sake of the folks around/beyond your intended target.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array jualdeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Waponi Woo
    Posts
    1,045
    I have a question for you Ron. Do you think that you will hit the target with every round you shoot?

  9. #9
    Distinguished Member Array Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    West Linn, Oregon
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    I have a question for you Ron. Do you think that you will hit the target with every round you shoot?
    I'm not quite sure where you are coming from with this question, but my answer is I certainly try to do so when I practice, but recognize that, in reality, it is not likely to happen, particularly if I should be involved in a gun fight.

    Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

    J. R. R. Tolkien

  10. #10
    Distinguished Member Array Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    West Linn, Oregon
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Of course. Everything's a balancing act.

    It's one reason why, generally speaking, a rifle is far too powerful for home defense at the distances attacks occur, given the simple reality that a 3500 fps rifle round that zips through an attacker will likely zip through far more than that, as it exits the body. (Not true of all rifle rounds, ie 40-50gr 5.56x45mm in the AR-15, for example, with supposedly acts much like a frangible upon striking common house walls).

    Basic considerations: Will the ammo you've chosen get through multiple layers of clothing, bone/muscle, the thickness of the target you're likely to meet? And will the ammo not penetrate so far such that it still has velocity and power enough to kill, upon exiting the target?

    Ideal penetration would be: into and through the target just until the point where the nose of the bullet reaches the far side of the target, without exiting. But given the variabilities of a body's position and changing composition (as viewed from the bullet's vantage point), it's impossible to know how much will be "enough" for a given shot.

    So. Pick a reasonably good-penetrating round that doesn't penetrate "too much," practice with it to ensure you're comfortable with that degree of penetration (ie, hang up a side of beef, or a couple of large country hams). I've done the side of beef approach. Works very well, if you can get one (friend's ranch, with a freshly-dead animal), for showing the likely capability of your chosen rounds.

    Ain't nuthin' for certain. So, shoot only if/when absolutely necessary (goes without saying); be aware of your target and what's beyond it; be prepared for that bullet to destroy everything along its path. Beyond training with all that in mind, there's little more you can do, given the dynamics of an event exploding right in front of you. Just hope the training and knowledge pays off, for your sake and the sake of the folks around/beyond your intended target.
    Thank you. That was an excellent explanation and helped put my question in perspective.

    Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

    J. R. R. Tolkien

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. AR 15 ammunition
    By purpledragon in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 4th, 2009, 12:54 AM
  2. What do you use for EDC ammunition?
    By ExactlyMyPoint in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: April 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
  3. ammunition
    By bk88 in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 11th, 2007, 07:53 PM
  4. Ammunition ?
    By rmilchman in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 5th, 2007, 04:54 PM
  5. PMP Ammunition?
    By Nate in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 30th, 2006, 12:15 AM

Search tags for this page

9mm ammunition explanation
,

9mm bullet composition

,
9mm defense ammo discussion
,
ballistics of 9mm defense ammunition
,
basic 9mm ammo
,
best 9mm ammo composition
,
composition of 9mm round
,
gr ammo explanation
,

luger 9mm ammunition explanation

,
pmp 9mm luger ammo
,
whats the composition af a 9mm bullet
,
will 9mm luger ammo work in 9mm walther pistol?
Click on a term to search for related topics.