powe'r'ball - Page 2

powe'r'ball

This is a discussion on powe'r'ball within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by paratroop23 $20-$22 for 20 rounds per box? How many rounds do you run through your pistol to test for reliability? There's a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: powe'r'ball

Quote Originally Posted by paratroop23 View Post
    $20-$22 for 20 rounds per box?

How many rounds do you run through your pistol to test for reliability?
    There's a thread where I discussed that, I buy 5 boxes at a go. Fire all except a mag full then carry that last mag.
    E.g. in the Sig P232 that is 92 fired, 7 + 1 in the gun carried.
    Of course under 100 rounds is not enough for everyone, I do feel confident though. This is in guns that have fired well over 500 rounds of various ammo before they ever see a holster.

Are the powr balls your primary carry ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by paratroop23 View Post
    Are the powr balls your primary carry ammo?
    In three guns yes, in 9mm/.380/.40.

In .32 and .38 I use Federal.

I don't know if you were able to find the pics or not, if not there are 2 different forums listed on the bottom of the page and the pics are very eye opening, not that any of the rounds there will not or dont work but at least you can get a visual feeling about your round of choice, I think the poster that created it did a fantastic job enough so that I added the Federal HST to my arsenal.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

I carry the Federal Tactical Bonded in .45 (230gr +P) and .40 (165gr)

.....but I have HSTs in 165gr and just received several boxes of 230gr +P...I have yet to test the HST 230gr +P but I plan to fire them tomorrow.

If the 230gr +P HSTs are reliable and accurate in my pistols I'm going to work them in the rotation....Thinking of staggering mags with both Bonded and HST.

There are pro's and con's to staggering the mags, I feel what works for YOU is the right thing, like I said above the Ranger T's or the HST rounds are my primary choices with the DPX in a 3rd mag if things really got nasty however I doubt that could ever happen if you pay attention to your surroundings, BUT in todays world anythings possible. Be Prepared ,Be Trained and be Armed

Thanks frostyeyes!!!

that is great info to have.I think IM gonna get the HS.
    the only pow'r'ball ammo i can find around here for 9mm is only
    100gr.+p. I am intrested to see some test results with the heavier load. but for now it will have to be hydra shok.
    I can see where this would be a good load for some pistols that have a history of not feeding hollow points reliably though!

thanks for all the feedback from everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by frostyeyes View Post
    There are pro's and con's to staggering the mags, I feel what works for YOU is the right thing, like I said above the Ranger T's or the HST rounds are my primary choices with the DPX in a 3rd mag if things really got nasty however I doubt that could ever happen if you pay attention to your surroundings, BUT in todays world anythings possible. Be Prepared ,Be Trained and be Armed
    I cound see if they were different weights, but they are both 230gr +P and there's only a 10fps difference according to Federal. Tac Bonded 950 fps Vs HST 960fps.

Now if I was staggering 185gr and 230gr, or +P and standard, or different brands all togther like Ranger Talons and Gold Dots, I could see where that could be a distraction.

I wouldn't stagger the HST 165gr and Tactical Bonded 165gr because there's a 90 fps difference. Would I notice it? Maybe not, but it could be just enough to throw me off. I'll have to test that.

I'm interested in hearing your take on it though..........What would your pros and cons be?
    Last edited by paratroop23; April 15th, 2007 at 05:25 AM.

Well ( flame suit on first) I have loaded my HD shotty in a similar fashion for years, starting with BB loads for the first 2 rds and going to #4buck after that with slugs on the stock for reloading but I practice with it that way and its 2nd nature for me after all these years. I know some Leo's who do something similar with there pistols for off-duty by loading half the mag with HP's and the other half with ball ammo not staggered but the HP's being the first to be used and the ball the last for shooting into barriers. In my pistols I usually carry my main load of the day ( was Ranger T's now might be HST's ) and a extra extra mag of something that will penetrate heavier barriers. The cons of the situation are that in a gunfight you wont remember what you are shooting, but IMHO I train that way and besides I am always shooting something that will stop a fight no matter what mag I'm on.

EBK: I'm gonna make a ammo order this coming week to get some more Ranger T and Federal HST's would you like to get in on it?
    PM me as my Cell is dead and I'lll shoot you the home #

pm sent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links