powe'r'ball

This is a discussion on powe'r'ball within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; is this a good self defense ammo? has anyone shot this stuff or carry it? I believe it is a corbon product....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powe'r'ball

powe'r'ball

is this a good self defense ammo?
    has anyone shot this stuff or carry it?
    I believe it is a corbon product.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    See HERE. There's a couple of threads about it, I think the link provided is the most current discussion.

Check this out.

www.thegunzone.com/powrball.htm

I don't carry it, but there's plenty of people who do.

9mm, .380 and .40 Cor-Bon Pow'R Balls in three of my carry guns.

Because of the feed ramp seam on the Sig P232 I was looking for an alternative to HPs, tried Pow'R Balls and haven't looked back.
    Very accurate ammo, little bit extra recoil, nothing I would get bothered about.

VIP Member
    I have it and recommend it.

I've used it in the past and I find nothing wrong with it, I use Federal HST's and Ranger T's now with a extra mag of DPX for in the car, almost all modern HP's work pretty darn good if it feeds in your SC it's as good a round as many out there, have you done any water test's yet?? That always makes for a fun day, gotta save those milk jugs and detergent jugs too, maybe we need to make a trip north some day for shootin.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I carry it in my 9mm weapons. I like the positive feeding, and if I have to shoot someone in heavy clothing, I should still get expnansion. I haven't been carrying Pow'rball in my 45, since it wasn't available from my supplier (ammoman). In the 45, I've been using Federal EPFMG, which is a similar concept.

DRT
    Quote Originally Posted by frostyeyes View Post
    I've ......I use Federal HST's and Ranger T's now with a extra mag of DPX for in the car......

Wow, you got all the good stuff, dont you.....

yeah I do but they are hard to find sometimes and then theres the $$$$ I keep the Micro Compact loaded with HST's w/extra mag and the another mag in the vehicle with DPX in it just in case I need to play drive and shoot.

Pow-R-Ball ammo for the P-3AT only...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

EBK I dont know if you saw this before or not but its a good sample of 9MM
    9x19mm Luger Pistol Cartridges Well there were pics but they dissappeared in transit.

Choices for Self Defense, Home Protection or General Carry (IMHO)

test Review & Summery

My personal view on 9x19mm bullet weights:

Since I personally favor the 124 Grain +P loads in 9x19mm pistol bullets I wanted to limit testing to the middle weight bunch. I have heard over some time now that the 147gr 9mm bullets were originally designed to be sub-sonic ammunition and that they are "too heavy for the 9mm cartridge", "they won't reach proper velocities", "they suffer from poor expansion" ect... ect... etc... These statements may hold merit and may be true. I wanted to see for myself so I decided to add the 147gr HST to the bunch. I've heard such good things about it I just had to see what it will do. It's tested in a category all of it's own without any comparison. It turned out that the 147gr HST was a good frame of reference for the massive Ranger-T's expansion. see further below...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedure:

Each round was fired 3 times into two 12" deep water jugs placed one behind the other.

Firearm:

Springfield XD-9 Service model with a 4" Barrel

Distance:

7 Yards from target

Temperature:

67F - 70F

Humidity:

Well, I'm from West Texas and it's pretty dry in the desert.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contenders: (100-127 Grain Class)

01.) Corbon Pow'R'Ball 100gr +P (PB09100)
    02.) Federal Hi-Shok 115gr JHP +P+ (9BPLE)
    03.) Federal Expanding-FMJ 105gr (PD9CSP2H)
    04.) Federal Hydra-Shok 124gr (P9HS1)
    05.) Federal Hydra-Shok 124gr +P+ (P9HS3G1)
    06.) Federal HST 124gr JHP (P9HST1)
    07.) Remington GoldenSaber BONDED 124gr +P BJHP (GSB9MMD)
    08.) SPEER GoldDot 124gr GDHP (23618)
    09.) SPEER GoldDot 124gr GDHP +P (53617)
    10.) Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)

Contenders: (147 Grain Class)

11.) Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

test Summery Image:

For closer inspection view these larger images: Front Face Top View Base View

01.)
    Corbon Pow'RBall 100gr +P (PB09100)

Muzzle velocity is rated at 1475 FPS (4" Barrel)
    Muzzle energy is rated at 483 FP/Lbs (4" Barrel)

Corbon LE WebSite: Pow'RBall (PB09100) Spec Sheet
    Corbon Dakotaammo WebSite: Pow'RBall (PB09100) Spec Sheet
    Note: Both of the Corbon sites list the same P/N (PB09100) with different specs. The LE site states 1100 FPS and the commercial site states 1475 FPS, that's a big difference. At a very light weight of 100gr and a +P load I find it hard to believe that this round is Sub-Sonic at 1100FPS. I tend to believe the 1475FPS spec.

Penetration:
    Penetrated a 12" deep water jug but FAILED to pierced the second jug.
    Expansion:
    The lead core expanded well in diameter and the jacket peeled back and showed signs of fragmentation.
    Expanded Diameter:
    0.622" (15.80mm)
    Retained Weight:
    94.2 Grains (both Jacket & Core together)
    Function:
    Functioned flawlessly in a Springfield XD-9 Services Model with a 4" barrel.
    My Personal Thoughts:
    I was expecting more from this round. The light 100gr +P load with the expansion enhancing polymer ball looked promising. The polymer ball also gives this round the outline of a FMJ and provides reliable feeding in my XD-9. I did 16+1 round rapid fire test and it cycled and fed flawlessly. Unfortunately this round suffered Core jacket separation in all three water jug tests, two additional tests turned out the same results. The Core expanded well, just as it was designed to do, the polymer ball certainly help create a nice wide expansion which flattened out the lead core. The jacket separated and showed signs of fragmentation, maybe it's a "feature" of the bullet I'm not sure, but it happened consistently in all tests. It penetrated the first water jug with a nice splash but failed to even dent the second. With less than 12" of penetration the recovered sample did not seem to have the weight or the drive. Poor penetration coupled with consistent Core Jacket separation in all tests makes this round a good range round but I personally would prefer something else for self defense, home defense or carry. I will, in the near future, try the Pow'RBall 125gr +P. I have a feeling the heavier grain bullet will carry more momentum for deeper penetration.

Additional pictures will be posted soon

02.)
    Federal Hi-Shok 115gr +P+ (9BPLE)

Muzzle velocity is rated at 1300 FPS (4" Barrel)
    Muzzle energy is rated at 430 FP/Lbs (4" Barrel)

Federal's LE Website: Hi-Shok (9BPLE) Spec Sheet

Penetration:
    Penetrated a 12" deep water jug, pierced the second and settled at the bottom of it.
    Expansion:
    Fierce Expansion, It nearly turned itself inside out.
    Expanded Diameter:
    0.620" (15.75mm)
    Retained Weight:
    102.8 Grains (there was a small piece of lead which fragmented and was not recovered)
    Function:
    My Personal Thoughts:
    Federal's LE Hi-Shok (9BPLE) has been issued to the Border Patrol and many law enforcement agencies for years. It's one of those "Tried, tested & True" rounds and it certainly shows. A phenomenal round with great penetration and excellent expansion. In my testing these rounds expanded so well they nearly turned themselves inside out. The recovered samples seemed to have a "skirt" of lead covering the entire bullet. Have a look at the larger pictures (sample 2 in Base View) and you will see that the lead core peeled back further then the base of the bullet. Also notice the long cuts in the jacket to enable this type of expansion. Not much else to say, this is a top performer. I personally like this round and would use it for home protection, self defense and as a general carry round.

03.)
    Federal Expanding-FMJ 105gr (PD9CSP2H)

Muzzle velocity is rated at 1230 FPS (4" Barrel)
    Muzzle energy is rated at 353 FT/LBS (4" Barrel)

Federal Premium Website: Expanding-FMJ (PD9CSP2H) Spec Sheet

Penetration:
    Expansion:
    Great Expansion, quick and easy, just as it was designed to.
    Expanded Diameter:
    0.653" (16.59mm)
    Retained Weight:
    104.9 Grains
    Function:
    My Personal Thoughts:
    This round is often underestimated, it hits the target like a freight train and with a blunt force unmatched by any of the other rounds I've tested so far, I was 7 yards away and got soaked every time. This is a ferocious hitter which delivers maximum energy on target. It's a shame they failed to pierce the second jug and hence penetration is less than 12". I know these bullets, by design, were meant to expand and push but without the minimum penetration it is left up to the individual to make the decision. Even though I really liked these little sluggers, I live in a state where hollow points are legal and given some of the other contenders available here, I'll pass.

04.)
    Federal Hydra-Shok 124gr (P9HS1)

Muzzle velocity is rated at 1120 FPS (4" Barrel)
    Muzzle energy is rated at 345 FT/LBS (4" Barrel)

Federal Premium Website: Hydra-Shok (P9HS1) Spec Sheet

Penetration:
    Penetrated a 12" deep water jug, pierced the second and settled at the bottom of it.
    Expansion:
    Expanded well in the typical ugly Hydra-Shok fashion with a collapsed post.
    Expanded Diameter:
    0.627" (15.93mm)
    Retained Weight:
    123.0 Grains
    Function:
    My Personal Thoughts:
    Your "Run of the mill" standard pressure Hydra-Shok. Muzzle velocity is rated at 1120FPS. These rounds showed good penetration in water with good expansion. I'm curious to see how they will perform in the next phase of testing where they will have to pass through four layers of denim. There has been some controversy over the "plugging up" of the hollow point cavity which considerably reduced expansion.

05.)
    Federal Hydra-Shok 124gr +P+ (P9HS3G1)

Muzzle velocity is rated at 1170 FPS (4" Barrel)
    Muzzle energy is rated at 375 FT/LBS (4" Barrel)

Federal's LE Website: Hydra-Shok (P9HS3G1) Spec Sheet

Penetration:
    Expansion:
    Expanded very well in the typical ugly Hydra-Shok fashion with a collapsed post.
    Expanded Diameter:
    0.704" (17.89mm)
    Retained Weight:
    121.3 Grains
    Function:
    My Personal Thoughts:
    Should be similar to the standard pressure Hydra-Shok, right? wrong! It failed to penetrate 12" of water. This round is the same weight as the standard pressure round just loaded hotter. In all three tests it hit the first water jug hard and tore it up pretty well but failed to even dent the second. I noticed, when comparing the two 124gr bullets, that the +P+ bullet had a much shorter post. Due to the shorter post and higher velocity these rounds expand too early too wide and lack the minimum penetration. This might change when I run these rounds through some denim, who knows. As it stands now the HS +P+ lacks minimum penetration.

06.)
    Federal HST 124gr JHP (P9HST1)

Muzzle velocity is rated at 1150 FPS (4" Barrel)
    Muzzle energy is rated at 365 FT/LBS (4" Barrel)

Federal's LE Website: HST (P9HST1) Spec Sheet

Penetration:
    Expansion:
    Expanded into a star shape with sharp edges just as it was designed to, impressive.
    Expanded Diameter:
    0.661" (16.79mm)
    Retained Weight:
    124.0 Grains (PERFECT)
    Function:
    My Personal Thoughts:
    The HST was designed with expansion in mind and to avoid the "plugging up" issues of the past Hydra-Shoks but it didn't stop there. The bullet has a large hollow point cavity and yet functioned flawlessly in my XD-9 service. Federal's design team efforts have produced one of the finest forms of bullet design technology to date. It is marketed to Law-Enforcement and is rapidly becoming popular amongst LE agencies nationwide. It wouldn’t surprise me if Federal announces a "Civilian Version" of this very successful round sometime in the near future. In my testing the HST showed consistent expansion with great penetration every time. What's hard to see in the pictures is just how sharp the edges of the lead core surface and jacket petals really are. I personally like this round and would use it for home protection, self defense and as a general carry round.
    Note: I can't wait to test out the +P loading of this great round.

07.)
    Remington Golden Saber BONDED 124gr +P BJHP (GSB9MMD)

Muzzle velocity is rated at 1180 FPS
    Muzzle energy is rated at 383 FT/LBS

Remington Ammunition - Golden Saber Driving Band
    Remington Military Products Division - Golden Saber BONDED Spec Sheet

Penetration:
    Expansion:
    Good expansion in diameter and sharp petal edges.
    Expanded Diameter:
    0.622" (15.80mm)
    Retained Weight:
    122.5 Grains
    Function:
    My Personal Thoughts:
    I was excited to test these babies out. These BONDED rounds were designed to pass through barriers. Remington has developed a process where they hot-bond the lead core to the jacket to maintain weight retention when passing through auto-glass or similar barriers. Further to which the shape of the bullet is designed with a "Driving Band". This band is a wide base which is seated in the casing. When fired this "Driving Band" centers the bullet perfectly in the bore and it is the only surface which meets the rifling, this design helps to further lock the jacket onto the core. These bullets exhibit some of the most advanced pistol bullet technologies to date and provide near match grade accuracy. With such fierce competition like the HST's, Ranger T's and other great rounds Remington proved to be ahead of the game with this top performer. I have no doubt they will perform just as well in the denim test. This would be a good carry round where shooting through a windshield might be an issue in a car-jacking situation.

08.)
    SPEER Gold Dot® 124gr GDHP (23618)

Muzzle velocity is rated at 1150 FPS
    Muzzle energy is rated at 364 FT/LBS

Speer Ammo Website: Gold Dot® (23618) Spec Sheet

Penetration:
    Expansion:
    Expanded well, just as it was designed to. Recovered a flower shaped bullet exposing the Gold Dot in the center.
    Expanded Diameter:
    0.599" (15.22mm)
    Retained Weight:
    124 Grains (PERFECT)
    Function:
    My Personal Thoughts:
    The Gold Dots are another one of those "Tried, tested & True" rounds. These shoot well, penetrate perfectly and expand in a controlled fashion into the typical Gold Dot flower exposing the little "Gold Dot" in the center of the bullet. They performed consistently without fail in all of my testing. Expansion was controlled and uniform, penetration was consistent and weight retention seemed to be near perfect. Although they are not marketed as BONDED rounds Speer uses the Uni-Cor process to achieve core jacket bonding and produce some of the best weight retention in the industry. The Gold Dot starts as an alloyed lead core, then using the Uni-Cor technology they bond the jacket to the core "one molecule at a time". Once that is done they create the memory lines for future expansion. The hollow point cavity is then finished to match weight and velocity with a smooth leading edge and uniform heel for reliable feeding and accuracy. Once the process is done the result is one of the finest pistol bullets in the market to date. The process is detailed on the Speer web site and I highly recommend you scoot on over and read up on it. This would be a good all purpose round. With the Speer Gold Dot you can enjoy the best of both worlds, great performance in a bonded package.

09.)
    SPEER Gold Dot® 124gr GDHP +P (53617)

Muzzle velocity is rated at 1220 FPS (4" Barrel)
    Muzzle energy is rated at 410 FT/LBS (4" Barrel)

Federal's LE Website: Gold Dot® (53617) Spec Sheet

Penetration:
    Expansion:
    Expanded very well, just as it was designed to. Recovered a flower shaped bullet exposing the Gold Dot in the center.
    Expanded Diameter:
    0.615" (15.62mm)
    Retained Weight:
    123.4 Grains
    Function:
    My Personal Thoughts:
    Same bullet as the standard pressure Gold Dot. Unlike Federal's approach of designing two different Hydra-Shok bullets of the same weight for the different pressures, Speer seated the same bullet on both the standard pressure and the +P loaded pressure rounds. Both performed beautifully, great penetration, controlled expansion and near perfect weight retention due to the Uni-Cor process of bonding core and jacket. The +P flavor expanded a little more and the petals were peeled back further exposing the Gold Dot in the center of the bullet. This is phenomenal round with exceptional performance. I personally love this 124gr +P flavor of the Gold Dots. It's a great piece of technology with a competitive price tag. Speer has out done themselves with the Gold Dots and the +P is a shining example of good bullet design.

10.)
    Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)

Muzzle velocity is rated at 1240 FPS (4" Barrel)
    Muzzle energy is rated at 440 FT/LBS (4" Barrel)

Winchester LE Website: Ranger T-Series (RA9TA) Spec Sheet

Penetration:
    Expansion:
    Expanded very well, beyond what I expected. Large in diameter with very sharp "talons", very impressive.
    Expanded Diameter:
    0.707" (17.96mm)
    Retained Weight:
    118.4 Grains
    Function:
    My Personal Thoughts:
    The Ranger T-Series is "supposed" to be the 3rd generation production of the infamous Black Talons. These rounds shoot well, penetrate perfectly and expand in a uniform and controlled manner. All tests produced consistent results with excellent performance. The Ranger T-Series feature the SXT's patented reverse taper bullet jacket and a notched hollow point design. This +P 127gr bullet expands reliably and uniformly into a frightening six petal flat headed monster. The hollow point design shows a thicker wall near the top to provide reliable expansion across a large velocity window and the thinner jacket at the heel provides for greater accuracy. This has got to be the only 127gr that I've seen expand to such a large diameter with six sharp protruding petals, have a look at the larger pictures, in particular Base View. This is by far one of the nastiest little critter I've come across and I would trust this round to perform well in stopping whatever gets in its way.
    Conclusion: This is one heck of a can opener.

Last but not least... The Fat Boy of the bunch...

11.)
    Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

Muzzle velocity is rated at 1000 FPS (4" Barrel)
    Muzzle energy is rated at 325 FT/LBS (4" Barrel)

Federal's LE Website: HST (P9HST2) Spec Sheet

Penetration:
    Expansion:
    Expanded into a large star shape with sharp edges just as it was designed to, very impressive.
    Expanded Diameter:
    0.704" (17.89mm)
    Retained Weight:
    146.0 Grains
    Function:
    My Personal Thoughts:
    These 147gr HSTs packs a walloping punch. They are rated at 1000FPS which is subsonic at room temperature (Remember that sound travels at 331 Meters per Second only at "Freezing" which is 0C or 32F. At room temperature 21C or 70F sound travels at 344 Meters per Second which equals to 1128 Feet per Second). These rounds, as you can see in the pictures, expanded without any problems and penetrated over 12" of water. They drive deep and expand well into the classic HST star shape. The edges are sharp and the bullet feels solid in its expanded state. I guess they "are NOT too heavy for 9x19mm cartridge", they "DO reach proper velocity" and they "DO NOT suffer poor expansion" well not these HSTs anyways. Deep penetration coupled with massive expansion and what seems to be near perfect weight retention makes these rounds a top pick. I was very impressed with the performance of these HSTs and can say it's a top performer that should not be dismissed based on hear say. I rest assured when using these heavy weights in any situation, be it Self Defense, Home Protection or just general Carry.

This Site is Under Construction... I will updated as time goes by...

Disclaimer

This is by no means a "scientific" test nor is presumed to be so. You may read this report, enjoy looking at the pictures and take my observations in any way you like. I by no measure force my opinion on any one. This site is informative and has been put up for the simple reason of sharing with the community.

With above stated, you may join our discussions on either one of these boards, feel free to participate and comment, as I welcome your input.

1. AR15.com → Handgun → Ammunition → 9x19mm Luger Pistol Cartridges
    2. XDTalk.com → The Ammo Can → Self Defense - 9x19mm Luger Pistol Cartridges

Try this link Self Defense - 9x19mm Luger Pistol Cartridges Darn it's not working

Excellent post frostyeyes.

I've seen enough info online discrediting the powr balls. I don't know of any agencys that carry them, and that's a good indication that they might not be the best performers.

Plus they are pretty expensive relative to its better peforming competition. At least in my case. (I carry .45 and .40) I don't know how the 9mm is priced.

Powr Balls are about $25 for a box of 20 after tax. I can get Federal HST, Winchester Ranger Talons, Speer Gold Dots or Federal Tactical Bonded rounds in a 50 pack for a similar price.

Like I said before, I don't carry them, but as you can see by this thread, plenty of people still do.

9mm or .40 is about the same price here, I think it was $20 for 9mm and $22 for .40 before tax last month when I bought a few boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    9mm or .40 is about the same price here, I think it was $20 for 9mm and $22 for .40 before tax last month when I bought a few boxes.
    $20-$22 for 20 rounds per box?

How many rounds do you run through your pistol to test for reliability?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links