Snubby ammo

This is a discussion on Snubby ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally made the plunge and purchased a Smith and Wesson M and P 340. Now the question is 1) What practice round is best/ok? ...

Thread: Snubby ammo

Snubby ammo

I finally made the plunge and purchased a Smith and Wesson M and P 340.

Now the question is
    1) What practice round is best/ok?
    2) What defense round (leaning to 3ea 38 +p, then 2ea 357)?

Any thoughts about Speer GoldDot 125 grain GDHP in both 38 and 357?

How about American Eagle for practice 38 special 130 gr FMJ?

I am just starting to read up on grains etc, not real clear yet

As always, looking forward to your comments

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    My practice ammo are Oregon Trail Laser Cast 158 grain semi wadcutters over 6 grains of HS-6 (about 750 - 800 fps out of a snub).

My carry ammo is Speer 135 gr 38 Special +P Short Barrel Gold Dot. Specially designed bullets to expand at velocities attained in very short barrels.

If I could handle the recoil 125 gr HP .357 is a well proven round. However in a lightweight snub follow ups might be a little slow. I carry the Speer 135 +P .38s in my snub. They certainly have performed well for me.

I ordered some Double Tap 125+P .38's to try out. He's getting just over 1000 ft/sec out of a snub with his load. Will be interesting to see how they shoot.

I, personally, would stick to one load in cylinders and speed loader. No sudden changes in handling. YMMV!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

DRT
    135gr .38 +P Gold Dot Short Barrel

I have a S&W 360 Airweight 3" barrel, I stoke it with remington golden saber 125gr. .357 mag. JHP
    This is a med. velocity not a full .357 round. The recoil is just a tad more than the speer gold dot .38+p.

Sigbear

Quote Originally Posted by DRT View Post
    135gr .38 +P Gold Dot Short Barrel

+1

Arrow Cold head,one hand,hit hard

If you read an article about U.S Border Patrol testing,it will be much easier to chose ammo not only for this gun but for all your weapons for self defense.
    They are the most expirience U.S. Agency in gun fight area.
    I believe that the best choise for D-fense is the load which is street proven.
    I think you should take the load which you can control,but when draw and shoot with one hand.
    Why ?
    I don t belive you will have time to grab,draw,conect your hand to a Weaver ,aim and then shoot the atacker.
    Much more posible is one hand draw,pointing front sight to atacker head or uper chest and neck and empty the weapon as fast as posible.Even wimpy 38 will do some damage if hit wright area.I would choose 125grs Golden Saber 357,if you are recoil sensitive.
    This is the load my wife is carying in hers S&W 60,357.
    If she can control it,you can,don t worry.
    If you hit atacker multiple in head,neck or uper chest,he will stop the atack,trust me.
    Make sure he cant be a threat to you any more.
    Then sit,take couple minutes off,just to see beter a whole picture.
    Then call 911 and report the ugly event.
    Why ?
    Because,if cops come to fast,that idiot who atack you manage to survive somehow,and tell them his side of a story,you could have a problems.
    More then one.
    God forbit this situation ever hapend to you,but,it will be much easier for you iff you prepare your self properly.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Kaligula; April 21st, 2007 at 07:09 AM.

1more for Speer 135gr+P. Still love the Rem. 158gr. LSWHP+P
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaligula View Post
    U.S Border Patrol
    They are the most expirience U.S. Agency in gun fight area.
    I thought it was the FBI.

AFAIK, the US Border Patrol does not have any firearms testing and forensic facilities approaching the capabilities of the FBI. In fact, I think the USBP has none of them and relies on the FBI to do that work.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    I thought it was the FBI.

AFAIK, the US Border Patrol does not have any firearms testing and forensic facilities approaching the capabilities of the FBI. In fact, I think the USBP has none of them and relies on the FBI to do that work.
    If you read Marshall& Sanow STOPPING POWER,from 199 page to 225 page,you will see it is true,and more realistic than FBI test.
    The article was writen by John Jacobs.
    Please,read the article and then I would like to hear your opinion about the subject.

I remember the old Federal NYCLAD 38sp round. Not even +P and it had uniform expansions in excess of .60! Don't know what happened to those. I usually stoke my M642 with MagSafe rounds for use here in South Florida. If I was carrying in a colder climate, I'd probably use Golden Saber 125gr.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Check out Corbon DPX.
    In my 340 PD, they have much less recoil than Speer GDSB in 38+P and 357. I've loaded both brands, same caliber, in the same cylinder to compare them and the DPX was much easier for me to control. My 340 PD is loaded with DPX +P as the first 2 and DPX 357 as the last 3.

coach

My nephew is U.S. Border Partol in Az. The FBI does all shooting investigations for all Federal Agencies as well as Ballistics tests. (Except in the case of USBP Agents Jose Compean and Nacho Ramos where US Attorney J. Sutton had Texas State Crime Lab do the Ballistics).

But, US Border Patrol Agents are engaged in a lot of shooting incidents and do have experience in gunfighting! They still teach quick draw point and shoot from the hip as part of their academy training.

Some of the country's most legendary gunfighters are the steely eyed Border Patrol Agents of yesteryear. Bill Jordan's No Second Place Winner is still considered to be "must reading" in most self defense circles.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I found this thread from another forum for sources for the Federal Nyclad ammuntion. Apparently it has changed names but still being produced. I hope this helps

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i...hp/t-3265.html
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links