compact .45

This is a discussion on compact .45 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; anyone carry a compact .45 and have any suggestions for defensive ammo as far as making up for velocity, penetration, and expansion? Thanks...

Thread: compact .45

compact .45

anyone carry a compact .45 and have any suggestions for defensive ammo as far as making up for velocity, penetration, and expansion? Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Bravo3
    With a compact you are probably going to have to experiment with different ammunition until you find the load that will do the job but not cause a jam in your gun. Not to knock your choice, but in a 1911, the .45acp was meant to be delivered through a full size 5" or 6" gun. At the very least, a 4" which is marginal IMO. There's simply nobody that can answer that question with any level of certainty without trying it. Good luck.

Well i consider the compact as a 4inch or so gun or little longer like my 1911sc ..So far the 1911sc runs on everything i fed it today still expermenting ... the Glock 36 had been a little more nit picky but does well with gold dots

I carry either a Para Companion (3.5" barrel) or Colt Defender (3" barrel). Both are loaded with Federal Premium, 230gr, Hydra-Shok JHP's. I don't really know the ballistics of this round from a short barrel, but, I also don't worry about it. I know this round will feed, fire and eject reliably from both pistols and that's my main concern. I don't believe in a "magic bullet" and think shot placement trumps other considerations. I wouldn't feel any better or any worse protected if my pistols were loaded with factory hardball, some super CorBon load, or my personal 200gr LSWC handloads. Except, for reasons I won't go into here and now, because it would take this thread off course, I prefer carrying factory ammo to my handloaded ammo.

Good shooting.....deadeye.

1952 - 2006
    I have a Kimber CDP Compact, which is an Officer's frame with a Commander 4" barrel. I shoot Federal 230 grain Hydra-Shoks in it for defense. In expansion tests I have run with wet newpaper they expand to .70 caliber vs my 5" custom where they expand to .78 caliber. Weight retention is about the same at 97%. I consider this to be more than adequate for my personal defensive load.
    I have some 165 and 185 grain Hydra-Shoks but I have never tested them for expansion or penetration. All of them function in my guns 100%, so I have no problem with carrying any of them. I just prefer to hurl the biggest, heaviest bullet at the BG I can.

As for velocity, I understand that you lose about 50 fps for each inch of barrel length you lose. The published velocity of Federal 230 Hydra-Shoks from a 5" gun is 880 fps.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    deadeye, I'm of the same opinion as you ref.---I don't worry about the ballistics out of a short bbl.--- The feeding,fireing,and ejecting is way more important.---THERE IS NO MAJIC BULLET--- And finally,and in my humble opinion ,shot placement is foremost and what I DO have time to worry about !!--- I would rather shoot simi fast and super accurate and put them in the COM than spend allot of time freting about the ammo in my weapon.------

VIP Member
    I use either 230gr. or 185gr. Gold Dots (whichever I can find to buy and have on hand at the time). Gold Dots feed perfectly out of my USPc, and they expand well. I'm terrible quoting ballistics, so I use what I know that works and the rest is up to aiming well and shooting until the threat stops.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I like the heavier Golden-Sabers, myself. However, I would also use the Gold Dots if I found them more often in my area. If I see Gold Dots they are usually in .40 SW.

I must add that all of my 1911 .45 ACPs are now in the full size configuration.

I did own an Officer's ACP, but used the heavy stuff there, as well.

i carry both a G36 and a G30 as a back up and a carry weapon. i have used both Golden saber and Gold Dot in a 230 gr.. They have been the two best for the money and what you can find in your area. depending alot on the recoil of your compact.... Good luck!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    RECOIL !! To me,recoil has an awful lot to do with what ammo I use/train with/carry in my CCW.My short bbl.(3") Kimber will function perfectly with the +P++ loads(COR BON etc.)but the muzzle flip is a little too much and my times back on target will suffer. Not much though. I would rather give up 0.2 - 0.4 sec. but put the shots(I ALWAYS double tap) on target. With my full size Colt I can do this with the 165gr. COR BON ammo.With my 25 oz.,3" Kimber I cannot. So I carry a somewhat "lighter" loaded 230 gr. Black Talon in my Kimber which are completely controlable.----

I carry a compact Witness .45 with the steel frame. It came with a ported barrel, but concerns with shooting from a retention hold and loss of velocity made me replace the 3.6" ported bbl with a 4.5" unported one. This made no difference in concealability, gave me some more power and I don't have to worry about getting blasted if I have to hold the gun in close when I shoot.
    I carry Cor-Bon 165s and a spare mag in a nylon knife sheath.

Before I wore it out, I carried a LW Commander with a 5" bbl.
    As a bonus, the extra barrel sticking out the front of the slide looks cool!

John
    Cape Canaveral

Very surprising results...having just got a new G30...i searched for what most thought the best all around round would be for the sub 4 in barrel. Magic bullets aside...I picked the Speer 200 gr +P Gold Dot as it was highly recommended and carried on Glock Talk. Decent velocity, decent weight and penetration...and it expands to .74 in ballistic gelatin tests from a G30 barrel. Sounds like the best of most worlds...now...practice practice practice...shot placement is EVERYTHING. And it has to reliably feed and cycle in your handgun.
    Brad B.

Links