Hollowpoints illegal in NC? - Page 2

Hollowpoints illegal in NC?

This is a discussion on Hollowpoints illegal in NC? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 How is something more Lethal? Hollowpoints are not designed to be "more" Lethal they are designed to expand and slow down ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Hollowpoints illegal in NC?

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    How is something more Lethal? Hollowpoints are not designed to be "more" Lethal they are designed to expand and slow down (Kind of like an airplane using flaps), reducing the risk of over penetration. The "More" lethal came from the media trying to put fear in the minds of someone who dosn't know anybetter.

Now do they make a bigger hole? Yes
    Does this mean that more parts of soft tissue get destroyed? Yes
    Does it mean it mean their more lethal? ehhhhhh IMHO No
    A shot in the toe with a hollow point is less likely to slow an attacker than a FMJ put center mass. This goes back to operator.

A good operator, with a good gun, and good quality HP's Maximize Your Potential.

But to say an object is lethal I don't think is a good statement.

The operator is the one who holds that card.

The reason that the "more lethal round" being in quotation marks was to describe what others would say. I only want to shoot what I aim at, and nothing after. If I put a 9mm FMJ round COM of a BG odds are that it will over penetrate and pick off my neighboor in her bedroom. For me that is more lethal. Now a bullet ripping a 6 inch hole though BG but staying inside the body, nope just lethal enough IMO.

cagueits, thank you for the website, While I was aware that a hollowpoint could still penetrate walls and such the likelyhood of them doing so after passing through a BG is far lower. (not too worried about my wife or I missing any BG in our apartment as it is only about 500 square ft with a layout that gives less than 10 feet of space between any two walls)

fed_wif_a_sig, Thanks for the safety slug idea never thought of them before, will be talking to my wife about them, as the next gun I will be purchasing will be hers. (She just cant lift my shotty, or cock my tokarev)
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

If my mind does not fail me NC says nothing about HP ammo. It does outlaw teflon coated ammo.
    Signature? What signature.

I bought my pistol from a close friend who is a Lt in a large city police force here in NC. He gave me a supply of hollow-tip bullets with the gun and assured me that they were legal to possess and use for self defense in my home. I do not know for a fact that they are legal, just trusting what my friend told me.

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like another misinformed cop to me.
    perfection likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    For those of you on the LEFT coast and reside in Cali, aka, Mexifornia, Land of Fruit and Nuts, etc. please be aware that in San Francisco, the City that brought us Di-FI, you as a citizen may not purchase, possess, or use Hollow Points as they are for LEO's only!

San Francisco Sentinel Blog Archives Mayor Lee Proposes Citywide Ban On Extra-Lethal Hollow Point Ammunition & New Notifications

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar

Hollowpoints illegal in NC?

NO!
    perfection likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    In a apartment or any house, I would highly recommend you invest in atleast 6 Glaser Blue Safety Slugs. Well worth the price of $2.50 each. I have participitated in test firing them through dry wall and even an old apartment building and of all the rounds they didnt go through them.
    GLASER or MAGSAFE. A lot of folks here (maybe all) disagree with my choice to carry a full magazine of MAGSAFE in my EDC gun. Some caveats: I only do this in the area where I live (Miami, FL) because it is highly unlikely that there will be any heavy clothing to break the load up prematurely. I don't want to have to fire in my environment and risk a missed shot that will bounce around or maybe go through my target to harm somebody behind. Even a clear miss that doesn't bounce will not go as far as "normal" round. For example, in my 45 my MAGSAFE loads are a 95gr load whereas most other ammo for this caliber ranges from 185 to 230 grains. So my carry load will run out of velocity and "oomph" faster than a standard loading for this caliber. If it happens to strike a solid object it will simply powder instead of fully penetrating. This is true, even for auto glass and I discovered this from my recent class at the Sig Academy "Bullets on Vehicles." So I'm going to have to reassess this potential failure in my EDC. My backup mags are always standard loadings in a variety of brands, depending on what I have close to hand.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40SCiinNC View Post
    NO!
    Thanks for the simple declaration. Planning on retiring there eventually. What are the prospects for the laws on carrying into movie theaters being changed soon? That is the only real issue I have with Carolina gun laws. IS there a modified Castle Doctrine in place, too? BTW?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Wow, a thread from 07'

Maybe the cop was a recent transplant from NJ.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I think that a lot the stuff that comes out about HP is back in the day lead bullets were some time scored or a X filed into the lead bullets and they were called Dumdums. I think I still have a board display from the 80s ( 2ftx3ft ) in storage it shows progression of bullets over time and how designs have changed, it shows bullet b4 and after but that I believe that it was just up to the early 80s

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Wow, a thread from 07'

Maybe the cop was a recent transplant from NJ.
    Well it's good to rehash old threads from time to time to get updates in the law that may have happened since they were originally posted. Like MY question on the needed changes to NC law concerning carrying in places that charge admission like movie theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    I think that a lot the stuff that comes out about HP is back in the day lead bullets were some time scored or a X filed into the lead bullets and they were called Dumdums.
    LOL I just remember taking my kid to see Roger Rabbit when she was little and there was that spot in the movie where the cartoon character fires a cylinder full of "cartoon bullets" that seem to be animated literally and when they get to a corner where the bad guy they're "chasing" has turned, they go in the OTHER direction. Whereupon the private eye that fired the load grumbles: DUM-DUMS!
    perfection likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Good to hear this is not true! I'm hoping to be moving back to NC by the end of this year.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Yup, hollow points are good to go even seven years later.

Now Teflon coated bullets that's a different story. They are totally illegal to even possess in NC.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    I think that a lot the stuff that comes out about HP is back in the day lead bullets were some time scored or a X filed into the lead bullets and they were called Dumdums...
    Dumdum originally referred to any expanding bullet design, and was named after the British Indian Army's Dumdum Arsenal in Calcutta, where the first JSP's were produced around the turn of the last century.

I recall seeing scored or filed bullets as you describe, referred to as "dumdums", in some old pulp fiction novels I read as a kid. I'm thinking maybe Doc Savage, or The Shadow(?). Hadn't thought about those in a while!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links