HD Shotgun Ammo Question

This is a discussion on HD Shotgun Ammo Question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had this thought well filling up the bandoleer of shotgun shells I keep with my Stoeger Coachgun today. There is the constant debate with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HD Shotgun Ammo Question

Question HD Shotgun Ammo Question

I had this thought well filling up the bandoleer of shotgun shells I keep with my Stoeger Coachgun today. There is the constant debate with pistol ammo about what brand is better (HSTs vs. Silvertips vs. Rangers vs. Pow'rballs vs. ect...) and will do the "best" job. I am not sure that I have ever seen such a debate about brands of shotgun ammo (the slugs vs. 00BK vs. 4BK debate is not what I want here, there are enough of those). But is there any brand of shotgun ammo that is supposed to be superior to HD?

I keep my scattergun and bandoleer loaded with most just Remington green box 00, with a few of the Brennke "K.O." one ounce slugs going the other way so I don't grab them by accident. I have those two brands because I have tested them in my weapons, and they are cheap (not the best reason, but they shoot, and I wouldn't want to catch a load of them in the chest). For a box of 5 for either they can be found for 2-3 bucks at Bass Pro Shops or similar places.

So, is there really any difference in brands of HD shotgun ammo, or is there something better I am just not aware of?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Some is better than others, but with the gun and likely ranges we are talking about, I dont think its going to matter much at all.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, I don't think its going to matter all that much anyways across a room with both barrels going, I know if going for deer I probably wouldn't use the Brennke's, but then again, they would be a last resort just in case there was something really thick that I had to shoot through.

If there are brands that are though better of than others I would be interested to know about them though. For Zombie blasting sake or something like that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    it seems to me that most of the discussion about handgun ammo and which brand is better comes down to the action of the bullet after it strikes its target. Most SD rounds are hollow-points, so the question becomes "how well and how reliably do they expand and transfer energy to the target?" For shotgun shells, that's really not relevant. The pellets (or slugs) usually don't do any crazy acrobatics or fragmnet on impact, because they're not designed for that. Once you have a lead sphere traveling in a particular direction, there's not too much variation to be had.

I suppose you could look into steel or tungsten shot, or maybe something even more exotic, but IMO, for HD, lead works just fine, as long as the round you choose goes bang when you want it to and has enough powder behind it.

Bob,
    I was pretty much figuring that. Looking around at shotgun ammo on Cheaper Than Dirt, they do have some LE stuff that is low recoil or supposed to have a reduced flash, and I can see where that could help.

Or they have hollowpoint slugs, which I don't see the point in, because the will probably still go all the way through a person or deer, and how much bigger than a 12 gauge hole do you really need?

Just something that I was wondering about.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    As far as slugs go, I LOVE the Brenkke "KO" slugs. Best slugs for the price anywhere. Less recoil than most of the "standard power" slugs, but not as expensive as the low recoil types.... and they shoot to POA with my shotgun at 25 yds, which is good enough for me. My local gun store has them at $2.09 for box of 5. Wolf slugs are pretty good to, but they are $2.49 for 5.

As for shotshells, check out this little test:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

Clearly #1 & #4 shot have enough penetration to get the job jone, while penetrating fewer walls than OO and OOO buck, and FAR fewer walls than handgun rounds.

Something to think about.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Definitely stick with lead....steel shot doesn't deform as much which is bad. I like Hornady TAP 00 Buck for my HD gun. Wolf slugs are great but I don't see the need for slugs against any baddies entering my house, unless he's wearing body armor.

Then I go for my AR.

My Buckeye Brother:

It seems that from all I've read (a lot), if your using a cylinder or Improved choke, Federal w/flight control wad, or Hornady TAP is the way to go. These offer the tightest pattens out of these chokes. Myself, as if you care, I use a modified choke with #1 buck. It puts a fist sized hole in things out to 40'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    it seems to me that most of the discussion about handgun ammo and which brand is better comes down to the action of the bullet after it strikes its target. Most SD rounds are hollow-points, so the question becomes "how well and how reliably do they expand and transfer energy to the target?" For shotgun shells, that's really not relevant. The pellets (or slugs) usually don't do any crazy acrobatics or fragmnet on impact, because they're not designed for that. Once you have a lead sphere traveling in a particular direction, there's not too much variation to be had.
    I agree with the above, shotgun slugs and pellets are pretty uniform/low tech compared with pistol hollowpoints, but I think there's another factor at work here too. Pistol cartridges are all underpowered when it comes to stopping a human being. This means that relatively small differences between rounds/calibers could mean the difference between a successful and a failed stop. A 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs or 00 buck is more than adequate for taking down a human target. A little more or less performance here or there isn't likely to make a difference.

if you are using this as a HD gun, I would be more worried about penetration issues...

I took my last deer with a brenneke at 125 yards, and we recovered the slug in the rear hip (I shot from front to rear through the heart) it traveled over three feet in the deer.

I always used two #6 shot first, then 00 followed by slugs in my HD lineup, #6 should be plenty to make a rat hole wound in most rooms, 00 works for thru the wall and down the hall, and slugs, well that works on vehicles too

(hmmm wonder what the liability issue is for giving the bad guy "lead" poisoning??)

(do I win anything for my 200??)

Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post
    if you are using this as a HD gun, I would be more worried about penetration issues...

I took my last deer with a brenneke at 125 yards, and we recovered the slug in the rear hip (I shot from front to rear through the heart) it traveled over three feet in the deer.

I always used two #6 shot first, then 00 followed by slugs in my HD lineup, #6 should be plenty to make a rat hole wound in most rooms, 00 works for thru the wall and down the hall, and slugs, well that works on vehicles too

(hmmm wonder what the liability issue is for giving the bad guy "lead" poisoning??)

(do I win anything for my 200??)
    If you look at the Box O' Truth page someone posted earlier, 00 still tended to penetrate else than 9mm .45 and .223. But, as I said above, this isn't about what size as much as it just if their are any brands or loadings that are thought to be superior.

My Coachgun has Improved Cylinder and Modified chokes, although at room length distances, I don't think any choke is really going to make that big of a difference (assuming of course you aren't trying to shoot slugs through a tight choke). As expansion will only be a couple of inches.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Some is better than others, but with the gun and likely ranges we are talking about, I dont think its going to matter much at all.
    I think Sixto is right a $5 box of 7&1/2'S will work as well as anything.

For Zombie blasting sake or something like that.
    They disappear when you wake up.

They disappear when you wake up.
    You would think that, but sometimes walking home from work late at night I'm not so sure thats true. There are some strange "critters" around campus.

I think Sixto is right a $5 box of 7&1/2'S will work as well as anything.
    I am not sure I want to go all the way to 7 or 8 shot, I am comfortable with anything bigger than #4 Buck in my shotgun for self defense. Not that I really have any experience to back it up being as I have never used it for defense, but that seems to be a consensus.

The Remington 00 and Brennke's aren't all that expensive. I can deal with 2 bucks for a box of 5 (still cheaper than some of the .45 defensive ammo I've seen).

So, it would appear that for HD, brands really don't make a difference as far as shot shells are concerned. Thanks for the input.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar

Cool

I like Federal Tactical they have low recoil and have less loss of night vision.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links