Recommended ammo for KelTec P3AT - Page 2

Recommended ammo for KelTec P3AT

This is a discussion on Recommended ammo for KelTec P3AT within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Rather than take up a lot of space I'll link the opinion I gave on this subject on another forum... http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaB...543138;start=0 My carry mix is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rather than take up a lot of space I'll link the opinion I gave on this subject on another forum...

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaB...543138;start=0

My carry mix is now Santa Barbara (non-expanding) with Remington Golden Saber (expanding) loaded as I stated in my linked article.

I have some Remington hollow point that my Buddy gave me when I bought my gun. I shot about 50 rnds through it to function fire. Cleaned it put it back in it's holster and in my pocket for it's intended purpose BACK UP. Not a gun I prefer to go plinking with.
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

testing

We just did some non-scientific testing at the gunshop. Wet newspaper covered with a good quality T shirt. The only round that didn't expand from the KT was the Hydra Shok. Gold Dot, Gold Saber, SXT (not talon, plain SXT) and Silvertip all expanded fine and had good penetration (they were all found in about the same place). None were affected or plugged up by the cloth. The Hydra Shok expanded fine from a Beretta 85, so I suspect a velocity issue. Of the employees who carry the .380 (mostly the KT) one uses Gold Dot, one Gold Saber. My girlfriend has Hydra Shok in her Beretta 85, and I have Gold Saber in my Colt Government .380 and an old Sigma. No one uses the Silvertip, but it wouldn't be a bad choice, it comes in 50 round boxes and is cheaper round for round than the others. I've never been a big SXT fan, but it worked OK. I think the PMC Starfire is an under-appreciated bullet, but had none in .380 to test. Shooting stuff is fun, not work, but don't tell the boss.

I agree with whomever said carry what your Kel-Tec likes. I have Gold Dots in mine. I've carried the Hydra-Shoks before, too. Both function well in mine, as do pretty much anything else I've tried. I've heard so much about the .380 not penetrating, that I did some tests, too. Shot some mounted, pressurized radial car tires. The Hydra-Shoks tore into 'em with no problem (leaving a lovely hole as the sharp edges of the hollowpoint worked like a cookie cutter. This QUICKLY depressurized the tire and made me wonder if they'd "bite" into bone better than some softer JHPs). I put a 1x4 pine board (it's what I had on hand) in the passenger seat of a junk car. Fired through the winshield. Gold Dots and Winchester white-box FMJ flat points both went through the glass, through the board, and through the seat. That tells me they'd at least get into a bad guy (just WHY I'd be shooting through a windshield with a .380 in any circumstances where it is my primary pistol might take some legal s'plainin', but hey, it was a fun test).
    I used to have another .380 years ago and I carried Silvertips in it. They always seemed to do well accuracy/reliability wise, but unless they've changed, keep an eye on 'em. If you load and unload a lot, the soft bullets tend to get loose and can get set back in their cases. Again, Winchester might have fixed this, but it pays to keep it in mind.
    I honestly doubt you'd see much expansion in a bad guy given the P3AT's short tube, but put 'em where they count and I doubt he'll complain. Personally I like the idea that the hollow points might bite into a bone rather than deflect like a FMJ supposedly can.

I use Gold Dots with no problems.

Hornady XTP. Why? It's what was available and it does feed just fine.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

my p3at likes ball ammo the best. rem umc works well for me. also, gold dot and hydro works well.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Mine uses MagTech First Defense with zero problems.

I carry 102gr. Golden Sabers in mine with no problems.

I like the 102 gr Golden Sabre also. Bigger is better. I have used Corbon 90gr also. Lots of good stuff out there and no magic bullets

I've been happy with Win. Silver tips.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I carry HydraShok in my P3AT, with no feed problems. It's a backup gun, use what you're comfortable using that works 100% for you.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Gold Dots for me.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Someone said there is no +P or +P+ SAAMI rating for 380 ammo, only "hot" loads. Is this true? That may be why the DPX doesn't say +P anywhere.

It's true, there is no official +P or any other higher rating for .380 ammo.

I switched to Corbon DPX in my (and my wife's) P3AT. I previously used 102g Golden Sabers, partly because of the heavier bullet, partly because the nice round nose fed well.

If I carry an extra mag (P3AT is sometimes my primary carry where I need deep concealment or it's hot and I have light clothing on) it usually has Santa Barbara police surplus FMJ ammo. It's very hot stuff but I don't know if it's available any more. I figure if 7 rounds of .380 JHP hasn't stopped whatever the threat is, FMJ is a good idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links