Specialty Ammo Worth It?

Specialty Ammo Worth It?

This is a discussion on Specialty Ammo Worth It? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see "premium" specialty ammo at the gun store every now and again that cost an arm and a leg for just 5 or 10 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Specialty Ammo Worth It?

Specialty Ammo Worth It?

I see "premium" specialty ammo at the gun store every now and again that cost an arm and a leg for just 5 or 10 rounds.

Is there anything to these?

Depends on what your definition of premium is. If it's something gimmiky like extreme shock fang faced terrorist crack head seeking super whamo rounds for $10 a round, no. If you're talking about something like Federal Premium or it's like for certain uses, yes.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    He may also be referring to Glaser Safety Slugs or Magsafe. Both of those are expensive rounds that have earned good reputations, but caveat emptor.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

kpw
    I could see a limited use for Glaser and Mag-Safe type frangible rounds when over penetration might be a valid concern. When I lived in an apartment building, I kept a GP100 loaded with Glasers. For general use, I stick to standard jhp. Exotics are pricey and they have limited applications. Premium ammo, like Hornady TAP, Gold Dot, Golden Saber and the like, are worth every penny to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    He may also be referring to Glaser Safety Slugs or Magsafe. Both of those are expensive rounds that have earned good reputations, but caveat emptor.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/
    Yes, Magsafe is a good example.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Short barrel Speer Gold Dots are definitely worth it.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Depends on what your definition of premium is. If it's something gimmiky like extreme shock fang faced terrorist crack head seeking super whamo rounds for $10 a round, no. If you're talking about something like Federal Premium or it's like for certain uses, yes.
    +1

There is no magic bullet, but there is "premium" expansion, accuracy and consistency. This can always be had as long as the box says "Federal" somewhere on it.

I think +P, +P+ are gimmicks, which are unnecessarily hard on guns and slow follow-up shots. Some of the others have their purpose-specific merits, but I dont think, for all round carry use, that you can beat standard pressure Federal HST2, or good ole' Speer Gold Dot.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    +1

There is no magic bullet, but there is "premium" expansion, accuracy and consistency. This can always be had as long as the box says "Federal" somewhere on it.

I think +P, +P+ are gimmicks, which are unnecessarily hard on guns and slow follow-up shots. Some of the others have their purpose-specific merits, but I dont think, for all round carry use, that you can beat standard pressure Federal HST2, or good ole' Speer Gold Dot.
    Agreed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

yeah, but when I travel in snake country I do like to put a couple of shot loades on top

As I age the eyes don't line the sights up quite as fast ... or so I'm told

other than those I leave specialty ammo alone (I did have some pistol "flares" a few years ago...)

premium ammo I would agree is worth it - I like Speer too

As long as I live in South Florida I will load my primary magazine with MagSafe because I like the lack of over penetration and I like the lack of richochet potential even more. I don't have to worry about the round opening up too soon in a heavy jacket. My spare mag will continue to be conventional ammo like Hornady TAP, or Speer Gold Dot or even Cor-Bon DPX. I have a buddy that is retired SpecOps who swears by the RBCD brand, but they're so expensive...I once found a box of 20 about 8 years ago at a gunshow for about $35 and I snapped it up. I don't put a lot of faith in forums like the BOX-O-TRUTH. I tend to listen to the folks who've BTDT and rely on real life.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

oh, man, great link, ive never seen that.

great thread.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    What is your life worth? I only carry name brand quality JHPs to defend mine and my families lives.

For home guns, each of my house pistols are stuffed with Glasser BLUE Safety Slugs. Silver allows for deeper penetration, but in my house its the Blue.

I have wittnessed many a autopsy during the past twenty years (more than I want to remember), and responded to well over 100 shootings, and in each and every case the insides of a person shot with Glassers was devistating.

Only once have I seen Glasser Blue's not work immediatly, and it was a case of a home invastion and the suspect was shot six times with 45ACP Glasser Blues with no observed effect, until the homeowner switched to CCI's 200gr Flying Ashtray. However the BG was about 5'10" and 350#s. There was alot of blubber to stop them Glassers.

If they wernt so expensive, I'd be tempted to carry them as my full load, but at this time, only the top three rounds in my semi-autos are Glasser Blue (and in winter time Glasser Silver for the extra penetration).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I don't put a lot of faith in forums like the BOX-O-TRUTH. I tend to listen to the folks who've BTDT and rely on real life.
    +1

Been There and Done That is one of the best boxes of truth you can ever fine. I have always done my research on actual shootings. Not some hyped up study of how a bullet causes damage to bowl of jello.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

"Over penetration", with handgun ammunition, is largely a myth.

Safety slugs...

Randy

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Nice little presentation Randy, however, on the other hand I've seen the same Glaser Blue's do alot better. Their speciality ammo for special purposes and I know of alot more incidents where they did just as advertised than of the ones where they didnt.

Oh if the Blue's penetration isnt deep enough for you, there is always the Gray tips.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links