45 A.C.P. vs .45 G.A.P. Cartidge

This is a discussion on 45 A.C.P. vs .45 G.A.P. Cartidge within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking through the Glock Annual magazine which I received in the mail this week. I saw a statement regarding a new .45 caliber ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 A.C.P. vs .45 G.A.P. Cartidge

45 A.C.P. vs .45 G.A.P. Cartidge

I was looking through the Glock Annual magazine which I received in the mail this week. I saw a statement regarding a new .45 caliber cartidge known as a .45 G.A.P. A statment said the new G.A.P ammo could not be used in the Glock 21 and I guess the newer .45 models (37,38 and 39) can not use A.C.P. ammo.

So what is the difference between the A.C.P round and the G.A.P. For those who have .45's other than a Glock, are both of the round interchangable in your pistol.

2. Remove Ads

no there not the 45 gap is a shrunk 45 acp think 10mm 40 short and weak going to a gap give about a reduction in grip of 1/8 th of a inch

Lead Moderator
    to try and clarify . the GAP round has a shorter case than the .45 ACP. you could chamber the GAP in a ACP, but it would be short in the chamber. So no the rounds are not interchangeable .

DC Founder
    I think I will stick with .45ACP for my my main carry gun. The GAP might be worth considering for a backup, though.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I don't think the .45 GAP is a bad catridge at all, it just seems like an unneccessary one. Why reinvent the wheel?

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    RRR,

Other than the butt, the problem with making autos smaller comes from 'slide timing.' The longer a cartridge gets, the wider the grip must be for the magazine, and the longer a slide must travel to the rear to eject the casing and strip off a fresh round. Think of the Coonan, the L.A.R. and the Desert Eagle.

The problem with the 10mm Auto was that it could not be built on a 9mm chassis.

My research shows that even in reloading the GAP hits as hard as the ACP.

Why not take advantage of this aspect when building concealable firearms?

From what I've come to understand about the .45 GAP is that it's similiar to the .45 ACP in performance.

Chambering a full-sized Glock or 1911 for it is somewhat unnecessary.
    It will really come into its own when Springfield makes a 7/8th sized 1911 for it.

Think about it, a truly small-framed 1911 with .45 ACP performance that willl hopefully be more reliable than the 3" 1911s.

Administrator

.45 Gap ~ .45 Acp

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I think I will stick with .45ACP for my my main carry gun. The GAP might be worth considering for a backup, though.
    Why would you carry two different types of ammunition? It would bake more sence to make them both ACP or GAP. If i carry a glock 19, my backup gun's obviously gonna be a 26.

1952 - 2006
    At the SHOT Show I saw a Terry Tussey custom 1911 built for the 45GAP. The gun was the size of a 380. It had a cocking system similar to the SFS system. It was displayed at the Kahr Firearms booth. I want one so bad it hurts....but what would actually hurt is the price. Terry said he wanted $3000 for it. OUCH!!!
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Administrator
    My gut feeling is that there are going to be lots of various micro .45s on the drawing board built around the GAP.
    It should be interesting to see what firearm designs the various makers will come up with.

I guess I'm just dense. I look at the .17 HMR and say why bother? Then they make all sorts of cool .17 caliber rifles. I look at them in admiration until I realize what caliber they're chambered in and then grumble like a grouchy old man about why can't they just make that same gun in .22 WMR...

Same story different caliber I guess. I don't see the point here either.

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    At the SHOT Show I saw a Terry Tussey custom 1911 built for the 45GAP. The gun was the size of a 380. It had a cocking system similar to the SFS system. It was displayed at the Kahr Firearms booth. I want one so bad it hurts....but what would actually hurt is the price. Terry said he wanted $3000 for it. OUCH!!!
    Terry certainly is a gifted Master pistolsmith with many excellent products. For those who are not that familiar with him or his craftsmanship, check this out:
    http://www.tusseycustom.com

If all things go as planned, I will be attending one of his week long classes this year on Customizing the Colt-type Auto Pistol!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Red face

I've always thought that the old Mauser and Luger designs of the 1890's thru 1930's was the best, if not second best to the 1911, design ever for a semi-auto. I've wondered why there wasn't a model for the .45 acp......perhaps the .45 gap would work even better with that design......maybe someday, worth tinkering around a bit....anyway, would love to see one.

Lead Moderator
    Actually , there was a Luger chambered for .45aCP. It was made for testing for the US army , before adoption of the 1911.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links