22lr vs 32

22lr vs 32

This is a discussion on 22lr vs 32 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I dont need all the " Thats to small stuff" But which one of the 2 would be better I in mind to say 22LR ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22lr vs 32

22lr vs 32

I dont need all the " Thats to small stuff"
    But which one of the 2 would be better
    I in mind to say 22LR with HPs
    What do you think ?
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopher View Post
    I dont need all the " Thats to small stuff"
    But which one of the 2 would be better
    I in mind to say 22LR with HPs
    What do you think ?
    If it's .32 s&w long, ballistics are better for the .22; however, I 'd use a stinger.

If you must use a .22 for defense, and nothing wrong with that, try the Quick Shock from CCI:
    http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx

A quick "burst" of .22s beats a miss with a bigger caliber that you can't shoot well. As for reliability, the technology of inspecting the ammo is much better than the old days. Don't remember the last time I had an ammo-related failure of a premium .22. The Quick Shocks fragment even from the 1" NAA mini, and are powerful on the local racoon population from a rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Considering the fact that most people that require shooting will be on drugs,drunk, extremely upset or simply not in their right state of mind, I would choose the largest caliber that I could quickly and accurately shoot.

If in your case,that happens to be the .32, that it what I would use...since you already know that the .22 is too small...

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Im going to say what you do not want to hear. Neither of those calibers would be very effective for self-defense unless you shot them through the eye. I think I would want to carry a larger caliber that will count more when I did hit the target. .380 is the smallest caliber I would feel semi-comfortable with. From reading your post it seems like you want a very small, light, concealable weapon. If I were you I would at least consider the Kel-Tec P3AT, the black/blued version runs about $239-$289. (Its a very small weapon, and at least a minimum caliber *opinions vary* for self defense. You can carry it easily in your pocket with no signs of it being in there.) I would hugely prefer 9mm or larger though, more leaning towards .40 or .45. (I carry .40)Do you want to stop the intruder as SOON as possible, or just piss him off more as he advances on you? Best to think about these situations now than regret them later. I guess to answer your question if I had to choose I would go .32, but I would be scared to even get in a confrontation with a pea shooter like that, even if my magazine held 50 rounds.
    Good luck with whatever you decide on.
    Last edited by floridaguy911; May 13th, 2007 at 09:31 PM.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

which 32 ? 32ACP, 32Mag, 32RF ?

If you go with a rimfire for a carry gun, rotate the ammo frequently. Those rimfires can get finicky quick. And you have no excuse because the ammo is sooooo cheap !

Assistant Administrator
    My consideration actually would be less toward just the cal issue - but rimfire vs centerfire.

Rim fires can and do fail to initiate .... whereas centerfire is all but rock solid reliable. .32 mag has it's place IMO in a suitable snubby.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911 View Post
    Im going to say what you do not want to hear. Neither of those calibers would be very effective for self-defense unless you shot them through the eye. I think I would want to carry a larger caliber that will count more when I did hit the target. .380 is the smallest caliber I would feel semi-comfortable with. From reading your post it seems like you want a very small, light, concealable weapon. If I were you I would at least consider the Kel-Tec P3AT, the black/blued version runs about $239-$289. (Its a very small weapon, and at least a minimum caliber *opinions vary* for self defense. You can carry it easily in your pocket with no signs of it being in there.) I would hugely prefer 9mm or larger though, more leaning towards .40 or .45. (I carry .40)Do you want to stop the intruder as SOON as possible, or just piss him off more as he advances on you? Best to think about these situations now than regret them later. I guess to answer your question if I had to choose I would go .32, but I would be scared to even get in a confrontation with a pea shooter like that, even if my magazine held 50 rounds.
    Good luck with whatever you decide on.
    My point is
    I have a lady friend who will not shoot the 380
    due to noise and recoil
    ( my wife and I both carry Bursa T380 or CC )
    But she knows the need to carry
    and wishes to buy one . I just want her to have the best chance
    maybe I can move her up later. But!

If she wont shoot it ,I cant Teach her to shoot it.
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

VIP Member
    Good luck getting your friend into the mindset, Gopher. I understand your needs, and would personally choose a .32 ACP, though I don't see there being enough of a difference to really matter. The Kel-Tec P32 or one of the tiny Berettas in .32ACP might be a good "starter" for her, with the idea of working up to "real" calibers as she gets comfortable with the concept, the noise, and the recoil.

Again, good luck - you're fighting the good fight.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I own both a Keltec P-3AT and a P-32 and feel that these are not the guns for someone who has very little experience. A good 22 lr that can be carried and practiced with frequently would be a good training piece.

Have you looked at the Beretta Bobcat? They are a little weird to get used to with the breakdown barrel to load the first round in the tube, but I was impressed at how comfortable they are. Plus, they can be easily concealed. They are also much "prettier" than the Keltec.

Thanks
    As I stated My wife and I carry Bersa's
    and after 500 rds at least per gun
    with NO problems
    We will at lest try out the Firestrom
    22's &32's
    I know our range has the 22s for rent
    Thanks for the input
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

Gopher, my very small statured wife carries "my" Walther P22 loaded up with those Aguila 60gr SSS .22s. I've tried her on a CZ50 .32 (didn't like the heavy trigger or the overall weight). Tried her several times on my .380 Kel-Tec P3AT (hated the recoil [her shooting arm has a metal plate from a shattered radius bone ... VERY recoil sensitive]). I've tried a 9mm Glock 26, a .38 snub, ... etc. She keeps going back to the Walther .22 . I KNOW it's not a powerhouse, but I'd rather her carry the gun she will cheerfully fire several hundred rounds through each range trip than one she dislikes, won't practice with, etc. She's a better shot than most of the "professionals" I work with. In short, I feel your pain with the lady friend's insistance. On the other hand, I've worked shootings (admittedly most were suicides) with .22s and .25s that taught me it's WHERE the bullet goes, not how big it is that matters.
    Okay, all that aside, if she'll accept the .32, it is "better" than the .22 (larger caliber for all that matters in pocket pistols, and centerfire is more reliable than rimfire). BUT, don't push, let her get what she's going to shoot the most. Be sure to go over failure drills with her no matter which caliber. Smaller guns in any caliber are more sensitive to grip, etc. and thus more prone to jamming and such. With the .22 remember ALL rounds are gonna be subsonic from a small pistol. Get what feeds reliably. Those "SSS" rounds are good such as they are, but if the gun favors Stingers, or Mini-mags, or "Wal-Mart Specials," then go with what works.
    Good luck!

I have never understood the underestimation of a .22 lr. Granted, I prefer a larger caliber personally, but if I could only have one gun, it would be a .22 semi-auto. In fact it would be a Ruger MkII.

The .22 is not a head shot round. The skull is too thick. The .22 is a gut round. Bones are too dense for the .22 to reliably penetrate, but a handful in the breadbasket will put a hurting on anyone. It may not kill, but certainly make a BG wish they hadn't been there.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I have Beretta Tomcat and have loved it. However I woudl suggest the 22lr and then see if you can't move her up. 22 are great for practice and cheap to shoot. Best of luck

The NAA .32 Guardian or the Beretta Tomcat are perfect and the only clear choices here compared to the .22, the venerable .32 acp is actually a somewhat potent self defense round with proper shot placement and ammo type, and is easy to control recoil wise for most with low muzzle flash, in fact less than some .22 lr rounds. The .22 is great for plinking and maybe even very small game hunting when you can afford a jam, but when your life or a loved ones' is one the line you damn sure better make sure it's a centerfire round in the magazine/chamber and at least .32 acp minimum for self defense. I recently picked up my North American Arms "Guardian" .32 acp at the local gun range for $250 in excellent/mint condition and after a few hundred rounds at the range on several occasions so far I have had absolutely NO misfires or feed issues. In fact, this gun is now in my pocket everywhere I go and despite the weight (it's all stainless steel) it's barely noticeable. It's constant double action trigger with a big 13lbs of pull allows you to safely carry one in the chamber (no safety) with 6 in the mag for a healthy 7 rounds of silvertip back-up lifesavers, ALWAYS loaded with Winchester Silverips for that matter! (or Cor-Bon! too)I surely would'nt want to be the BG on the receiving end! So in short, the .32 without a doubt! If you wanted to go for the ultimate .32 acp small carry gun, it would be the Seecamp. ;)

Good luck, and stay strapped!

- FL Dude.
    Last edited by fldude; May 17th, 2007 at 05:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links