Ammo Suggestions

This is a discussion on Ammo Suggestions within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The store I own is in a strip mall of sorts and I am between two other businesses. Any suggestions as to what I should ...

Thread: Ammo Suggestions

Ammo Suggestions

The store I own is in a strip mall of sorts and I am between two other businesses. Any suggestions as to what I should carry in 9mm and 32 to prevent casualty of someone in one of these other store if I should have to fire upon someone and miss? or should I be looking at a different weapon all together?

2. Remove Ads

Frangible ammunition may be the answer...a search on the Internet using "frangible ammo" will net you several products for your consideration.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

What material are the walls made of?

Senior Moderator
    I would not worry about over penatration to much. Buy a quality HP Hydroshock, GoldDot...etc.... and you should be good. The 9mm FMJ penetrates more than a .45ACP but HP's should be about the same.

The point is to stop the threat.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

i would go with MagSafe or Glasser Safety slugs as they dont pass through and they waste all of their energyin the intended target.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Thumbs up +1!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    i would go with MagSafe or Glasser Safety slugs as they dont pass through and they waste all of their energyin the intended target.
    I concur completely, adding that the Glaser is low flash and fairly low recoil, which may be critical if fired inside a building. MagSafe is also low flash, but carrying them as my primary load, I also know that they have a fierce kick and the 45's are louder than the CRACK OF DOOM! Glasers aren't as loud as the MagSafe, but I think they're on a par with other defensive JHP loads.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Most strip mall stores I've done work in were separated by concrete blocks. I'd not worry about penetrating those with my usual HP's.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Most strip mall stores I've done work in were separated by concrete blocks. I'd not worry about penetrating those with my usual HP's.
    How likely is the "T-Bone" shot 90 degrees to a wall? Far more likely that there will be a glancing shot at an angle. With a conventional round you are risking the richochet which may retain a fair amount of bullet weight and be utterly lethal if it goes out a storefront and hits a kid. OTOH, the Glaser or MagSafe is simply designed to turn to powder even with a glancing shot. No richochet risk. Better safe than sorry is my motto. But that's JUST me.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    How likely is the "T-Bone" shot 90 degrees to a wall? Far more likely that there will be a glancing shot at an angle. With a conventional round you are risking the richochet which may retain a fair amount of bullet weight and be utterly lethal if it goes out a storefront and hits a kid. OTOH, the Glaser or MagSafe is simply designed to turn to powder even with a glancing shot. No richochet risk. Better safe than sorry is my motto. But that's JUST me.
    You have a good point, but then don't we all have this risk everwhere we carry? At least when I carry in the city, concrete walls everywhere. I just can't afford to put one or two hundred rounds of glaser through my piece to ensure its reliable. Maybe go with a shotgun (not as accessable and a pistol on you), or a taurus "judge" for store defense? (fire .45 or .410 shells) I guess I don't have a good answer for this one.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Thanks for the advice. I believe the walls are just the sheet rock and the steel post very 18" no concrete that I know of.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    You have a good point, but then don't we all have this risk everwhere we carry? At least when I carry in the city, concrete walls everywhere. I just can't afford to put one or two hundred rounds of glaser through my piece to ensure its reliable.
    The ogive configuration of the GLASER round is designed to give it all the aspects of "hardball" ammo, primarily for feeding issues. So with Glaser I generally check functions with fewer than 200 rds. I find they are all very uniform in velocity spread when run thru a chronometer. It's been my experience that both MagSafe and Glaser to be ammunition of extremely high quality. Moreover, although they've both been attacked by overzealous prosecutors and civil plaintiff lawyers alike for all the usual reasons, they have NEVER lost a case, either criminal or civil in nature. All my primary CCW weapons are loaded with pure Glaser or MagSafe in the primary mag while my spare is loaded with conventional JHP ammo. I've been using these brands of ammo for many years for the reasons I gave before: They do dump their energy into the target and they are a ZERO risk of richochet and they are fairly low flash at night. As long as I live in the South I'll be carrying them when it's warm. When I retire to North Carolina I'll probably shift to more conventional ammo in the wintertime.

Links