Flash Bangs

This is a discussion on Flash Bangs within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hmm well my brother used to be a meth head and was always very alert and very paranoid thinking someone was out to get him, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flash Bangs

Hmm well my brother used to be a meth head and was always very alert and very paranoid thinking someone was out to get him, that being said do you understand how many decibels were talking? A shotgun blast is 130 and these things are 173! A m-80 is not even as load as a shotgun and i know because ive tried both. This might not be a good idea like you guys said but for multiple attackers it will cause panic and confusion of course id be wearing ear plugs. I think i could load them first followed by some 00 buckshot.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EZDYNAMICS View Post
    Of course their not but your advocating I should shoot someone when there are other options like flash bangs or mace or tasers that will work. What will you do if a unarmed guy on meth breaks in your home thinking your not there? Are you going to shoot him? Are you going to point your gun at him and say stop or ill shoot? He wont care he's on drugs and he's unarmed. A flash bang or something non lethal but powerful will stop those type of people, do you understand now.
    If you are not Mentally Prepared to use Lethal Force in Defense of
    your life you'd better Lock your guns in a safe and only take them
    out when you go Quail hunting.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    If you are not Mentally Prepared to use Lethal Force in Defense of
    your life you'd better Lock your guns in a safe and only take them
    out when you go Quail hunting.
    I am so glad that I am not the only one who feels that way!
    And about meth heads being scared and paranoid that is true but like I said, try and fight one and it is a totally different animal! The only thing that I can think of that could be worse to deal with than a dope head burglar is a dope head burglar, three of his friends and all of them in a blind rage because they just got banged and dont know what the heck is going on.
    I am not going to continue to beat a dead horse and I will finish by saying this. Using bangs, especially from a shotgun, are a bad idea. You can take the advice, which you came here seeking, from the people who have offered it or not, your choice.
    Pierce

"Fear is what keeps you alive but panic is what kills you" - Leo

"At contact distances, if you can't shoot him, hit him...Nothing says 'TAP' can't be accomplished by smashing the magazine into his face." - Gomez

TRAMPLE THE WEAK AND HURDLE THE DEAD

VIP Member
    less than lethal products have their places for proper use.....in my home is NOT one of those places, when I get home for the day my OC goes on a closet shelf along with my wallet and knife

If someone breaks into my house they will immediately be met with a gun barrel (shotty or 45), If I see a weapon they are getting shot no questions asked....period. If I don't see a weapon and the situation permits, then a harsh and to the point verbal command will be given, if they don't turn and run back out they are getting shot no questions asked.....period.

I will not risk my life or that of my wife or son by trying less than lethal products first, inside my home. That threat is way too close.
    If someone has broken into my house they are not coming for tea.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Lightbulb You have to live in the "real" world....if you plan to use a firearm for home defense

that being said do you understand how many decibels were talking? A shotgun blast is 130 and these things are 173! A m-80 is not even as load as a shotgun and i know because ive tried both. This might not be a good idea like you guys said but for multiple attackers it will cause panic and confusion of course id be wearing ear plugs. I think i could load them first followed by some 00 buckshot.
    You have to understand that devices like the flash-bangs only work as a distractor when the target lives in a fairly normalized word as it pertains to sound. However, dopers who need to steal to support habit...their world is a caucophony of NOISE and their brains simply assimilate thru the din. LOUD is a way of life so a loud BANG isn't going to have the same impact except to maybe make 'em real mad.

Flash-bangs have a specific use, tactically. There are plenty of folks on this forum that use them all the time and will confirm this, because those devices are used as a momentary distractor for a SWAT team to make entry, acqire the targets and ELIMINATE the threat, probably with a well placed shot to the crainial vault which we refer to as the "forehead." Hostage rescue uses these, not so much the military. I was trained not to use a door at all, but rather blow a hole in a wall. If that's not possible then kick the door and toss in a cooked off grenade.

Flash-bangs are not useful as a distractor when the object isn't to kill in the first place! You're not going to make a bunch of dopers drop to the ground, floppin' around screaming and holding their ears while you walk around casually and take them prisoner. Sorry, that's NOT real life. Now, I too am going to stop beating this very DEAD HORSE.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Hmm well my brother used to be a meth head and was always very alert and very paranoid thinking someone was out to get him, that being said do you understand how many decibels were talking? A shotgun blast is 130 and these things are 173! A m-80 is not even as load as a shotgun and i know because ive tried both. This might not be a good idea like you guys said but for multiple attackers it will cause panic and confusion of course id be wearing ear plugs. I think i could load them first followed by some 00 buckshot.
    EZDYNAMICS, I can understand your reluctance to respond immediately with deadly force. No one that I am aware of looks forward to that kind of situation. But I think you should think this through a little more. You talk about multiple attackers and you wearing ear plugs. In a dark house your hearing is your greatest asset, and you are planning on reducing that. Not the smartest tactical decision. If you insist on this course of action instead of ear plugs I would recommend a set of tactical ear muffs like the ones from Peltor that have stereo microphones and amps in them so you can actually enhance your hearing of the ambient noises in the house and also have protection from the blast. I don't know how much experience you have with shotguns, so for the sake of argument I will assume very little. A cylinder bore 12 guage shotgun load will spread about one inch per yard from the muzzle. So think about how big that patern will be inside your house. If you are dealing with multiple armed opponents, you are going to have to deliberately aim at each one of them and pull the trigger. Are you ready to do that?
    Have you considered what you will have to do if you are confronted by deadly force before you have a chance to employ your flash/bang?
    If you are not fully prepared to respond with deadly force when offered the same, perhaps you should consider selling your weapons and investing in improving the physical security of your home while you think about this subject some more.

Administrator
    I got to get one more kick in on the dead horse. Exsoldier is dead on accurate. Flash bangs are not some special comic book like tool, they are not much more than a extra special firecracker. They have a very limited use, although they are fun...

I think the fantasy senario garbage has got to stop, its going to get you hurt or worse. This stuff is not a game, and argicultural tools with a video game attitude is a mixture for disaster.
    Dont let the negative response to your question run you off, stick around and read... then post your questions.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    EZDYNAMICS
    Well, you have had a lot of highly qualified members attempt to give you very honest and straightforward answers ~ complete with the truthful (common sense) reasoning behind those answers.

You seem inclined to want to discount and dispute all of that logical advice and so I'm guessing that you already have your mind made up concerning your use of Flash Bangs.

Are you just looking for some sort of affirmation that a bad idea is somehow a good idea?
    My opinion is also that it is not such a good idea.
    I am not saying this with any sort of animosity when I tell you that I think that you should spring for some reputable and qualified self defense training and structured shooting courses as it's fairly obvious that you are as of yet pretty much unschooled.
    That is not a bad thing but, it is something that you should seriously consider in order to place your self~defense mindset more into the real world of workable, viable home and self~defense.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Did I mention that the ones I used are great at starting a fire too..IMO,these would be real bad for HD...you would probley A.piss off the BG,and B.Burn your house down....

"A shotgun blast is 130 and these things are 173!" i blow up things for a living and know how loud they are. Not going to argue with you any more. Do not care what you do.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Flash Bang type munitions are classified as " destructive devices " Now i mean the actual core , that will screw into a resusable housing . Any one who can own a DD can own one by paying the $200.00 per tax and getting the stamp , when it is used report it to BATFE and they will close that stamp out as a destroyed device . Training cycles for even a small swat team almost require a secretary to report the devices expended . The BATFE does not collect taxes for LE usage of DDs , but also does not relax the reporting requirements for each device .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Redneck Repairs: DANG! I've been here a full year longer yet I'm only TEN posts ahead of you? DAWG, you some kinda Mighty Morphin Power Poster!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have a moss cruiser shotgun and was wondering if any of you have ever used flash bangs for home defense, im going to buy some but would like to know what you guys think of them.
    Woah! Get a dog instead.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    EX no that just makes me a vocal opiionated ... well you know lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    All I can say is wow.

Uh, flashbangs are deployed into a room, house, dwelling, etc. before a team enters.

You want to deploy one while you are in the same room, house, dwelling, etc!

Hope you don't get hurt or killed when the time comes.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links