Flash Bangs

Flash Bangs

This is a discussion on Flash Bangs within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a moss cruiser shotgun and was wondering if any of you have ever used flash bangs for home defense, im going to buy ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flash Bangs

Flash Bangs

I have a moss cruiser shotgun and was wondering if any of you have ever used flash bangs for home defense, im going to buy some but would like to know what you guys think of them.

Can't say I've ever used them, I think you would run the chance of blinding and/or deafening yourself as well. How do you plan on buying flashbangs in MN (or anywhere for that matter)?

Bird Bombs

Are you talking about Bird Bombs? The 12ga pest control rounds that are like an M80 in a regular shell. I worked at an airport and they were used by the case to scare birds and such. Once we fired one into a dumpster to scare the racoons off. It did no damage to the racoons we could see. It scared them off quick, fast, and in a hurry, though. They made the gun absolutely filthy. I've also fired some of the weird rounds like the "Screamer", which was a 12ga whistling bottle rocket. Got some of those free when I was ordering some 37mm rounds for my "M203" 37mm. I would have to group those with other non-lethal or less-lethal rounds like rubber buckshot or bean bags. If you need to shoot, shoot to stop with a powerful round, otherwise hold your fire. If you did injure somebody you only meant to scare, a jury might not look at that in a friendly light. Also to agree with Npete, You'll already be a bit affected by firing a short shotgun anyway, why make it worse by lighting off an M80 in your living room? If it doesn't work to scare away the BG, will you be able to make a followup shot?

Potential Targets/Applications: Prison/Civil Rioters/Forced Entry

Primary Users: Law Enforcement, Military

Incapacitation Mechanism/Technology: The BORE THUNDER is a 12 gauge cartridge which produces a concussion wave similar to a diversionary grenade. This round is designed to be aimed at the floor or ceiling at a 45 degree angle and never intentionally at a subject. (Independent testing using NIJ standard 103.1.1 modified showed no penetration in 10% ballistic gelatin at 8 feet).

Physical Data: 12 gauge SAAMI

Performance Characteristics: When fired, the concussion and explosive blast is directional and produces between 175-182 db. Proper application of this

behavior modification munition will help increase the successful completion of many tactical scenarios.

extremely powerful concussion from a 12 gauge shotgun muzzle.

History/Background: This device was developed as a stun/diversion and animal control device for use in a variety of applications.

I will just wear ear plugs when I use them and I found them off a aution website and yes I can get them in MN. They look like a great home defense tool.

Buy a couple, try them in your house (they do no damage, according to your post) and let us know what happens.

JWB

Quote Originally Posted by EZDYNAMICS View Post
    The BORE THUNDER is a 12 gauge cartridge which produces a concussion wave similar to a diversionary grenade.
    Yeah, I thought you were talking about the actual flash bang grenades that LE and Military use, which I'm pretty sure you can't get.

They look like a great home defense tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15
    If you need to shoot, shoot to stop with a powerful round, otherwise hold your fire. If you did injure somebody you only meant to scare, a jury might not look at that in a friendly light.
    I have to agree with Superhouse on this one, the guy who decides to break into my home is not going to be lucky enough to get a flashbang launched at him.

Killing is my last option and a flashbang sounds like it will do the job so i can successfully disarm them without killing them because if I use my moss with 00 shot they will be dead, but then again if they're in my house and I shoot the flash bang and they have guns and get disorientated, would it still be self defense by killing them? That seems like a tough call to me.

Killing is my last option and a flashbang sounds like it will do the job so i can successfully disarm them without killing them because if I use my moss with 00 shot they will be dead, but then again if there in my house and I shoot the flash bang and they have guns and get disorientated, would it still be self defense by killing them? That seems like a tough call to me.
    Minnesota law states you have the right to use deadly force to prevent the commission of a felony in your home. If a BG enters your home while you are there with the intent to commit a crime, that is 1st degree burglary, which is a felony. The law also says you have the responsibility to attempt escape if you are able, so if you blast him and there is a back door that is accessible to you, you may still be in trouble. On the other hand, if you're cornered in a room you have the right to defend yourself and your home which includes using deadly force. That's a basic summary of the law in MN regarding home defense, whether or not you want to load that shotgun with 00 buck or flashbangs is your decision.

I tend to partially agree with EZ here.. if it works for him then it does. Also it helps to stay on topic, but at the same time you asked a question and got opinions.

The flashbang deal could also help a case, should he actually kill someone after using it. "I tried to use non lethal force, but the intruder persisted."

When A 'Forced' Home Invasion...

Potential Targets/Applications: Prison/Civil Rioters/Forced Entry

Primary Users: Law Enforcement, Military

Incapacitation Mechanism/Technology: The BORE THUNDER is a 12 gauge cartridge which produces a concussion wave similar to a diversionary grenade. This round is designed to be aimed at the floor or ceiling at a 45 degree angle and never intentionally at a subject. (Independent testing using NIJ standard 103.1.1 modified showed no penetration in 10% ballistic gelatin at 8 feet).

Physical Data: 12 gauge SAAMI

Performance Characteristics: When fired, the concussion and explosive blast is directional and produces between 175-182 db. Proper application of this

behavior modification munition will help increase the successful completion of many tactical scenarios.

extremely powerful concussion from a 12 gauge shotgun muzzle.

History/Background: This device was developed as a stun/diversion and animal control device for use in a variety of applications.

I will just wear ear plugs when I use them and I found them off a aution website and yes I can get them in MN. They look like a great home defense tool.
    comes your way, I hope your wearing your ear plugs!
    In my home...no flash bangs...just .45's lots of them...excellent home invasion stopper! I don't wear ear plugs around the house, but I do wear my .45!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Sounds like Minnesota law needs some rewritting.....
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Sounds like Minnesota law needs some rewritting.....
    I agree, and I know there has been some discussion on it, but as far as I know nothing has been changed. The part about retreating if able I could not find when I was looking through the MN criminal statutes, but that is what I was told by my instructor who is a retired cop so that's what I'm gonna go with until I hear otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Npete7381 View Post
    Minnesota law states you have the right to use deadly force to prevent the commission of a felony in your home. If a BG enters your home while you are there with the intent to commit a crime, that is 1st degree burglary, which is a felony. The law also says you have the responsibility to attempt escape if you are able, so if you blast him and there is a back door that is accessible to you, you may still be in trouble. On the other hand, if you're cornered in a room you have the right to defend yourself and your home which includes using deadly force. That's a basic summary of the law in MN regarding home defense, whether or not you want to load that shotgun with 00 buck or flashbangs is your decision.

Awesome that's good to know, the flash bangs would only be used for multiple guys entering and that way when they're out of it I can pick one by one off at a time while they're dazed, unless thats not allowed.

Administrator
    Just because you're the one who deployed the device does not mean you are immune to its effects. They are not designed to be used in the way you are thinking, and its a bad idea IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    They are used quite a bit for behavior modification purposes on garbage bears and other creatures who have learned to make a dangerous nuisance of themselves in areas frequented by humans.
    They work quite well for that task.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links