9mm +P+ use.

This is a discussion on 9mm +P+ use. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to find out if I can use 9mm +P+ ammo in my; 1). Browning Hipower, NEW FN maufacture with SDS system with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm +P+ use.

9mm +P+ use.

I am trying to find out if I can use 9mm +P+ ammo in my;
    1). Browning Hipower, NEW FN maufacture with SDS system with about 200 rounds (standard pressure) shot through it so far.
    2). Glock 19 with about 500 rounds (very few +P) shot through it so far.

I'm aware that I CAN use +P+, I'm wondering HOW MUCH.
    I'm also aware that continued use of any +P or +P+ ammuntion in ANY firearm will accelerate wear and possible breakage (?).

Yea, thanks guys (and Gals!), I own several 1911's in .45 acp.

When in the United States the .45's great because of ammo availablity.

Overseas is another matter. Watch your six.
    Last edited by dustoff451; May 27th, 2007 at 07:31 AM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've read too much neg stuff, I'd leave +P+ alone. Other than unknown higher pressure, I do not any think possible gain is worth
    a possible K-Boom.

+P+ Pros:
    Slightly more power, possibly resulting in better first-shot incapacitation

+P+ Cons:
    Harder on weapon/shorter service life, possible kaboom
    Longer second-shot time
    Excessive muzzle flash
    Excessive noise
    Harder to handle for other shooters (anyone else ever likely to shoot your weapon?)
    Etc.

Stick with good ol' standard pressure rounds... 127grain. You gain little in terms of stopping power with +P+ and pick up lots of negatives. Not worth it.

Thank you. I figured that much. I read a very long but informative posting that lead me to belive that the Winchester Ranger 127 gr. +P+ was 'the stuff' to use in self defence situations. I'm not aware of any human being shot with this load but I know one of our posters that shot a feral pit bull that was about to attack his child. He said that when the 127 +P+ entered the dogs skull the effect was dramatic and very final.

I think a .357 sig would be more practical than playing around with the +P+'s.

Reference

Thank you, I agree, but my options are slim.
    Please reference my original post.

Administrator
    Change your recoil springs a lot more often then go for it and shoot as much as you want.
    For sure your Glock can handle as much +P+ as you want to run through it...just use fresh springs.

High quality short barreled stubby semi-autos with lighter slides in combination with +P+ should have new recoil springs installed in them every 500 to 800 rounds just to be safe and to prevent frame battering.

Also I believe that American 9mm +P+ still is below Euro military ball pressure.
    Change your recoil spring 3 times as often as recommended and shoot +P or +P+ in both of your firearms.
    They are both high quality firearms.
    Frames only start to get battered shooting +P+ when the recoil spring is not changed frequently enough.
    If you intend to shoot nothing but +P+ in your Browning then you can always move up to a stiffer recoil spring if you want to then you will be absolutely safe.

BUY ONE OF EACH OF THESE & see which one functions best.
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...RECOIL+SPRINGS
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thank you, (why didn't I think of that).
    I use 18 /12 lb. 'Wolff's' in my 5 in. 1911's. for hardball and very limited +P use (Buffalo Bore 230 gr. TCFMJ) for when I hit the woods when circustances leave me with only my 1911.
    Is there any body else out there that can shed some more light on spring weights on the G-19 & the BHP when using +P or +P+?

OKShooter- went to Brownell's as advised-Thanks again!

You might want to contact the manufacturer and find out exactly what +P+ means to them, given there's no SAAMI, "industry standard", or recognized pressure levels for said designation.

Once you find out what kind of pressures these cartridges are loaded to, contact the manufacturer of the pistols in question and see what their staff has to say.

Randy

Administrator

Thumbs up

Good helpful addition by Randy.
    Good looking out!

BTW Lately for my 1911s and SIG I'm using the variable Chrome Silicon springs from Falcon Arms. They are very limited in their spring manufacture and do not have recoil springs for GLOCK or the Hi-Power but, their springs for the Colt and the SIG 220 are absolutely the cats a$$. I'm also using their AK spring. Fantastic recoil springs.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I shoot the Winchester Ranger T 127+P+ in all of my 9MM, Glock, SIG and Hi Power. How much? Not a lot but they are all capable of handling them. With the 127+P+ I am approaching 357 SIG speed with a heavier bullet, over all best performance out of the 9MM. I can still practice and train with the 9MM range stuff economically. I usually shoot about a complete box every six months and have absolutely no problems.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Ken, are you using standard weight recoil springs or extra power springs (17lb., 22lb., ect.)? I have used Wolff's in my 1911's now and in the past.

My guns are all stock except for the sights. I have tried all of the gadgets and found that they are not worth the extra time and money. I did take a tool to the grips on a couple of grips to add some texture to the two that I usually carry. Just a bunch of dimples lol.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Ken, How often do you change the recoil springs when using +P+. I have a box of Ranger 127 gr +P+, RA9TA and 124 gr.+P, RA9124TP.

I plan on checking their groups vs. point of aim at known distances.
    I will probably not shoot that much of the ammo after these tests.

Whats the deal/hype on Federal 124 gr. TACTICAL ammo.

I have just a couple of mags left and I picked up another box on my way home except that the first box was silver and the new box says Tactical and they are also Hydra-shocks.

Any help from any corner is appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links