.500 S&W defense ammo - Page 2

.500 S&W defense ammo

This is a discussion on .500 S&W defense ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; as to shooting lesser ammo (500 special or 45 colt or... 454.."lesser"...??), if you want to do that, buy a revolver chambered for one of ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    as to shooting lesser ammo (500 special or 45 colt or... 454.."lesser"...??), if you want to do that, buy a revolver chambered for one of those cartridges.
    You would have the advantage of additional weapon weight to further reduce felt recoil with the X-frame Smith. Yes, concealment is an issue; but the original poster does not seem concerned about it. If he's found an effective and comfortable way to conceal his X-frame, far be it from me to stop him from carrying it!
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I for one would like to see a pic from envonge showing his carry method. I am interested in seeing how he carries the S&W 500 4" efficiently. Can you imagine the size of the speed strip or speed loader? It would look like a deck of cards or a baseball in your pocket.

Maybe I can learn something here... like how to hide ANOTHER cannon in my shorts.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I'm new here but a .500 S&W, Damn!

Must be for grizzlies.

Hello,

I will take some pictures of my setup once I get home. Currently I am carrying it with the below.

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dl...eitemid=361538

I figured since they're hollow points overpenetration won't be an issue.

Overpenetration won't be an issue... if you're hunting with the thing. You're talking about a 400gr. round moving 1800fps at the end of a standard SAAMI barrel and depositing 2877ft-lbs of energy, designed for one-shot kills on animals like deer. That round's going to punch through your target and be well on its way downrange before ever giving thought to expanding.

I feel sorry for you if you ever have to use your weapon. You'll be strung up in the court of public opinion.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by envonge View Post
    Hello,

I will take some pictures of my setup once I get home. Currently I am carrying it with the below.

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dl...eitemid=361538

I figured since they're hollow points overpenetration won't be an issue.
    I'm not sure even hollow points will stop overpenetration in this case. If it is something you can carry, more power to you. But it's not my cup of tea.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

This is over kill and it will over penitrate walls. Its like takeing a cannon to a mouse hunt. This gun is not light weight and would be hard to conceal. the practice ammo for this gun is very pricy and you probley would not very much practice. useing a gun of this caliber would also hurt your case for self defense.
    Last edited by Tom G; May 28th, 2007 at 12:10 PM.

I think a 500 S&W revolver would be a great self defense weapon if you lived in Jurassic Park and had to fear Tyransourus Rexs or Raptors...Short of that no way! How do you conceal an X Frame Smith anyway? unless your 10feet tall and 3 feet wide it is going to stick out like a sore thumb..Once read a comment by a gunwriter who said only in hollywood can Clint Eastwood conceal a Model 29 6inch barrel 44 mag under a sports coat and conceal it well. The writer went on to say that when he tried to do the same thing it his reflection in the mirror made him look like he was carrying a tennis racket under his jacket.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I'm thinking about getting a .500 Magnum to use as an anti-tank weapon in case Kansas gets invaded by another country.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmhpfan View Post
    I think a 500 S&W revolver would be a great self defense weapon if you lived in Jurassic Park and had to fear Tyransourus Rexs or Raptors...Short of that no way! How do you conceal an X Frame Smith anyway? unless your 10feet tall and 3 feet wide it is going to stick out like a sore thumb..Once read a comment by a gunwriter who said only in hollywood can Clint Eastwood conceal a Model 29 6inch barrel 44 mag under a sports coat and conceal it well. The writer went on to say that when he tried to do the same thing it his reflection in the mirror made him look like he was carrying a tennis racket under his jacket.
    Nah, I could see a shoulder rig working for both N-frame and X-frame wheelguns. A properly adjusted shoulder holster can conceal just about anything under a sport coat or suit jacket, as long as the weapon is retained in a nearly vertical position (barrel pointing straight down).
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Talking

C'mon, folks. YHBT.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Why not a .50 GI in a 1911. You have the .50 Diameter with a .45 style load. Just remember a hit with a 22lr is more effective than a miss with a .500. I Do think it would be a little irresposible unless your carrying it for bears and aligators not 2 legged critters!!!

Remember back to the whole "Use a tool for what its designed" Well .500 Smith & Wesson 4 in revolver, shooting loads designed for Heavy skinned game as a concealed carry gun is not a Good Idea. If you want to be the biggest kid on the block with the biggest hand gun thats fine, but IMHO its sounds like you need some training with your gun and how to be more tactically sound.

And I don't mean training by just going shooting at the range.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; May 29th, 2007 at 11:53 AM.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Walk softly and carry a big stick (gun). I think just pulling a 500 out would be great for shock value. The BG might just soil his pants and pass out right there at the thought.

chad
    A violent crime happens every 23.1 seconds..... something to think about.

At first I thought this was serious. A .500 S&W for self defense?
    Yeah..........OK By the time you pulled that hunk of steel out, well......... You would have to have arms bigger than "Arnuld" and eat spinach like a starving Popeye, and physical moves that make "warp speed" look like a stroll through the park! JMHO

Dude! Seriously you really should look into a good .45ACP. That cannon you have is not going to be as effective as you might believe. As has been mentioned already the bullet from a .500 will penetrate all the way through before much, if any expansion occurs. All that energy will be wasted on the other side of the target. Any thing much more than about 600-700 FT-LBS (700 is probably pushing it) is a waste on a human being.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links