A .45ACP question

This is a discussion on A .45ACP question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by samb "Over penetration" has been over-hyped something fierce. It happens, but rarely does it ever wound a second person. ------------------------------- With FMJs, ...

View Poll Results: What do you carry in your .45 ACP?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full Metal Jacket

10 6.80%
  • Jacketed Hollow Point

124 84.35%
  • both, mixed in the same mag

3 2.04%
  • JHP in the gun, back up mag with FMJ

9 6.12%
  • FMJ in the gun, back up mag with JHP

1 0.68%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A .45ACP question

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    "Over penetration" has been over-hyped something fierce.

It happens, but rarely does it ever wound a second person.

-------------------------------

With FMJs, I KNOW those buggers are going to penetrate. If they hit bone, etc., they will seriously break those bones or tear cartilage.

I use .45 caliber guns, so I know I'm going to make a large hole in what I shoot at. If the guy takes cover behind certain items, a .45 FMJ stands a chance of penetrating.
    Your post is confusing.

2. Remove Ads

I would go under the "both, at whichever time is convienent" category as well, however I do things a bit differently.

If I just picked up a new .45, I usually grab a few different boxes of ammo for testing. Gold Dots are my round of choice, but the damn things are $20 for a box! Theres no way I can test reliability on all self defense ammo at once, so I usually will grab a box of Hydra-Shoks, Gold Dots, WWB, Lawman FMJ, and some Remington UMC. I run it all through there, making sure the Gold Dots and such work, taking note of accuracy. I also like to mix it up a bit to see how well it can do with feeding inconsistencies. If it hangs up, I note which type of bullet it was.

After I've used that ~$60 in ammo, I load it with the best grouping FMJ's until I can afford another round of boxes of HP's to run through it. I won't trust ANY ammo after running just 20 rounds through my pistol! For any HP round, I have to fire at least 50 rounds of the stuff to trust it in that particular weapon. Until then, its FMJ. .45 makes a good hole, and even the FMJs have good but not extreme penetration qualities. It IS a .45, after all! Its not exactly a high velocity long range round.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Your post is confusing.
    How so?

Right now my full size has Golden Sabers and my Commander has Hydrashocks. Eventually when I can get the time on the range I will standardize on something they both like.

How so?
    Well maybe I read it wrong but you did seem to be saying that over-penetration isn't an issue and penetration is optimal.

No offense intended, I just saw that it was a matter in need of clarification possibly.

JHP only, usually Winchester Ranger T 230Gr
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

200gr Hornady TAP in all but 1, and that is my Wilson CQB thats eats 185gr Golden sabers....
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

1943 - 2009
    I carry Winchester 230 grain SXTs in my Commander, 100% reliable.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

goawayfarm +1: speer gold dots in my 1911.
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"
    I think, therefore I am armed.

I carry Cor-Bon DPX (185gr +P). Since it uses a solid copper bullet, it's technically not a jacketed hollowpoint, but it is a hollowpoint so I voted JHP in the poll.
    +1

Also in my mind even if we forgo the hitting a second person argument, I want to use hollow points because if the bullet does exit that is a significant amount of energy wasted behind the target, energy that should have been dumped in the target. IMHO
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Well maybe I read it wrong but you did seem to be saying that over-penetration isn't an issue and penetration is optimal.

No offense intended, I just saw that it was a matter in need of clarification possibly.
    Over penetration is not an issue. It has been hyped to death.

Penetration with FMJs IS optimal.

Let's put it his way: Optimal penetration does not necessarily mean over penetration.

The human body is full of all kinds of bullet traps, both the soft and the hard.

I'm simply not sure of what it is that you find confusing.

I'm simply not sure of what it is that you find confusing.
    You seem to be taking offense, none was intended. It's easy to misread people on the web, be assured I was not trying to say you were wrong, stupid or anything else negative, just that it was an ambiguous observation that maybe needed clarification.
    Over penetration and optimal penetration can easily be perceived as the same thing.

Anyway, we're threadjacking now. I'm just a guy on the web, ignore me...

You seem to be taking offense, none was intended. It's easy to misread people on the web, be assured I was not trying to say you were wrong, stupid or anything else negative, just that it was an ambiguous observation that maybe needed clarification.
    Over penetration and optimal penetration can easily be perceived as the same thing.

Anyway, we're threadjacking now. I'm just a guy on the web, ignore me...
    I think you are a bit sensitive. I took absolutely no offense at all to your questions. Since most people swoon over the latest designer ammo, I usually do get questions when I state I use FMJs. Your questions were nothing new to me. I just didn't see how you equated over penetration with optimal penetration.

Whatever - each of us is betting our life on the gun and ammo we carry. My life. My choice. I never try to convince anyone to use a certain kind of ammo. Besides, it takes practice to bring a .45 shooting 230 grain FMJs back on target quickly. Most people who carry do not practice any where near on a regular basis. That observation is drawn from experience I've had with the many people I know who carry concealed. Carrying concealed is rather common in Indiana.

Believe me, I wasn't being short with you. I simply didn't understand what you were getting at.

I voted JHP but generally carry a Glaser in the pipe and corbon DPX or Powerball in the magazine. Don't know those are technically JHP but I know they aren't FMJ.

Let me put this out there, and you all can then debate this.

Part of my reason for this poll/thread, a guy I know, ran some experiments with .45 HP ammo on targets that were dressed. His end results showed that most .45 HP ammo did NOT expand. The primary reason was the cloth filled up the cavity.

This got me to thinking, if this is really the end result, why bother with HP ammo in a .45? After all, FMJ was good enough for the military, and for a very long time, it was still the preferred ammo for most civilian use, at least until most of the newer stuff came out.

AND, as has been pointed out, over penetration for the .45 has been "over hyped."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links