Dtiquips - Cor-Bon DPX Gelatin Ballistic testing

Dtiquips - Cor-Bon DPX Gelatin Ballistic Testing

This is a discussion on Dtiquips - Cor-Bon DPX Gelatin Ballistic Testing within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is from John Farnham's Dtiquips, I thought it was interesting. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 30 May 07 Gelatin Ballistic Testing: Last weekend in PA, Mike Shovel of ...

Thread: Dtiquips - Cor-Bon DPX Gelatin Ballistic testing

VIP Member

Dtiquips - Cor-Bon DPX Gelatin Ballistic testing

This is from John Farnham's Dtiquips, I thought it was interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30 May 07

Gelatin Ballistic testing:

Last weekend in PA, Mike Shovel of Cor-Bon was nice enough to stop by during our Pistol Class and put on a terminal ballistics demonstration, as he has done several times in the past.

We fired into large blocks of ballistic gelatin 357SIG, 45ACP, 40S&W, and
    223, in Cor-Bon DPX as well as Federal Hydra-Shok and Speer Gold Dot. All
    bullets had to first penetrate four layers of denim. In some cases, bullets had to, in addition, penetrate a "car-door," which was simulated by two layers of sheet steel, separated by a two-inch air gap.

Once again, four layers of denim greatly frustrated conventional, brass/lead hollow-point pistol ammunition, particularly Hydra-Shok, greatly subduing expansion and actually increasing penetration.

No conventional hollow-point ammunition was able to penetrate the car door.
    Some didn't even make it through the first layer. None made it through the second layer.

On the other hand, DPX expanded uniformly, despite the denim, and easily penetrated the car door. This kind of consistently superior performance is the reason I carry DPX daily in my pistols. Velocities were as advertised, 1350 f/s for the 357SIG (from my SIG/229/DAK), 1200 f/s for the 40S&W (from a student's G22), and 1050 f/s for the 45ACP (from my short-barreled
    Detonics).

DPX 223 53gr expanded perfectly when fired out of an eleven-inch barrel,
    penetrating fifteen inches of gelatin. The bullet looked exactly like the
    one I
    extracted from a pig I shot in FL last fall. However, when I shot the same round from my XCR, with its sixteen-inch barrel, the bullet expanded so
    violently, the petals broke off as the bullet was propagated through the media,
    leaving only a perfect, copper cylinder when the missile finally stopped.
    Our
    chronograph showed velocity to be just under 3000 f/s. When I fired 62gr DPX from my XCR, expansion was, once again, perfect, with a velocity of 2800 f/s. I concluded that the DPX bullet can be launched at too great a velocity.
    Ideal velocity will generate consistent expansion, but still leave the bullet in one piece. In 223, I'm thus switching from the 53gr DPX to the 62gr DPX for my sixteen-inch rifles.

223, 55gr hardball uniformly failed the car-door test, penetrating the first
    layer of steel, but invariably failing to penetrate the second. Conversely,
    DPX 223, in both bullet weights, went through both steel layers and still penetrated twelve inches of gelatin, every time.

Finally I fired seven rounds of 357SIG DPX through my SIG/229/DAK into a
    denim-clad, gelatin block. I fired as fast as I could stay on target, with
    all
    seven rounds launched within two seconds. I wanted to see if penetration depth would see wide variation, with the last rounds penetrating more deeply than the first. Not so! All seven round stopped within an inch of each other, after twelve inches of penetration. All seven expanded perfectly, despite the denim, and, when recovered, all seven were facing forward.

I conclude that any reputable, high-performance, hollow-point pistol
    ammunition will expand after entering bare flesh, but few expand consistently after first penetrating several layers of clothing, and none, save DPX, will
    reliably penetrate car doors.

In 223, I believe 53gr DPX to a good choice with short-barreled rifles, but

62gr DPX is conclusively the way to go with sixteen-inch and longer-barreled
    rifles.

/John
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Assistant Administrator
    Good testimonial for DPX ........ thx for that - it's good reading.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I kind of dislike the high price of DPX, but I switched to it for my EDC anyway.

Hmmmmm.....Interesting. I may have to look a little harder at this ammo. I have some loaded for my 22-250 that has proven to have phenomenal terminal ballistics on hogs up to 300#. This is with the Barnes Triple Shock bullet. Does the DPX pistol ammo use the Triple Shock or the standard Barnes X bullet?
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

What gauge of steel was used for the car door ? I am having trouble believing a .223 wouldnt pass through a car door.

The .223/5.56 is known for its poor penetration against auto's.

A friend of mine used his SAW against a small car that was not stopping at a army road block and the round that killed the driver went through the windshield.

Besides, it's a varmit cartridge.

A few years ago I bought a couple old car doors from a junk yard for bullet testing. Car doors are extremely dificult for any bullet to penetrate, due to the glass, sheet steel, and window mechanism.

.223 bullets will tumble and shatter and often not make it thru the door. Eve .30 cal ammo is badly deformed and will not penetrate plywood placed between the 2 car doors.

Best anti-door bullets are the homogeneous bronze and other solids.

Even M2 AP from the 30-06 was a very poor performer. the penetrator would often break up. When the jacket sheds, you have an80-grain 6.5mm penetrator that is long and very unstable.

Just the facts,

JWB

Cor-bon is evil. It exceeds pressure limitations and prematurely destroys guns. I personally saw it render a brand new beretta "unsafe to fire", as adjudged by a metalurgist and a certified ordnance engineer after only 9rds. It otta be outlawed and the manufacturer run out on a rail. JMO
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

I've put a hundred rounds of DPX through my USPc with absolutely no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I've put a hundred rounds of DPX through my USPc with absolutely no problems.
    I wouldn't admit that to HK, especially if you need any warranty work done.

Are the DPX loads listed as +p rounds?
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike from Texas View Post
    Are the DPX loads listed as +p rounds?
    Some are, some aren't. For instance, in .45 ACP, they make both a 185gr +P round and a 160gr standard pressure load.

I read a lot of reports about DPX on a number of different forums. The tests all come out about the same - consistent expansion and about 14-17 inches of penetration regardless of the caliber. Every once in a while I have seen someone make a remark that they will blow up your gun but no one has given any evidence of that.

I have shot DPX in a KT P 11, a Ruger P 95, a Kimber Ultra and a 44 special. It worked fine in all and generally was the most accurate round I have used. So I carry DPX no matter which gun I carry.

I too keep 185gr. .45 ACP DPX in my EDC.
    In a similar thread I posted the following at SigForum several weeks ago...

Another vote toward the Corbon DPX variants...

Performance the author would stake his life on: After 13.5 inches of penetration, the all-copper Cor-Bon had expanded perfectly to .80 caliber and retained 100 percent of its weight.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/dpx_022305

Fired into water from the SIG-Sauer P220, this 185-gr. DPX expanded to 0.81" x 0.83" x 0.55" tall. The recovered bullet weighed 184.3 grains. Note how "long" the expanded bullet remains; it doesn't flatten out as much as conventional JHP's known to be aggressive expanders. Corbon has long manufactured ammunition to very high velocities for respective calibers. Their 165-gr. PowRball +P is such a round. Weighing 20 grains less than the DPX. It is advertised at a considerably higher 1225 ft/sec.

Here we see the expanded .45 DPX compared to the expanded PowRball after both were fired into water from a SIG-Sauer P220. The side view graphically shows how the DPX retains a longer expanded bullet that is more likely to penetrate than the PowRball "pancake". The PowRball expanded to 0.80" and with the jacket fragments weighed 161 grains. (PowRball averaged 1189 ft/sec from the P220.)

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...0.45%20ACP.htm
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links