DoubleTap quality?

This is a discussion on DoubleTap quality? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't find anything on doubletap except from their website. Is this stuff legit "factory" ammunition or more of a "commercial handloader"? Their website shows ...

Thread: DoubleTap quality?

DoubleTap quality?

I can't find anything on doubletap except from their website. Is this stuff legit "factory" ammunition or more of a "commercial handloader"? Their website shows a 155 grain gold dot pushed 1200 fps and a 135 grain nosler at 1310 out of a 3.5" bbl! Will these destroy my gun? Are they reliable enough for defense? Momma always said "if it sounds too good to be true..."

2. Remove Ads

I recently tested some .38 special and .45 ACP. The stuff does what it says! I now carry his 125 gr Gold Dot load in my snub. The 200 gr .45 ACP was just to hot for my 3" Micro to function right but it was pretty good stuff for a 5" steel framed 1911. Met several others who have tried and liked his loads. He is legit and a good guy to talk to. He knows his stuff!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    Shot some in .40 shot well did not expand

Last edited by ccw9mm; May 30th, 2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: duplicate post
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Is this stuff legit "factory" ammunition or more of a "commercial handloader"?
    What's a "factory" but someone with larger, commercial-grade machines turning out ammo for sale? DT is certainly a smaller maker of ammo.

How would one tell it's on a handload standard, if not for reliability and consistency?

The few folks I've seen write about chrono speeds have roughly duplicated what DT reports. As for expansion, a side of beef I took apart with the DT JHP 124gr +P's had fair expansion and penetrated well. Should, for how "hot" the load is.

The bullets, at least in the 9mm, are the Speer Gold Dot JHP. Those have a good reputation for defense usage, though like any JHP they have their issues.

Will these destroy my gun?
    Depends on the gun and usage, I'd say. It kicks about twice as hard as Remington Golden Saber JHP off-the-shelf stuff. I've got a CZ P01 and use it for carry and occasional practice, where the bulk of my range work is using the Remington/UMC range rounds, due to cost and considerations of longevity for the gun (forged alum.).

Momma always said "if it sounds too good to be true..."
    Well, all I've heard is about the power and speed, and seen a few chrono tests of the stuff (mostly 9mm and 10mm). "Too good"? If power and nothing else matters. I did quite a bit of range and field teseting, including writing up this comparo of the DT JHP 124gr +P vs. the Federal Hydrashok Tactical JHP +P+, in 9mm: clickie.

I really like the overall smooth cycling. Particularly the feeding, which is "butter" smooth. On the same gun with the same action job (CZ P01), it's noticeably smoother than anything else. Reliable function and operation, fast or slow, "limping" it or not. These were noticeably better shooting in two of my guns (a CZ P01 9mm and a Browning BDM 9mm). In the field, the few dozen shots I put through a side of beef expanded and penetrated about what I'd expect, though that's hardly a repeatable or scientific test. I was reasonably impressed. Enough to carry them.

Haven't seen much else published about them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I will attest to the quality of DT ammo, I have fired several 1000 rds of vaious calibers and have been pleased with the consistent results....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

DT

Shot their 10mm 135gr load from my Smith & Wesson 610. It looked good and fired fine. I had no issues with the expansion in wet newspaper. Expansion with fragmentation, penetrated enough for me to like it, and transferred near 700FPE while being controllable. I did the free recoil calculations and it came up something like less than half the recoil of a .44mag load with similar energy IIRC. Also, when I called to order it, I got to talk to the owner, not some salesperson in India or something. Said owner was very knowledgeable on the subject of ballistics, knew his firearms (not many 610s around) and was friendly and helpful.

Links