Soft Shooting 9mm HP for my gf

This is a discussion on Soft Shooting 9mm HP for my gf within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im trying to teach my GF how to shoot. She has always been afraid of firearms even though shes a Criminal justice major. She has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Shooting 9mm HP for my gf

Im trying to teach my GF how to shoot. She has always been afraid of firearms even though shes a Criminal justice major. She has shot my Kahr pm9 and likes it with standard FMJ stuff but and HP i have let her shoot is too much. I have tried 124gr and 115gr non +P Golddots so far. On saturday i have some 147gr golddots for her to try, but im a bit weary of a 147 out of a short barrel. Anyone else have any suggestions , she refuses to shoot a bigger gun, and the Kahr fits her little hand like a glove, its just snappy. This is going to be her bedstand gun for when im working nights so i want the peace of mind that if needed, the rounds will perform. I have shot Doubletap 124's out of it before and i know she's not ready for that mule.

So to recap, i need a soft shooting 9mm HP thats still effective for SD. Thanks
    Ruben
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Federal makes some reduced recoil hydra shok loads for the .38, however allittle pricey for range use all the time. I think they make them in 9mm as well.

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ball...firearm=2&s1=1
    Just go to the top and look up 9mm I think the EFMJ 105 and the 135 are Low Recoil.

I would recommend start reloading your own. You will NOT save a Dime infact you might end up paying more money because you'll become an addict making your own ammo. However, you will be able to pull your trigger about 3 times more then would have if you just bought range ammo. You can work up some light loads for her, and then maybe build them similiar to a lighter recoiling defense load.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Federal Personal defense claims to have lower recoil and less blinding flash. That probably explains the data indicating poor penetration though.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Federal Personal defense claims to have lower recoil and less blinding flash. That probably explains the data indicating poor penetration though.
    I'm not arguing against that. But I think the key is to get her shooting/carrying, anything is better then Nothing
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Heavier bullets normally also provide heavier recoil, so the 147 grn might not help any. Perhaps you should give her some more range time with target loads to build her confidence, then let her shoot some heavier stuff down the road.
    PM is a small lightweight gun, so any decent defense round is going to have some bark to it, when fired from it. I've not tried the Federal low recoil stuff, that may be your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I'm not arguing against that. But I think the key is to get her shooting/carrying, anything is better then Nothing
    I agree. I didn't mean to sound as if I would not reccomend carrying it, just wanted to mention that it doesn't seem to perform as well. Heck, if you have to cut back on caliber, then do it. A .380 might be the ticket, although also with that, it seems you can have penetration or expansion, but not both. Good luck at it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    Heavier bullets normally also provide heavier recoil, so the 147 grn might not help any.
    UUMMMM I don't think that is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    Im trying to teach my GF how to shoot.
    I know that I am not answering your main question but I have to address your first remark.
    If you are teaching her to shoot then you can do a lot worse than start with a .22, especially so if she has already shot a 9mm or similar and found it too 'hot' for her.
    Let her get comfortable shooting a .22 a few times, no recoil, lots of confidence boosting accuracy, plenty of opportunity to get comfortable just being at the range.
    Then try a heavier 9mm, maybe a Glock 17 or Tactical XD.
    Then when she has progressed to the point where she is enthusiastic to shoot the bedside gun she will be ready and the ammo will be of little consequence.

I know you probably want her to be ready to use the bedside gun ASAP, but it is better to be competent in her own time in this case IMO.

I hope whatever you choose to do works out for you both, it is a great choice you are making to arm your wife in your absence.

How is it that FMJ ammo was more punchy than HP ammo? I would like to think that regardless of the bullet's make-up they would be the same . Unless the JHP ammo was loaded up with more grains than the FMJ's.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911 View Post
    How is it that FMJ ammo was more punchy than HP ammo? I would like to think that regardless of the bullet's make-up they would be the same . Unless the JHP ammo was loaded up with more grains than the FMJ's.
    It probably totally depends on the recipe of the powder. HP and SD ammo's do use differn't formulas in the powder to keep the muzzle flash down.

I even notice the difference between WWB 124gr FMJ and all the Speer stuff, speer is just loaded hotter.

She actually a pretty good shot with that kahr, im very impressed in my god-like teaching ability

Well guys, I want to say thanks, ill just keep doing that target load FMJ stuff until she gets a little more comfortable.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    If she is going to shoot your pm i will also suggest that about any 115 to 124 standard velocity is as tame as it will get . standard velocity 124 hydro shock has allways seemed " tamer " to me than ball .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Just thought I'd jump in here since this is something I've already delt with.
    The Federal 115gr HP(9BP) has been the most consistant performing and softest shooting 9MM HP I've ever tested.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Well i got some good news, she likes thew 147gr Gold Dots out of the Kahr, they aren't as snappy. We went to the range yesterday and she put 100 Rounds of WWB and 30 147 GD. I sent an email to speer asking them for ballistics and effectiveness of that round out of a 3 inch barrel, i'll make sure to post it when i get a reply.
    كافر(Infidel)

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I just tried out some reloads I made up, 124gr with 3.3grs of Titegroup, worked nicely in Sig226ST. Will load up a bunch for the wife to shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links