Remington Golden Sabre 45 ACP,230GRHP

This is a discussion on Remington Golden Sabre 45 ACP,230GRHP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How does this ammo stack up to the other 45 ACP with 230 GRHP bullett?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Golden Sabre 45 ACP,230GRHP

Remington Golden Sabre 45 ACP,230GRHP

How does this ammo stack up to the other 45 ACP with 230 GRHP bullett?

2. Remove Ads

It's a decent load. I prefer the bonded load myself.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

I used some and it worked fine. Truth is there is no magic bullet. A lousy shot with the latest and greatest high tech hollow point won't be as effective as an LRN dead on the money. Most modern hollow point ammo will do the job as long as we do ours.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Remington Golden Sabre

Thanks for the answers.

A question for Alien Nation, I have one box of both bonded and regular,what is the difference?

I thought that the Golden Sabres were known for core jacket seperation?

The bonded load keeps the jacket from seperating frome the core. Just as Para stated. The non-bonded were known for seperating. It's really not that big a deal just a preferance. I mean if it does seperate opon impact with flesh you're still gonna have quite a large chunk of lead moving on without the jacket.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Alien Nation View Post
    The bonded load keeps the jacket from seperating frome the core. Just as Para stated. The non-bonded were known for seperating. It's really not that big a deal just a preferance. I mean if it does seperate opon impact with flesh you're still gonna have quite a large chunk of lead moving on without the jacket.
    My concern is that if the non-bonded Golden Sabres encounter a barrier ie (windshield, thick leather jacket, plywood) will it still have enough mass intact to incapacitate.

Quote Originally Posted by paratroop23 View Post
    My concern is that if the non-bonded Golden Sabres encounter a barrier ie (windshield, thick leather jacket, plywood) will it still have enough mass intact to incapacitate.
    Think about it like this. The lead core from a 230gr.45 is still heavier than the projectiles from many other calibers that have no prob reaching vital areas of the human anatomy.

I have a non bonded sample of Golden Saber that I recovered from a deer I shot with it. I hit the doe just in front of the last rib in the on-side (she was quartering away kinda sharp).

I found the bullet just under the hide at the tip of her off-side shoulder(it broke the off-side shoulder as it hit it right at the socket). I found the jacket when I field dressed the deer, it was embedded in the liver.
    Gross I agree but a good practical test none the less. It was good eating too.

The jacket weighs (according to my scale) 42.6 grains.
    The lead core weighs 186.1 grains.
    The grand total =228.7 grains. a diff of 2.3 grains prior to being fired.
    Keep in mind the lead core traveled about 16- 18 inches and the core 13-14 inches. Oh and the core expanded to .69" and the jacket to 1.28".

I also have a bonded sample that I shot a 200 pound hog with that stayed together fine and penetrated all but an inch or less from exiting (also broke the off side shoulder as it was slightly quartering away). It expanded to .768". It was not wild but was going to be slaughtered for a cook out. The owner was going to use a knife to it's throat so it seemed more humane to shoot it to me. It took a grand total of 6+ seconds to die.
    Brian

Think about it like this. The lead core from a 230gr.45 is still heavier than the projectiles from many other calibers that have no prob reaching vital areas of the human anatomy.

I have a non bonded sample of Golden Saber that I recovered from a deer I shot with it. I hit the doe just in front of the last rib in the on-side (she was quartering away kinda sharp).

I found the bullet just under the hide at the tip of her off-side shoulder(it broke the off-side shoulder as it hit it right at the socket). I found the jacket when I field dressed the deer, it was embedded in the liver.
    Gross I agree but a good practical test none the less. It was good eating too.

The jacket weighs (according to my scale) 42.6 grains.
    The lead core weighs 186.1 grains.
    The grand total =228.7 grains. a diff of 2.3 grains prior to being fired.
    Keep in mind the lead core traveled about 16- 18 inches and the core 13-14 inches. Oh and the core expanded to .69" and the jacket to 1.28".

I also have a bonded sample that I shot a 200 pound hog with that stayed together fine and penetrated all but an inch or less from exiting (also broke the off side shoulder as it was slightly quartering away). It expanded to .768". It was not wild but was going to be slaughtered for a cook out. The owner was going to use a knife to it's throat so it seemed more humane to shoot it to me. It took a grand total of 6+ seconds to die.
    Point taken! But my concern was how that particular brand would work through barriers after the core jacket seperation. I'm sure any modern 230gr JPH will get the job done. I just would prefer one that stays intact through windshields or car doors or heavy clothing. One less thing to worry about.

My personal testing into soaked (24 hr) phone books has shown a high percentage of complete jacket separation out of my 3" barrel and partial separation when fired from the 5" barrel.

I don't think the jacket separates until it has penetrated some diatance, so a single barrier should cause no problem

But whereas GS had been my favorite round, I am tending now towards either a bonded or homogeneous bullet. I just don't like the thought of jacket separation. After the jacket goes, the mass of the remainder is less than before... I like all the mass I can get in one spot.

YMMV,

JWB

Feeds great, negligible muzzle flash.

Good enough for me.
    The Marshmallowist

Point taken! But my concern was how that particular brand would work through barriers after the core jacket seperation. I'm sure any modern 230gr JPH will get the job done. I just would prefer one that stays intact through windshields or car doors or heavy clothing. One less thing to worry about.
    I definitely understand that! The Bonded version is definitely for you. Honestly IMHO Gold Dots are a better choice in ammunition but they will both serve pretty well.
    Brian

I definitely understand that! The Bonded version is definitely for you. Honestly IMHO Gold Dots are a better choice in ammunition but they will both serve pretty well.
    I carry Federal Tactical Bonded 230gr +P or HST 230gr +P !!

I carry Federal Tactical Bonded 230gr +P or HST 230gr +P !!
    I can't believe your carrying that crapy

J/K
    Everthing I've been hearing , reading and seeing in pics sure makes me think that the HST loads are one of the best rounds out there.
    Brian

I've carried the 230gr GS and never once worried about inadequate performance. I now carry Speer 230gr. Gold Dots and feel equally well protected. The main difference for me was a slight edge in expansion, fewer reports of jacket separation and the Gold Dots are a bit more affordable ... what's not to love?

Here's my favorite loads in .45: Speer Gold Dots, Rem. Golden Sabers, Fed. Hydra-Shock, Win. SXT - all in std. pressure, 230gr. and in that order. If my first choice isn't available I buy the next on the list. I actually use the same list in 9mm but prefer 124gr. +P in all brands.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links