Ammo

This is a discussion on Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading several great threads on ammo amounts and storage. I'm left with one thought, "I need more ammo!" And that leads to a question. ...

Thread: Ammo

Ammo

After reading several great threads on ammo amounts and storage. I'm left with one thought, "I need more ammo!" And that leads to a question. Where are you folks buying all this ammo.

Online?
    Gun Show?
    Dept. Store?

It seems many of you have several thousand dollars worth of ammo stockpiled and while that is not in my budget right now, I know I should start to stock up with more than enough for my next trip to the range.

Any suggestions for cost effective ways of stockpiling? Also just for my curiosity, approximately how many years have you been growing/keeping these stockpiles?

2. Remove Ads

Most of my plinking/practice ammo comes from my local gun store. They've generally got pretty good prices, particularly on pistol ammo. They don't carry my preferred brand of defense ammo (Cor-Bon DPX), so I generally get that online. As far as stockpiling goes, buy in bulk when you see a good price (which probably means as soon as possible, given the current trend in ammo prices).

Walmart for range ammo. It has been the cheapest by far. My local gun shop for self defence ammo.

Practice Ammo, for .40 and .45 or .357 Mag - my own reloads. For 9mm and .380 - Walmart white box.

For Self Defense - premium brand at a local gun shop - or online if its a good deal.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Gunshows, local gunshops, Walmart are the most common places I've also ordered online in the past. To build up a stockpile, buy an extra box or two, when you can and keep going from there. I always make sure I've got a supply on hand, should there be an event or disaster. I keep ammo for the shotgun, rifle & defense pistols. Plus I've got a ton of cowboy ammo laying around in various calibers. Anyone of us would sure make the news, if the cops came knocking " dozens of guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition found in a loca home, complete story at 11 ! "

I have been stocking up on .40 range ammo from my local Wal-Mart. They carry Blazer Brass for about 7.60 a box or so. Best deal I have found right now.

As far as more premium rounds for hunting or rifle range, I get that at the local hunting/gun supply store.

Wally World for the WWB FMJ's for the range, internet for the serious stuff.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Seriously... Pick up an issue of "Shotgun News" they print 3 issues per month. Subscriptions are cheap or find an issue on the newstand. They carry it in our local Walmarts in my area. Very good ammo prices from tons of vendors.

Also go to "Cheaper Than Dirt" http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/

Then of course there are the local gun shows.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Natchezss.com runs some good sales at times, bulk. Buy bulk and handload, great way to relax.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

At any given moment I have at least 25000 rds of 45s, which I hand load, as I shoot NRA Bullseye, and usually at least 3 full cases of 22s, and maybe 15000 38s which again are hand loaded target ammo. But!!! I do have 20000 rounds of 230 grain hardball 45s that I consider my "end of time" stash. These have been carefully sealed in wax and hidden. I kinda feel that I am going to live to see the day where ammo and guns are taken from us against our will. With the EXTREME recent cost rise in lead and brass, I don't see how anyone can afford to not handload, even that is getting pretty pricy these days.

Hit our local WalMart and buy a box or two of range ammo every week. At around $11 a box for 45 ACP, I usually buy 2 boxes a week. It adds up pretty quickly. Just think about how much you eat out each week and spend half that on ammo and take your lunch to work. For good defense ammo, I usually hit the gun shows or buy in bulk online occasionally. There's a gun show at Market Hall in Dallas this weekend that you should try to go to.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Stopped by Dick's here in KC tonight and they had a case sale on UMC. If you bought a case, 45s were $11.98 a box, 380's were $10.98 a box, and 9mm was $7.98 a box. Not great prices, but better than normal prices at KC Cabela's or KC Walmarts for FMJ.

I buy new when its cheap, forget what I bought, and then buy more when its cheap. In between I handload. I also sometimes leave the range with more brass than I walk in with!

Thanks for the ideas.

Links