corbon Pow'Rball problems

This is a discussion on corbon Pow'Rball problems within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iíve been carrying my Taurus PT-745 M Pro with (3) full clips (19) rounds of this ammo for months now. Went to the range today ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: corbon Pow'Rball problems

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Iíve been carrying my Taurus PT-745 M Pro with (3) full clips (19) rounds of this ammo for months now. Went to the range today and decided it was time to cycle the $25.00 worth or rounds thru the gun and start with fresh stuff. First clip (2) of the rounds misfired. Even with multiple strike (DA) no luck. One of the two worked after ejecting and reloading, (probable due to pin strike in new location) the second never would go off. The other 12 rounds worked fine but (2) out of (19) in a BAD thing. Now Iím carrying ball ammo as itís the only thing I have that I trust in the gun at this point. (20) rounds for sale VERY CHEAP.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Had you test fired the Pow'Rball through the gun before carrying it for months?

Did you ever shoot this gun with Pow'Rball ammo before? Did the fireing pin strikes look like they were light?

VIP Member
    I really like CorBon ammo. I carry the PowerBall in my Bersa Thunder. I carry the DPX +P in my 45. My 45 is a Taurus PT945. Never had trouble with either. I think CarBon puts out very reliable ammo. But if this ammo does not work right in your carry weapon, then you need to change to another brand no matter how reliable it is in other weapons. Some weapons are just picky with certain ammo.

Yes and No

I had only fired maybe a dozen rounds thru the gun before. I did test their load and eject ability manually a number of times as well. Not with the rounds I carried. The primers looked pretty well dented. Like i said each was struck numerous times (5-6) before I ejected them. Just bad primers I think. But scares me to think that was what I was carrying.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I had only fired maybe a dozen rounds thru the gun before. I did test their load and eject ability manually a number of times as well.
    Honestly, I wouldn't feel safe carrying a certain type of ammo without running at least 50 rounds of it through my gun. Just cycling them manually isn't enough, you need to see how the gun and ammo function as a complete system.

I have .40. 9mm and .380 Cor Bon Pow'R Ball.
    I tried it before I decided to carry it, it cost me a bit of money but I shot 100 rounds in each caliber, actually I think I shot a bit more in .380 as I liked shooting it so much.
    I never had a problem, I tried misfire drills, it worked fine. I trust Pow'R Ball, it's good ammo.
    BTW, the three guns were a .40 Taurus 24/7, 9mm XD SC and a .380 SIG P232.

Might be your gun.

Contact Cor bon on this they outta help you out especially if there is an issue with the primers, they need to know.

I hate, yes HATE, Cor bon ammo for this very reason. I have never had a single box that I have bought that didn't have a couple of rounds with either bad or hard primers.

My G23 strikes the primer with a lot of force and if it doesn't go bang when the striker hit the primer, I know there is something wrong. The Cor-Bon ammo I have tried in it, my Sig P23, my wife's XD .40, and my Taurus PT-99 have all experienced the same failure. Primers hit with what should be sufficient force to set it off but they do not fire.

I stick to Remington Golden Saber, Federal Hydrashock, or Gold Dot ammo. I like the Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket ammo but it is still so hard to find. I was hoping it would have become more common and easy to find by now. I hope they do not discontinue it for poor sales. I don't think they have done a very good job marketing it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    I hate, yes HATE, Cor bon ammo for this very reason. I have never had a single box that I have bought that didn't have a couple of rounds with either bad or hard primers.
    That's odd. I've shot about 150 rounds of DPX and I've have never had a Cor-bon round fail to go bang on me.

im with SigP239 on this i do not like nor trust corbon any more local gunshop wont sell them anymore

Not only misfires but hangfires and jamming problems

The quality of a few years ago just isn't there

Were these problems with the old white and blue box Cor-Bon or the new Red and clear window Cor-Bon?

both but more with the newer packaging

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    both but more with the newer packaging
    I ask as I have both types of box in my ammo stock, I have Pow'R Balls in .380 and .40 that as fate would have it I no longer carry (sold the SIG P232 but kept it's ammo for when I get a P3AT, and don't carry the .40 Taurus since I bought an XD).
    I also have Bee-Safe in 9mm, it's an odd ammo - I asked on here about it but didn't get much in the way of replies - it's a filled HP same as the Pow'R Ball but is very light, 88 grns IIRC... I toyed with carrying it in an XD9 SC but I'm not sure.

Didn't know of all the problems with Cor-Bon as a brand, I guess to be safe I'll let them go...

Red Box

The Corbon i had problems with were packaged in a red box. I'll not use it again. Rounds designed for CC in my opinion must be tested and assured to be the very most reliable that can possibly be produced. It's not like missing a big buck or squirl on a hunt. This stuff we count on to protect our life and those around us. I wonder how many major law suits could, can, will arise from bad defense rounds that cause serious injury or death to the owner of the gun and amunition? I'm not a law suit kind of guy but if my gun doesn't go bang in a situation like that due to defective rounds and i live. My retirement will be covered in full.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links