Hollow Points not performing

This is a discussion on Hollow Points not performing within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always enjoy reading what people have to say about various ballistics. The part that I find most surprising / unsettling is how frequently hollow ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollow Points not performing

Hollow Points not performing

I always enjoy reading what people have to say about various ballistics. The part that I find most surprising / unsettling is how frequently hollow points don't open. Cloth, leather etc. seems to clog the nose and stop the designed effect.

Are there brands that consistently overcome this problem?

Hard to imagine that these weren't flushed out by ammo manufacturers in their development.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Pretty much all brands have gotten better at opening up after going through heavy clothing in the past couple of years. If you're carrying older JHPs, you may want to consider updating your loads. I carry Cor-Bon DPX, which has a reputation as a particularly reliable expander, but any relatively new hollowpoint design (Winchester Ranger SXT, Federal HST, etc.) ought to do fairly well.

Better and better, but not perfect. The good thing is if your JHP fails to expand, it will act about like an FMJ.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I happen to use Federal Hydra Shok's. Both .40 and .45. I don't use old ammo, but I haven't read too much consistently good about the Hydra Shok's. Seems like they perform better in .45. I don't have a clue, but sure enjoy learning from those that do.

Senior Moderator
    Alot of it depends on what you are shooting at. Wood for instance, seems to clog the nose up a bunch. Ive recovered many from dirt that never opened up...and right beside one that didnt open would be one that expanded perfectly.

Even though they are vastly improved its still an imperfect science.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Try federal EPFMJ

Thanks guys. I think I was confusing in how I posted originally. Personally, I have never tested any bullet. I was going on what I had read of work others have done. Someplace I read that the Hydra Shok works well in .45, but suffers as the calibers get smaller. I've read a lot of articles and posts from very bright people who discuss these bullets not opening.

For me, a fascinating subject.

I'm in the asking / learning mode. Probably know enough to be dangerous

Thanks again.

VIP Member
    Try using the CorBon DPX. I use them in my 45 and they have open into a perfect mushroom. You will be surprised how big the hollow point is on this round.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Try federal EPFMJ
    I bought a box of those a year ago but have a lot of trouble finding them in the LGSs. I have no way of testing their expansion or effectiveness, nor have I seen any reviews of their performance. Does anyone have any reputable sources testing the effectiveness/performance of Federal Premium EFMJs, in any calibre including 9mm?
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

So far in my tests(haven't tested the HST's yet) the Gold Dots have been the most consistant performers. Have yet to have one fail to expand regaurdless what I've fired it through. Some did not expand completely depending on the obstical penetrated first but there was always a good degree if it. The least I ever got was a 9MM standard pressure 124 gr GD HP. It only expanded to .43" but the penetration was still ideal.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    I bought a box of those a year ago but have a lot of trouble finding them in the LGSs. I have no way of testing their expansion or effectiveness, nor have I seen any reviews of their performance. Does anyone have any reputable sources testing the effectiveness/performance of Federal Premium EFMJs, in any calibre including 9mm?
    Steve's pages have some water jug tests in at least .45 acp with efmj.

http://www.stevespages.com/page8f.htm

I haven't looked at his 9mm page so there might be some there as well.

I wish I still had the address for some barrier penetration / gelatin block testing of efmj I once found. It performed very well and excelled at heavy fabric / gelatin tests.

Local stores seem to have a hard time getting it. I usually get it from Streichers.

http://www.streichers.com/

Even they have some back orders on it. They say demand is outstripping production.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    Do a forum search for EFMJ box o truth. There have been tests done on the ammo, and it did reasonably well. I don't have the direct link on hand.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Without trying to sound stupid or corny, I want you all to know that I learn an absolute TON reading these things. We have some extremely bright people on this forum and I am sincerely grateful. It's a fascinating topic and whatever little I know has come from this.

Thanks

I found Steves 9mm efmj tests

http://stevespages.com/page8f9mmluger.html
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Gawd!!! ELCruisr!!! This is some serious testing!!! Holy Shi...........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links