Federal 'Tactical Bonded' .45 water test.....(pics)

This is a discussion on Federal 'Tactical Bonded' .45 water test.....(pics) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DRT Put some heavy clothing in front as an intermediate barrier and the HST, Ranger T, and Tactical will open better than ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Federal 'Tactical Bonded' .45 water test.....(pics)

Quote Originally Posted by DRT View Post
    Put some heavy clothing in front as an intermediate barrier and the HST, Ranger T, and Tactical will open better than Gold Dot. This has been proven time and time again. If you want a bonded bullet, go with the Federal Tactical, otherwise, go with HST or Ranget T (both in +P).
    I'm definitely not trying to agrgue but the Gold Dot ammo has passed every heavy clothing test I've done and beautifully so. At least in 9mm and .45 ACP. I generally use 4-6 layers of denim and 2-4 layers of cotton t-shirt material behind it. Now I haven't tested the HST, Ranger T, and Tactical so I have no opinion on them yet other than they look promising to me.

In 9mm I've tested the 124 gr GD and the +P version. The +P obviously expanded most. Usually in the mid to upper .6" range.
    In the .45 I've tested the 230gr GD ALLOT. I've consistantly got in the upper .6" to lower .7" range every time.

Like I said I'm not trying to argue that the others expand more or not. Expansion isn't everything though. Any load that expands above .6" and has ideal penetration will do the job and do it well provided it's placed in the right place.
    JMHO
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

2. Remove Ads

DRT
    I'm glad your happy with gold dot. Upgrade to HST or Ranger T and you'll be happier, particularly if you'd like your 9mm to achieve expansion diameters larger than you appear to be getting with your .45 shooting gold dot.

Don't get me wrong those loads are intriguing. I will not however go to a load that expands allot but doesn't penetrate enough. I'm not saying the HST and Ranger T don't but again I haven't tested them for myself yet.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

I don't test my JHP myself. I go with the recommendations of people like Dr. Gary Roberts and others of his caliber...no pun intended. I wouldn't trust my own tests results anyway. If they aren't conducted properly the findings are useless, so I trust the experts and follow their recommendations. I don't have to try heroin to know its bad for me either. YMMV

That's great and it works for you. I've been testing for over fifteen years though. I've tested enough in Ballistic Gelatin to be able to use my fackler box and do the equations. A close friend of mine who used to work for the FBI testing ammo got me started a long time ago.
    Brian

nice pics..how many jugs did you use, and from how far?
    semper fi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links