Federal 'Tactical Bonded' .45 water test.....(pics)

Federal 'Tactical Bonded' .45 water test.....(pics)

This is a discussion on Federal 'Tactical Bonded' .45 water test.....(pics) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey folks, Just wanted to update that last ammo thread I did. I was 'attacked' by a large roving gang of water jugs today in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Federal 'Tactical Bonded' .45 water test.....(pics)

Hey folks,

Just wanted to update that last ammo thread I did. I was 'attacked' by a large roving gang of water jugs today in the woods.....luckily I was ready for them LOL

I retook the pictures from the first thread about the .45 ammo to include the Federal 'Tactical Bonded' 230 gr. +P round. It performed admirably, as expected. (Sorry, I didn't have a spare windshield or car door to shoot them through.) They penetrated about the same as the HST +P round, and they definately stayed together. The lead core toward the outside of the 'petals' if you will is still stuck to the copper like glue. So....I guess they perform as advertised.... Any way...here we go...
    (Sorry in advance for the shaky camera work.)
    Left to right....

230gr. +P Winchester Ranger SXT (990 fps)
    230gr. Standard pressure Federal HST (890 fps)
    230gr. +P Federal HST (960 fps)
    230gr. +P Federal Tactical Bonded (950 fps)
    Bottom: 230gr. Standard pressure Speer Gold Dot (890 fps)

Add: The muzzle velocities listed are the manufacturer's published velocity...(I don't own a chrony.....YET.)

The Tactical Bonded on a quarter side by side with HST.
    (Captain Crunch.....yes this one is an Alabama quarter.)

I am impressed with all these new offerings from Federal....so I guess what I carry will depend on how "Tactical" I feel that particular day.

Comments welcome.
    Disclaimer: I know this is not a 'scientific' test.

Anyone interseted in the 9mm variation of this test...see my next thread ....I will post it in about 10 minutes.

-Tim
    Last edited by Smitty908; June 11th, 2007 at 05:04 PM. Reason: To add theoretical velocities.

Excellent post!!! Definitely clears up some questions a had!! Thanks a bunch man!!

My dillema------> Which ones will I carry! The HSTs look a little nastier, but I feel pretty confindent that the Tacs will make short work out of barriers! Decisions decision!!

DRT
    Any in the top row are great.

Nice work! Ive been interested in the HST's for a over a year now,but havent been able to find them. Thanks to your post's I got all pumped up over them and bought some at streichers. Now they're out of stock again! I will be checking their site to buy more. I love the HST's!
    Been doing some test of my own in our pool and the HST +p's expand really well!

VIP Member
    Now the controversy starts, one is as good as the other it seems.

For me...any would do the job...

Thanks for a great display...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can't wait to get my hands on some of the standard HST's. Cool thing is I'll always have my wonderful Gol Dots to fall back on.
    IMHO (for me anyways) the Gold Dots are what all other HP's are judged by.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

The HST, Tactical Bonded, and Gold Dots are all made by the same organization(ATK). I would be happy with all three*. But at this current time I own both Tac Bonded and HST 230gr +P. I'm carrying the Bonded rounds now, and seriously considering trying to work the HSTs in rotation! Those HSTs look extremely nasty!!

*I haven't tested the Gold Dots for reliability through my pistols yet, but I've heard nothing but good things.

www.le.atk.com

DRT
    The HST opens both larger and with higher reliability after encountering heavy clothing than gold dot. The bonded bullet only does better after safety glass whereas the HST does better in all other scenarios. HST aint bad through glass either. The HSTs also look to have a sharper upset profile than gold dot.

If you have a thing for bonded bullets, go with the Fed Tactical over Gold Dot. Again, the Tactical round opens more reliably.

Wow, they aren't kidding when they say "bonded".

Those are great results!

Edit: Do they make those in 9mm?
    Last edited by lexington86; June 16th, 2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: addition
    ~Lex

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."
    - Pennsylvania Constitution, Section 21

Dramatic Hamster (my avatar)

Lex,

Yes, they make a 124gr. and a 135gr. version in 9mm both +P.

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by DRT View Post
    The HST opens both larger and with higher reliability after encountering heavy clothing than gold dot. The bonded bullet only does better after safety glass whereas the HST does better in all other scenarios. HST aint bad through glass either. The HSTs also look to have a sharper upset profile than gold dot.

If you have a thing for bonded bullets, go with the Fed Tactical over Gold Dot. Again, the Tactical round opens more reliably.
    I don't doubt the HST is going to be a great round. It' will have to prove itself to me in repeated clothing over water tests first though. I have tested Gild Dot's in several calibers and they always expanded. Even through the heavy clothing tests. The Gold Dot's reliable expansion for me is what all new comers aspire to.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Nice pics...

I've never been a big fan of water-tests, the expanded bullets always look sp pristine and don't reflect reality. In the "old days" I pushed some Black Talons thru water, and they looked great. But real world results were rather mediocre.

I test bullets in pork meat from the butcher, bones and all, and sometimes covered with clothing. Everything looks different then.

My carry load is now the Hornady FPD 230 gr. +P. But, Frankly, any of the modern bullets will do a good job. I used Golden Sabers but because of their tendency to separate jackets, I'm leaning more towards bondeds. Gold Dots perform well for me also.

I will try to get some of these new HSTs and check them in meat... will post pics when I do.

JWB

I can't seem to find these Federal Bonded rounds anywhere on Federal's website?

Where can I find this ammo?
    ~Lex

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."
    - Pennsylvania Constitution, Section 21

Dramatic Hamster (my avatar)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links