9x18 makarov ammunition

This is a discussion on 9x18 makarov ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings, Does anyone what kind of ammunition is still available in 9x18 makarov, for defensive work? All I can seem to find are 90 to ...

Thread: 9x18 makarov ammunition

9x18 makarov ammunition

Greetings,

Does anyone what kind of ammunition is still available in 9x18 makarov, for defensive work? All I can seem to find are 90 to 95 grain loads. Maybe I was imagining things, but I also thought they had heavier loads available in the 115-120 grain range. Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,
    Peter Maenner

2. Remove Ads

My favorite load is Hornady's 95gr XTP. I don't recall ever seeing anything heavier than 90-95 grain ammo for the Mak.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Assistant Administrator
    Same here - nothing I have found heavier.

I doubt to be honest that a heavier bullet would be an advantage - this std weight choice IMO approximates in equivalent terms the 9x19 115 grain. For the round potential that would still work quite well I think.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I definitely agree with P95. In my own tests the 95gr XTP performed really well. Penetration was very close to many 115gr 9mm loads and expansion was in the .50" range. Not extremely dynamic in expansion but definitely adequate. By the way I am not a fan of the .380. I believe the 9X18 to be a better round. I know that the ballistics look very similar on paper but in my tests they are definitely not the same. I have even killed a couple small(60-70lbs) with a Rusian Mak using the XTP's. One shot each. One of them I shot at 20+ yards that ran 80 or so yards after the shot(I've seen them do the same after a good hit from a high powered rifle). The other I shot at about 10-11 yards and it only ran 30ish yards.
    Last edited by Alien Nation; June 11th, 2007 at 10:34 PM.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Silver Bear used to offer 102 grain hollowpoint, haven't seen it in a while.
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be Happy" Ben Franklin

Sorry my post above is supposed to say 60-70lb deer.

I would definitely try out the Silver Bear load if I could find it. They make some decent ammo.
    Brian

My wife's EG Mak likesThe Hornady XTP or the Blazer Alum case accuracy-wise. It will digest anything you can get in the chamber. Haven't shot anything with it so don't know about performance of the bullets.

Bob
    Edit: FWIW I once shot the famed Federal 9x19 B9HP into a swimming pool with no expansion out of a S&W Auto. Could have reloaded the slug into a fresh case.

Cheaperthandirt.com still sells the Silver Bear 9X18 mak cartridges.

You just need to check frequently. I end up buying them a couple of boxes at a time. Most of the Russian "Bear" shells can be found there.
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    There have indeed been nominal 115- and 120-grain 9x18 rounds on the market ("nominal" because, IIRC, the 120s didn't weigh out that heavy), but I haven't seen any lately.

I just use 95-grain ball, the hottest I can find. Last time I chrono'd my Soviet military Mak, I was averaging 1104 fps with 95-grain ball. I've worked on several killings with 9x18 ball, and it works just fine. Shoots quite accurately and penetrates adequately.

Links