9mm ruptured case

9mm ruptured case

This is a discussion on 9mm ruptured case within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; on my last range trip I was shooting my notmal range 9mm ammo from Wally World. about half way through a 50 rnd box of ...

Question 9mm ruptured case

on my last range trip I was shooting my notmal range 9mm ammo from Wally World. about half way through a 50 rnd box of WW ammo, there was a different sound and my Taurus 99 locked up. I dropped the magazine and put the gun away to examine at home. with quite a bit of effort I was able to rack the slide and ejected the suspected case. The case was ruptured down by the base, but that was not the surprising part. the headstamp showed WW and a date of 88. What gives? it was a suposibly new box of 9mm off the shelf. any experence along these lines?

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome Bob .......... must say that's a puzzler!!

How different was the sound? Sharper? More recoil? If case ruptured then it'd suggest an overhot load, as well as maybe if the brass an old case, different brass and not annealed.

The case date tho is certainly a mystery!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Normally case ruptures as you describe occur due to excessive ramping of the bottom barrel ramp area which reduces the case support provided by the chamber wall. This is true in 1911's. I don't have any experience with Taurus pistols. If other ammo does not malfunction, then the case may have been weak in the base area or the ramping tolerances are right on the edge, or both. This topic is covered in detail in Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manual, "The Colt .45 Automatic' Pg. 68. On annealing brass. DON'T ANNEAL THE BASE AREA.. Necks only. Annealing the base will definitely lead to ruptures.

Sounds like you may have gotten a box of "returned" ammo. Someone filled the tray with a reloaded round that had been shot/reloaded 10-15 times before.

Probably against policy to accept returns on ammo but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I can't believe that a 20 year old case would make it through the manufacturing process.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Sounds like you may have gotten a box of "returned" ammo. Someone filled the tray with a reloaded round that had been shot/reloaded 10-15 times before.

Probably against policy to accept returns on ammo but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I can't believe that a 20 year old case would make it through the manufacturing process.
    Yeah, no returns, they get up set over returns that haven't left the store or even been paid for yet. I said I'll just go set them on the shelf in the baby dept, they took 'em then.

9mm ruptured case

Howdy from Frisco Texas (just outside of Dallas)..
    It sounded like a squib load. I was surprised to see the rupture down by the base Ya think the pistol would be safe to continue range work? I have examined the pistol,especially the barrel and chamber, after disassembly and it seems ok. I used a dowel rod and a small brass hammer to get the case out. A bullet wasn'tnleft in the barrel.
    Over the years I would guess I have reloaded about 8500 rounds of 45acp without a similiar experience.
    guess we could chalk it up to the phases of the moon. sometimes finding a root cause is not productive.
    Thanks for the greeting.

Links