Federal EFMJ & Federal HST

This is a discussion on Federal EFMJ & Federal HST within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wondering if anybody has used or tested the EFMJ load that Federal has offered? I have done alot of reading on it and ...

I am wondering if anybody has used or tested the EFMJ load that Federal has offered? I have done alot of reading on it and tested some 124 grain +P EFMJ 9mm. My testing isn't as perfect but the load impressed me enough to use it as my carry load. I used the HST load in my 40 and it was impressive also but haven't found it in 9mm. Just wanted to hear from others about their experences with these loads. Thanks

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    EFMJ has some issues with reliable expansion. Every few rounds one tends not to expand or will fragment causing either over or under penetration. It works well, however, if you have some reason that precludes you from using hollowpoints (some state law or an unreliable pistol). Otherwise, stick with a good hollowpoint. The HST is an excellent hollowpoint for service calibers. Your inability to find it in 9mm shouldn't be a problem because unless you feel some need to have matching ammo, gold dots and rangers perform on par with the HST.

Assistant Administrator
    Cannot remember where Tony - but I read of some results. Far as I recall, they were reasonable.

I will tho stick with my Gold Dots - for me the most reliable expanders.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have seen some testing results on Enen Marshalls web site and it seem pretty interesting. My Kahr E-9 likes Federal loads and Ranger also Gold Dots,Golden Sabors work well but they are a little larger patterns then I like. I am getting my sights changed to have a front dovetail for my front sight maybe that will help with the loads. Now this new "short barrel CCI Dold Dot" loads look interesting to me also and can't wait to test them out.Currently I am using 124 +P EFMJ (P9CSP1)and Federal +P+ 124 Hydra-Shoks(P9HS3G1) and Winchester 147 SXT Ranger(RA9SXT). These 3 were the best shooting out of my gun and are the easyest to find in my area. As far as 115 grain loads Winchester SilverTips work great out of my guns. My buddy swear by them and its the only ammo he uses for serious stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Cannot remember where Tony - but I read of some results. Far as I recall, they were reasonable.

I will tho stick with my Gold Dots - for me the most reliable expanders.
    I will agree with you they do work and work well.Just wish they shot better out of my guns. Maybe this new short barrel loads will do it for me. I know in my 38 snub they work out very well.

In recent ballistic testing it was found that even the short barrel 38 loads aren't expanding. Your best bet in 38 for a snubbie is still the LSWC.

evan marshal's websight is pseudo science. Read some articles by martin fackler.

only ballistic testing ill trust is the DB method ... there a dead body heres what did it to many variablles that gelitain and all the people doing ballistics cant take into account.. i want real world results not lab stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    only ballistic testing ill trust is the DB method ... there a dead body heres what did it to many variablles that gelitain and all the people doing ballistics cant take into account.. i want real world results not lab stuff..
    In that case, .22lr has killed more people than just about any other caliber. Enjoy your new gun.

well i will 10 rounds no recoil works for me

FLM
    Here are recent tests of Federal HST by Doc Roberts-

9mm Fed 147 gr JHP HST (P9HST2) from G17:
    BG: vel=1037f/s, pen=11.9, RD=0.64, RW=147.8gr
    4 layer denim: vel=1049f/s, pen=14.7, RD=0.54, RW=147.5gr
    auto windshield: vel=1042 f/s, pen=13.4, RD=0.53, RW=140.4gr

.40 S&W Fed 180 gr JHP HST (P40HST1) from S&W 4006
    BG: vel=960 f/s, pen=12.6, RD=.65, RW=181.1gr
    4 layer denim: vel=961 f/s, pen=15.6, RD=0.62, 181.3 gr
    auto windshield: vel=904 f/s, pen=15.2, RD=0.47, RW=180.4gr

.45 ACP Fed 230 gr +P JHP HST (P45HST1) from 1911
    BG: vel=926 f/s, pen=12.6, RD=.74, RW=231.8gr
    4 layer denim: vel=915 f/s, pen=15.4, RD=0.67, 231.1 gr
    auto windshield: vel=918 f/s, pen=19.7, RD=0.54, RW=228.6gr

As previously reported, the initial production Federal HST bullets failed to expand reliably in denim testing. The new versions appear to have solved this deficiency and offer good terminal performance across the spectrum.

FLM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Bud, I agree, a good track record in actual shootings is something I always look for. That's why I carry Ranger T. It's used by a lot of LE departments with great success. It also does well in tests. Here are yet more recent tests by Doc Roberts.

-- Note: When reporting the RD of handgun bullets like the Federal HST, Nosler Partition Gold, and Barnes XPB, it is important to recall that the correct RD is the average of the SMALLEST and LARGEST measurements taken at the leading face of the bullet. Several recent tests seem to be incorrectly reporting the expansion of these types of bullets, improperly using only the largest measurement to offer an exaggerated RD size.

The Win 124 gr +P Ranger Talon (RA124TP) load carries on in the outstanding fashion that has been the hallmark of the Ranger-T loads. From a G17:
    BG: vel=1242f/s, pen=13.0, RD=0.62, RW=114.7gr
    4 layer denim: vel=1238f/s, pen=13.0, RD=0.59, RW=116.8gr
    Auto windshields: vel=1235 f/s, pen=18.9, RD=0.50, RW=117.5gr

Win 147 gr JHP Ranger Talon (RA9T) from G17
    BG: vel=987f/s, pen=15, RD=0.59, RW=148.1gr
    4 layer denim: vel=1005f/s, pen=15.7, RD=0.55, RW=144.1gr

Win 230 gr +P JHP Ranger Talon (RA45TP) from 1911
    BG: vel=950f/s, pen=15.7, RD=0.59, RW=195.5gr
    4 layer denim: vel=958f/s, pen=15.2, RD=0.72, RW=230.2gr

Note: During the BG test with the RA45TP, some over expansion with folding back of the petals, along with fragmentation was observed, resulting in less expansion than usually seen with this bullet-probably as a result of the velocity being on the hot side. The bullet worked perfectly in the denim testing.

------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by clubsoda22
    In recent ballistic testing it was found that even the short barrel 38 loads aren't expanding. Your best bet in 38 for a snubbie is still the LSWC.

evan marshal's websight is pseudo science. Read some articles by martin fackler.
    Got banned there did you??? Sour soda!!
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Lets not make it personal next one gets this thread shut down keep it on track or its gone..

Bud Please close this one.

Bud go ahead and close this one down. I was just seeing if anybody had some more info or use with these loads. Last thing I want is for it to start some stuff.

Finally got to test some HST 9mm in 124 & 147 grain loads and was very surprised in my informal testing. I have no doubt that this is a very good carry round. While I was testing I tested the 124+P EFMJ load and it was a good preformer also.I did test some Gold Dot +P 124 NYPD load and it was good also but the Federal loads worked better with my gun.Group size from a rest at 15 yards was sub 2" average.The Gold Dots group size from the rest were in the sub 4" range. Not too bad with a 3.5" bbl Kahr.

Links