.40 vs .45 GAP

This is a discussion on .40 vs .45 GAP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to this forum, and a LEO in PA. My department is switching to Glock 37's in .45 GAP. We previously had .40 Beretta's. ...

Thread: .40 vs .45 GAP

.40 vs .45 GAP

I'm new to this forum, and a LEO in PA. My department is switching to Glock 37's in .45 GAP. We previously had .40 Beretta's. I'm trying to decide on a back up, between a Glock 27 ( 10 shot) or the new Glock 39 ( 6 plus one) in .45 GAP. I was never a big .40 fan, but can get ammo pretty cheap. I was thinking of carrying the .40 with 165 grn Golden Sabres. Would that be a good defensive load. I'm looking for any opinions on my choices and any feed back on the .45 GAP as far as actual shootings, and on the .40 caliber with a lighter grain bullet. We carry 180 grn in our Berretas. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Welcome!

If your department is going to give you ammo frequently for free and practice, I would stay with the GAP=YOU shooting more=You getting/staying even more profficient (man I can't spell today). If they don't give you alot of ammo to practice with I would say go with the .40 Ammo is cheaper so you can get more proffient/stay proficent. If it was just between those guns that would be my recommendation or my .02.

When your talking very good well known SD calibers .40 and .45 GAP are both pretty darn good, as far as, a handgun is concerned. Energy, expansion, penatration, is kind of all very close your kind of asking which one tastes better Red M&M's or Green. The biggest thing is going to be operator ability.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; June 14th, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by robatom2 View Post
    I'm new to this forum, and a LEO in PA. My department is switching to Glock 37's in .45 GAP. We previously had .40 Beretta's. I'm trying to decide on a back up, between a Glock 27 ( 10 shot) or the new Glock 39 ( 6 plus one) in .45 GAP. I was never a big .40 fan, but can get ammo pretty cheap. I was thinking of carrying the .40 with 165 grn Golden Sabres. Would that be a good defensive load. I'm looking for any opinions on my choices and any feed back on the .45 GAP as far as actual shootings, and on the .40 caliber with a lighter grain bullet. We carry 180 grn in our Berretas. Thanks in advance.
    I carry my Beretta with the 165 gr. Golden Sabres because they work well in my gun, I can find them pretty much anywhwere, and have low flash compared with the Winchester 155 gr. LE Rangers I had (even though the Rangers are about half the price). Both the Golden Sabres and Rangers pack a nice amount of energy.

Personally, I like the size of the 27, it is just about right for the calibre. I took an advanced shooting class with a guy shooting a 39 and he was all over the silhouettes, even on standing/slowfire drills.

I guess if you can afford to shoot the 39 as much to get good with it, then go for it. BUT, given this is going to be your BUG (as you stated in your post) to a G37 then you have the interchangeability with the mags/ammo from your primary.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

I'd go with the .45 GAP so that both your duty gun and back up are the same.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Falsemap View Post
    I would agree.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I would agree.
    Thats a good route to go as well.

I know a few cops that carry 9's and use a small J frame 38 as a back up.

However, I would still say go with what you can make hits with. That little GAP is pretty snippy from what I remember expecially if your duty issue is anything close to a +p load. Plus if you have to do a mag change with a pistol that holds 9+1, you MIGHT have the wrong gun in your hand, I'm thinking maybe more along the lines of a AR or Shotgun. Average shooting is about 2 feet and consists of around 2-5 shots depending on who you ask, and most people scatter when they hear gun shots.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Falsemap View Post
    In this case the .45 gap would make good sense.

Assistant Administrator
    Common cal would certainly maintain consistency - and so GAP appears the choice.

Welcome BTW - where in PA do you operate?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks for all your repsonses , I really appreciate the input. To answer Robb99 about our department issuing ammo it's very little, 50-100 rounds per year, that's in addition to what we qualify with. So to practice a lot, I have to buy my own, which is why I'm uncertain about the GAP. If it catches on, prices should come down, but currently the .40 is a better deal. I wonder if the .45 GAP will appeal only to a relatively few departments, like the .357 sig.
    P95 Carry- I mainly work in Northwest PA (Erie) but sometimes get down your way and do cases in the Pittsburgh area.

If it were me, there's no doubt in my mind that I would go with the .40 because we're talking about a backup gun. .45 ACP and .45 GAP loads are developed and tested for 5" barrels, while .40 are developed and tested in 4" barrels. The short barreled .40 you will keep you closer to the velocity window you need for the JHP to perform as designed.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Since your having to buy your own ammo I would go with the 40SW. I have a Glock 22 and just traded off a Glock 37. Switching between them was a no brainier. I got rid of the 37 because it was just too hard to find ammo for it in my area. Loved the gun and it was a pleasure to shoot.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Its super nice to have a back up that uses the same ammo and mags as your primary. Although the GAP is not my favorite cartridge by a long shot, I think it would be wise to keep it all the same. On the flip side depending on the size of your dept., I would be willing to bet that they will move away from the GAP in a few years, leaving you with an odd ball gun.
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 15th, 2007 at 08:48 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It would make good sense to have your primary & BUG using the same ammo and the mags from your primary can also be used in your BUG, with both being Glocks of the same caliber. Having your ammo supplied makes it an even easier choice. Just my .2 cents.

I'm a big fan of the duty gun and the back up being the same caliber and if possible use the same magazines. That way, if your duty gun is disables or you lose it, you not only have the back up but plenty of reload ammo already in magazines that will work in the back up gun.

Just more ways to save your butt.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

DRT
    Sorry to hear you have to carry a GAP on duty. Glock must be giving them away for a song. Since GAP is not catching on by itself, Glock is dumping them cheap. Hopefully you'll get some decent ammo, (not Gold Dots).

Ammo not readily available for GAP, never will be either since GAP will never become very popular.

Links