HPR Black Ops 40 S&W 105 gr.

This is a discussion on HPR Black Ops 40 S&W 105 gr. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody tried these? Gun I'll be testing them in is a Beretta PX4 Storm full size. I'm a little leary, tried the 60 gr Liberty ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: HPR Black Ops 40 S&W 105 gr.

Anybody tried these? Gun I'll be testing them in is a Beretta PX4 Storm full size.

I'm a little leary, tried the 60 gr Liberty Civil Defense and had a FTE issue after the 6th round fired of rapid firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

60 gran in a .40S&W? That seems like its a tad light to me for that caliber. I try to stick to standard bullet weights. 155 gr. and 180 gr. for the .40 cartridge.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Yep, 60 grain nickel plated copper hollow point. Lol.

That's what I thought too. As you can see on the box, they're fast little boogers at 2000 FPS.

I guess this is my last resort on ultralight ammo with these 105 grain HPR black ops rounds. I could of just had a squib round when I shot the Liberty's but, I haven't had a single issue with all the other ammo I've shot and that's been Hornady, Winchester and Federal.

Senior Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    I carry a .40 because I can use 180gr. I always go with the heavier bullet design for that specific caliber.
    corneileous likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by casurvivor View Post
    I carry a .40 because I can use 180gr. I always go with the heavier bullet design for that specific caliber.
    Why's that? Right now my carry ammo is the 165 grain Critical Defense by Hornaday. I figure that's a good median between knockdown power when it gets there and how fast it gets there for a non frangible bullet.

I liked my gun being a lot lighter too with 18 of them in there.

VIP Member
    I know a guy that ankle carries a G27 with the Liberty ammo for the weight savings. If you're already carrying a full size pistol, I don't think weight is an issue with the right gear, unless you have a health issue that would restrict things. For me at least, a 92FS with 16rds of 147gr on board is no harder to carry than my P239 with 8 rds of 125gr 357Sig.

Unless I absolutely needed the weight savings, or wall penetration was a concern, I'd stick with conventional bullet weights.
    ca survivor likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    I know a guy that ankle carries a G27 with the Liberty ammo for the weight savings. If you're already carrying a full size pistol, I don't think weight is an issue with the right gear, unless you have a health issue that would restrict things.
    Well, I haven't carried my Beretta directly on me for a full day yet because I haven't had a conceal carry holster yet and I refuse to carry it openly so, I've yet to find out whether lighter ammo will make much of s difference or not. But I will say though, 18 rounds of 60 grain Liberty's was significantly lighter than the regular ole 180 grain hollowpoint Hornadys. I never weighed it for exact number of weight loss but, it was quite a bit lighter. I figgered it up where three of the Libertys weighed the same as one 180 grainer.
    For me at least, a 92FS with 16rds of 147gr on board is no harder to carry than my P239 with 8 rds of 125gr 357Sig.
    That's good to hear.
    Unless I absolutely needed the weight savings, or wall penetration was a concern, I'd stick with conventional bullet weights.
    See, that's my primary fear, especially with a 40, is over penetration. I dunno, I'm probably gonna have this concern with whatever i shoot.

Just get a Glock 23 and save 4 ounces. :)
    Why a full size handgun if weight is a concern?
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Why's that? Right now my carry ammo is the 165 grain Critical Defense by Hornaday. I figure that's a good median between knockdown power when it gets there and how fast it gets there for a non frangible bullet.

Worried about them ducking.............
    corneileous likes this.

Distinguished Member Array wsquared's Avatar
    I am suspicious of any product that is advertised as "black ops"...and I am curious as to exactly why 40 caliber defensive ammunition is tied in to "black ops". If it is marketed with a gimmick, how much of it's design is actually a gimmick?
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Just get a Glock 23 and save 4 ounces. :)
    Why a full size handgun if weight is a concern?
    I don't do guns that don't have an external safety and strictly rely on a trigger safety.

Because when I bought this gun I didn't have intentions of conceal carrying at all. Lol.

Besides, weight really isn't that much of a concern but, I these rounds fire good and don't cause issues, I would like to cut down a little bit on weight if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by con42 View Post
    Worried about them ducking.............
    Lol!!!

I thought the full size PX4 in .40 only held 14 rounds per mag? I know the 9mm version is 17+1, unless you are using a base plate that gives you added capacity. Or a Mec-Gar mag.

I carry a SIG P229 loaded with 165 gr. Rangers at the moment, and don't have an issue with the weight. What kind of belt are you using? A good gun belt makes a world of difference.

I think my next ammo purchase is going to be some Underwood 180 gr. Gold Dots.

Have you looked into Barnes ammo or a manufacture that uses the Barnes solid copper bullet? I think they come in 125 and 140 grain bullets. Just another option to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post

Knockdown power... in handgun calibers... umm.... OK.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links