Ok try again. Primary CCW Caliber - Page 2

Ok try again. Primary CCW Caliber

This is a discussion on Ok try again. Primary CCW Caliber within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just want to say that I voted for .45 ACP , not the gap......

View Poll Results: Primary CCW Caliber Carried

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • 45 ACP or Colt orGAP

39 46.43%
  • 44 Mag or SPL

0 0%
  • 41 Mag

0 0%
  • 10MM

1 1.19%
  • 40 S&W

11 13.10%
  • 9MM

25 29.76%
  • 357 SIG

1 1.19%
  • 357 MAG

3 3.57%
  • 38 SPL

2 2.38%
  • 380 ACP

0 0%
  • 32 ACP

1 1.19%
  • Other

1 1.19%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I just want to say that I voted for .45ACP, not the gap...

Lead Moderator
    .40 S&W , both my compact and full size.

Exclamation 357 Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    As the only person, here, who actually shoots it (or is willing to admit to it, anyway), I have to disagree on a couple of points.
    .357 SIG isn't noticeably louder than 9mm +P+ or .40S&W +P defensive loads. It is noticeably louder than a 9mm standard load, and somewhat louder than a .40S&W standard load. Just my opinion.
    O-M-G. I have to stridently disagree here and so would nearly all of my IDPA club. When we're shooting a course of fire, even with muffs (electronic or standard) everybody JUMPS the first time a member (one of the few to use the 357sig) sends a round downrange! It usually goes like this: "CRACK!!! Criminey what the EFF was THAT? Oh sheeeesh it's JOE with that BLANKETY BLANK SIG!"
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar

Thumbs up

i carry .40 S&W, 165 gr Speer Gold Dot, all the time, every time

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    O-M-G. I have to stridently disagree here and so would nearly all of my IDPA club. When we're shooting a course of fire, even with muffs (electronic or standard) everybody JUMPS the first time a member (one of the few to use the 357sig) sends a round downrange! It usually goes like this: "CRACK!!! Criminey what the EFF was THAT? Oh sheeeesh it's JOE with that BLANKETY BLANK SIG!"
    Strident disagreement noted. (smile) But are you guys shooting +P+ defensive loads or standard pressure FMJ? A .357 SIG standard load is pushing a 125gr FMJ about 100-250fps faster than a +P+ 9mm load. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I maintain that it is about on par with other loads pushing similarly sized bullets out of similarly sized barrels at similar speeds. People take notice when someone at the outdoor range is shooting 9mm Gold Dots or Ranger loads, too.

I realize it is a magical round, and that the mere presence of one makes perps fall over in a deep swoon, but the fact remains that it is a necked down .40 case with enough powder to push a .355 bullet down a 4.5" barrel, at 1450 fps, with a chamber pressure of about 37-40k. It can't be that much louder than a similarly powered 9mm or .40.

BTW, I shot my first sub-second pair, yesterday, and managed to keep the second shot within 2" of the first! I was pleased. The world was amazed. The perps were trembling. Everybody said, "Ooo, it's Tom with that beautiful SIG!"
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Talking L-o-u-d!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    Strident disagreement noted. (smile) But are you guys shooting +P+ defensive loads or standard pressure FMJ? A .357 SIG standard load is pushing a 125gr FMJ about 100-250fps faster than a +P+ 9mm load. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I maintain that it is about on par with other loads pushing similarly sized bullets out of similarly sized barrels at similar speeds. People take notice when someone at the outdoor range is shooting 9mm Gold Dots or Ranger loads, too.
    I don't actually know what the Sig guys shoot, but my guess is that unless they're (to use a Gumpism) GO-zillion-aires they're using low powered or reloaded ammo, because +P combat ammo is EXPENSIVE especially for the 357 Sig. But, I dunno. I just know that me and most of the other IDPA shooters in our club can clearly identify when somebody is lighting off a 357 Sig even among SEVEN active stages being run simultaneously! Most of those stages have shooters using either .40 or .45 and STILL the 357 Sig stands out clearly.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I'm just sad I'm all alone with the 38 Special.

I feel inspired to pen a children's story.

"The Little Gold Dots Who Could"

Subtitle:

"Expand out of a Really Short Barrel"

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I'm just sad I'm all alone with the 38 Special.

I feel inspired to pen a children's story.

"The Little Gold Dots Who Could"

Subtitle:

"Expand out of a Really Short Barrel"

Besides carrying my E-9 I also carry a Model 60 S&W loaded with Speer 135 +P GoldDots and carried in an ankle rig. I use this set up when I am doing alot of driving.

3" S&W 65-3 loaded with PMC
    357mag starfires,this is my
    daily carry piece.I've also
    carried my 3" S&W 24-3 44
    spl or a S&W 625-7 45 colt.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I don't actually know what the Sig guys shoot, but my guess is that unless they're (to use a Gumpism) GO-zillion-aires they're using low powered or reloaded ammo, because +P combat ammo is EXPENSIVE especially for the 357 Sig. But, I dunno. I just know that me and most of the other IDPA shooters in our club can clearly identify when somebody is lighting off a 357 Sig even among SEVEN active stages being run simultaneously! Most of those stages have shooters using either .40 or .45 and STILL the 357 Sig stands out clearly.
    OK. We're getting somewhere. I have absolutely no doubt that a .357 SIG standard load FMJ is significantly louder than a standard load or low-powered 9mm, or even standard load .40 and .45. What I said was that I thought it was on par with +P+ 9mm and +P .40 and .45. I have noticed that folks who practice with low-powered or standard loads are often startled when they shoot hot defensive loads, because they are much louder, with more flash, and sharper felt recoil. The standard loads in .357 SIG are frequently equivalent to the hot loads in other calibers. If you put my 125gr standard load .357 SIG up against a 124gr +P+ 9mm, my bullet is going to be 100-250fps faster, and the boom might be slightly louder, but only slightly.

My target loads are 125gr standard pressure .357 SIG FMJ rated at 1350-1450fps, depending on the brand. My defensive loads are 125gr standard pressure .357 SIG JHP rated at 1450fps. I have never seen +P loads for .357 SIG, though I expect they exist. My defensive loads are not particularly hotter than my practice loads. They sound the same and behave the same, and the pistol was designed to eat those loads all day every day without excessive wear and tear. I like that consistency. My practice loads cost me $8.50 per 50. I'm not rich.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Now the results are surprising
    so far. I figured the 45 would be number 1 but I didn't expect the 9mm to be number 2 and the 40S&W being 3rd.

9mm....mainly because that was the only offering from Glock at the time; if the wife takes over the G-19 as it looks like she will, I will replace it with a G-29 compact 10mm

.40 S&W. I've been carrying Golden Sabers, but I've got some Winchester Ranger sxt to try out.

Wow, why wouldn't you carry a 45? :outtahere

Actually I'm not finding it all that surprising.

.45 I figured would be first, being that a full size semiautomatic pistol is most people's choice be it a Sig, Glock, 1911, etc.

9x19 is a very popular choice, it's cheap, there's lots of guns for it, and a lot of people like the capacity. A lot of people just like the little 9mm pistols that fit in a pocket and I can't blame them.

.40 S&W being third makes sense because almost everything available in 9x19 comes in .40 too and some people think a little more punch is better than a little more capacity.

I am a little surprised .357 and .38 don't have more votes because nearly everyone on this forum has such a gun from what I gather. To be honest I secretly suspect these little revolvers see more carry time than anything else for the majority of people.

A lot of these other calibers, like .44 Special, may be good choices but they're just unusual, and others are just too small for most people to be comfortable with, especially with all the tiny 9x19s out there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links