Ok try again. Primary CCW Caliber - Page 3

Ok try again. Primary CCW Caliber

This is a discussion on Ok try again. Primary CCW Caliber within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Euclidean I am a little surprised .357 and .38 don't have more votes because nearly everyone on this forum has such a ...

View Poll Results: Primary CCW Caliber Carried

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • 45 ACP or Colt orGAP

39 46.43%
  • 44 Mag or SPL

0 0%
  • 41 Mag

0 0%
  • 10MM

1 1.19%
  • 40 S&W

11 13.10%
  • 9MM

25 29.76%
  • 357 SIG

1 1.19%
  • 357 MAG

3 3.57%
  • 38 SPL

2 2.38%
  • 380 ACP

0 0%
  • 32 ACP

1 1.19%
  • Other

1 1.19%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ok try again. Primary CCW Caliber

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I am a little surprised .357 and .38 don't have more votes because nearly everyone on this forum has such a gun from what I gather.
    Euc, I have a Ruger SP101 in .357 and I don't think I've actually carried it in years. It's on it's way to my daughter as her home defense gun. Although I might replace it with a Ruger "Alaskan" I'm just as likely to never buy another DA revolver again. I might, just on the grounds of nostalgia, buy a Ruger SA in 45 Colt with "Birds Head" grips. That wouldn't be a carry gun, either. But it might become a "hobby gun" to slowly and lovingly build up. Put ivory grips and perhaps get it engraved or other decorative additions.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Almost always .45ACP for my Wilson Combat Millenium Protector. I decided a few years ago that I'm most comfortable with a 1911, and I shoot more accurately with one. Since this one is the most accurate and reliable 1911 I've ever owned, I've adjusted my wardrobe accordingly to make sure it's always carried (even for Texas summers). If on the rare occasion I can't (say repairs), I move to my 9MM Browning Hi Power.

Thank you John Browning.
    "I carry a gun because it is my responsibility alone - not that of the police, nor the government, nor the community - to defend the precious lives that God has entrusted to me."
    Will Dougan, writing in gomemphis.com 08/17/03

Smile Just wanted to say thanks

Just wanted to say thanks to all who took the time to answer my poll question. I has been very interesting and suprising to find out what seems to be the most common carried caliber. I wasn't sure if the 45 or 40 would be number 1 but the 45 won and 9mm was second and the 40 was a distant 3rd. I really was shocked with 38 or 357 results.
    Thanks Again

Those of you shooting a 9mm, shoot accurately!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    I have never seen +P loads for .357 SIG, though I expect they exist. My defensive loads are not particularly hotter than my practice loads. They sound the same and behave the same, and the pistol was designed to eat those loads all day every day without excessive wear and tear. I like that consistency. My practice loads cost me $8.50 per 50. I'm not rich.
    I haven't ever seen a +P round for .357 Sig.

Having just purchased one recently, the price on ammo isn't that bad. I'm paying roughly $10 a box, about the same that .45 ACP costs me.

I can live with that.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

This is a very surprising disscussion. I expected all of the 45 shooters. I expected 40 to blow 9mm away. A 40 round is so much more than a 9mm ballistically and it is larger in diameter. I'm a firm beliver that initial bullet diameter is far more important than most anything else when I choose my CCW round.

For those of you who choose 9mm over 40, why? They usually are packages in the same guns, right?

Nate if I could speculate:

I think the reason why is that in a compact gun, 9mm is the new and improved .380.

I know a lot of people value capacity over power. The way they look at it, a 9mm will get the job done just as well as a .40 will so why not have more of them?

Not to mention shooting .40 S&W is unpleasant for some people. I myself was surprised the first time I got my hands on it how much muzzle flip there was.

If I was wanting a pocket pistol in an automatic, I think I'd opt for the 9mm too as I believe in control and placement over raw power, and I have reservations about the .380.

Plus a lot of people were already shooting 9x19 long before they were exposed to .40 S&W, so why not stick with what you know?

I also think 9mm is still somewhat more popular than .40 S&W. Go to a chain sporting goods store and the 9mm chambered pistols usually outnumber every other handgun caliber. When that's what's available, that's what people use.

If nothing else it comes down to price. For instance when I looked at getting an XD, it certainly did occur to me that the 9mm chambering is cheaper, as is practice ammunition.

And finally I know some people have medical issues with recoil, and the light recoil of the 9x19 round offers them something relatively powerful for the recoil it generates.

DC Founder
    I'm not sure why some people complain about the recoil in a .40. I honestly cannot tell that much difference between a .40 and a 9mm in the area of recoil.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Nate if I could speculate:

. . .I know a lot of people value capacity over power. The way they look at it, a 9mm will get the job done just as well as a .40 will so why not have more of them?. . ..
    I've heard this argumeent before. I guess it is one line of thinking. I myself think if I can't hit my target then another 8 won't help me much. I also usually don't like the double stack grip in terms of pointability and ease of using the trigger.

. . . If I was wanting a pocket pistol in an automatic, I think I'd opt for the 9mm too as I believe in control and placement over raw power, and I have reservations about the .380..
    Interesting point, but I think my money was well spent on my 357 mag revolver. Good in the pocket or a small holster. It also stops like a 40 or 45ACP in thee testss I 've read, but honestly, I feel a little under gunned with that size bullet.

. . .Plus a lot of people were already shooting 9x19 long before they were exposed to .40 S&W, so why not stick with what you know?

I also think 9mm is still somewhat more popular than .40 S&W. Go to a chain sporting goods store and the 9mm chambered pistols usually outnumber every other handgun caliber. When that's what's available, that's what people use. .
    I can buy the history point, but the point about shooting what the stores have. I cannot believe that people are shooting what some punk behind the counter just happens to show them. Yes, there are big box stores which sell guns, but beware of the advice given there. Also, make sure the gun you look at is unloaded because usually they don't have a clue!

Assistant Administrator
    Nate's - gotta dash - bike ride!!

I adopt 9mm for economy (IDPA etc) and - the capacity factor. May be smaller but more of 'em!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate's 45
    I've heard this argumeent before. I guess it is one line of thinking.
    The error that is being made here is that you're extrapolating what works for you into a universal, one of the most common errors in logic.

I myself think if I can't hit my target then another 8 won't help me much.
    It's not about hitting in eight. It's about stopping the threat.

What got me away from my dalliance with the 1911 was realizing that I had 9 shots, and that meant if I was dealing with a typical home invasion or armed robbery, I had 3 shots tops per assailant, of which even if I'm five times better than the average cop under stress means I get 1.5 hits each. With current ballistic info and the FBI finally realizing that there is no handgun alive sufficient to stop with one shot 100% of the time, I'm uncomfortable as heck.

In a recent real-world incident out here, a friend of mine narrowly missed a string of six to eight young miscreants doing home invasions while armed. The house on the left and house on the right of him were hit, and they tried to get into his.

I don't want 9 in that scenario even with a shotgun.

I also usually don't like the double stack grip in terms of pointability and ease of using the trigger.
    That's you, not a universal.

Interesting point, but I think my money was well spent on my 357 mag revolver. Good in the pocket or a small holster. It also stops like a 40 or 45ACP in thee testss I 've read, but honestly, I feel a little under gunned with that size bullet.
    In the typical tests, the .357 is fired out of a 4 or 6 inch service revolver. Out of a pocket gun, there are two schools of thought. One is that without the extra barrel it's all flash and bang, and is born out by what I've seen in the chronograph at the range.

In a snubnose, I personally feel undergunned with anything but a .44 special.

Personally, I'm happy with my 18 in 9mm with bullets of my choosing, but I can swap out with the same exact platform to my .357 Sig and have 14 ready to go as well.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links