Ok try again. Primary CCW Caliber

This is a discussion on Ok try again. Primary CCW Caliber within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to know whats your Primary CCW Caliber, not what is carried on duty but what you personally carry. Thanks...

View Poll Results: Primary CCW Caliber Carried

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • 45 ACP or Colt orGAP

39 46.43%
  • 44 Mag or SPL

0 0%
  • 41 Mag

0 0%
  • 10MM

1 1.19%
  • 40 S&W

11 13.10%
  • 9MM

25 29.76%
  • 357 SIG

1 1.19%
  • 357 MAG

3 3.57%
  • 38 SPL

2 2.38%
  • 380 ACP

0 0%
  • 32 ACP

1 1.19%
  • Other

1 1.19%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I wanted to know whats your Primary CCW Caliber, not what is carried on duty but what you personally carry. Thanks

Currently I carry 9mm and sometimes 38 SPL, but I have used others at different times.

9mm is primary and in bug. Sometimes .45 ACP, but not very often as that is a heavy gun to carry around all day long.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

To be honest it's .38 Special, because it's most likely to be what I have on me. I wish I could say it was something else but it just doesn't work out that way. I might get me a tiny 9x19 some day but that won't be for a long time.

1952 - 2006
    Being an old dinosaur I carry the old dinosaur killer. 1911 45ACP. Either my full size custom Rock River Arms or my Kimber CDP Compact. One of the two are at hand 24/7.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I carry 45 9mm and 38 just as much but ill go with 45 acp

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I usually CCW with 9mm or .40, but since I like the 9mm I voted for it. :) I have a 1911 that I may start carrying some once the holster I ordered for it arrives.

I split evenly between .45 and .40 usually on a whim. However for my summer vacation to get the pup from Texas, I'll be carrying the Glock M27 40 for a variety of specific reasons. Some of these reasons are compromises.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Mostly now 9mm - SIG 226 15+1, +P Gold Dots. Have almost same ammo for R9 - but std pressure. If I use SP-101 then that has Cor-Bon +P's. I doubt I have used .45acp for carry much at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

"The Ancient One"

ColdForeDEEfiveCowLobErr...I think that's how you spell it?

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    ColdForeDEEfiveCowLobErr...I think that's how you spell it?
    Yup, same thing I carry. Nothing but....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Nine milimeter primarily for the past five years, but I do keep a 45 auto at home in a hidden location.

Senior Moderator
    9mm for me, but I was kinda surprised by the low per cent for the .357 Sig. The "buzz" about its stopping power, improved shootablility, flat trajectory, and accuracty kinda makes one think it's more popular than that.

Thumbs down 357 Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    9mm for me, but I was kinda surprised by the low per cent for the .357 Sig. The "buzz" about its stopping power, improved shootablility, flat trajectory, and accuracty kinda makes one think it's more popular than that.
    IMHO the 357 Sig is a good round, but it is very expensive and it is waaaaaay too L-O-U-D! Even a 45 will produce a loud boom, but not hurt your ears in that special way that a 357 sig can...even thru earmuffs! Imagine firing such a pice in the close confines of a vehicle. You might....just MIGHT wind up deaf...permanently. That's why I think the 357sig hasn't caught fire and if it hasn't by now it probably won't. Now let's look at the 45 GAP. Is that an answer to an unasked question? Maybe. Have to see.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    IMHO the 357 Sig is a good round, but it is very expensive and it is waaaaaay too L-O-U-D! Even a 45 will produce a loud boom, but not hurt your ears in that special way that a 357 sig can...even thru earmuffs! Imagine firing such a pice in the close confines of a vehicle. You might....just MIGHT wind up deaf...permanently. That's why I think the 357sig hasn't caught fire and if it hasn't by now it probably won't. Now let's look at the 45 GAP. Is that an answer to an unasked question? Maybe. Have to see.
    As the only person, here, who actually shoots it (or is willing to admit to it, anyway), I have to disagree on a couple of points.

The prices on .357 SIG ammo have come down as the round has gained popularity. I can get quality range ammo at $85 per 500. I can get a variety of premium JHP for between $12.50 and $16 per box of 50, including RA357SIGT and Gold Dots. I can reload, if I choose.

.357 SIG isn't noticeably louder than 9mm +P+ or .40S&W +P defensive loads. It is noticeably louder than a 9mm standard load, and somewhat louder than a .40S&W standard load. Just my opinion.

The big difference between .357 SIG and other, more popular cartridges, is that range loads perform identically to defensive loads, since both are at standard loadings. I know exactly how my pistol is going to sound and feel in a defensive situation, and I know I'm going to get .357 Mag performance with less recoil and less noise.

.357 SIG is being used by an ever increasing list of LEA's at the Federal, State and Local levels, and contracts have been issued for various branches of DHS. Most, if not all LEA's that have changed to .357 SIG have stuck with it. The VSP ballistics forensic scientist says it is becoming one of the most common rounds he sees, almost on par with the .40S&W.
    Last edited by Tom357; April 29th, 2005 at 01:42 PM. Reason: oops, hit reply too soon...
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links