Defensive Carry banner

Primary CCW Caliber Carried

Ok try again. Primary CCW Caliber

6K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  rfurtkamp 
#1 ·
I wanted to know whats your Primary CCW Caliber, not what is carried on duty but what you personally carry. Thanks

#3 ·
9mm is primary and in bug. Sometimes .45 ACP, but not very often as that is a heavy gun to carry around all day long.

#5 ·
Being an old dinosaur I carry the old dinosaur killer. 1911 45ACP. Either my full size custom Rock River Arms or my Kimber CDP Compact. One of the two are at hand 24/7.

#8 ·
I split evenly between .45 and .40 usually on a whim. However for my summer vacation to get the pup from Texas, I'll be carrying the Glock M27 40 for a variety of specific reasons. Some of these reasons are compromises.

#9 ·
Mostly now 9mm - SIG 226 15+1, +P Gold Dots. Have almost same ammo for R9 - but std pressure. If I use SP-101 then that has Cor-Bon +P's. I doubt I have used .45acp for carry much at all.

#12 ·
Nine milimeter primarily for the past five years, but I do keep a 45 auto at home in a hidden location.

#13 ·
9mm for me, but I was kinda surprised by the low per cent for the .357 Sig. The "buzz" about its stopping power, improved shootablility, flat trajectory, and accuracty kinda makes one think it's more popular than that.

#14 ·
357 Sig

Tangle said:
9mm for me, but I was kinda surprised by the low per cent for the .357 Sig. The "buzz" about its stopping power, improved shootablility, flat trajectory, and accuracty kinda makes one think it's more popular than that.
IMHO the 357 Sig is a good round, but it is very expensive and it is waaaaaay too L-O-U-D! Even a 45 will produce a loud boom, but not hurt your ears in that special way that a 357 sig can...even thru earmuffs! Imagine firing such a pice in the close confines of a vehicle. You might....just MIGHT wind up deaf...permanently. That's why I think the 357sig hasn't caught fire and if it hasn't by now it probably won't. Now let's look at the 45 GAP. Is that an answer to an unasked question? Maybe. Have to see.

#15 · (Edited)
ExSoldier762 said:
IMHO the 357 Sig is a good round, but it is very expensive and it is waaaaaay too L-O-U-D! Even a 45 will produce a loud boom, but not hurt your ears in that special way that a 357 sig can...even thru earmuffs! Imagine firing such a pice in the close confines of a vehicle. You might....just MIGHT wind up deaf...permanently. That's why I think the 357sig hasn't caught fire and if it hasn't by now it probably won't. Now let's look at the 45 GAP. Is that an answer to an unasked question? Maybe. Have to see.
As the only person, here, who actually shoots it (or is willing to admit to it, anyway), I have to disagree on a couple of points.

The prices on .357 SIG ammo have come down as the round has gained popularity. I can get quality range ammo at $85 per 500. I can get a variety of premium JHP for between $12.50 and $16 per box of 50, including RA357SIGT and Gold Dots. I can reload, if I choose.

.357 SIG isn't noticeably louder than 9mm +P+ or .40S&W +P defensive loads. It is noticeably louder than a 9mm standard load, and somewhat louder than a .40S&W standard load. Just my opinion.

The big difference between .357 SIG and other, more popular cartridges, is that range loads perform identically to defensive loads, since both are at standard loadings. I know exactly how my pistol is going to sound and feel in a defensive situation, and I know I'm going to get .357 Mag performance with less recoil and less noise.

.357 SIG is being used by an ever increasing list of LEA's at the Federal, State and Local levels, and contracts have been issued for various branches of DHS. Most, if not all LEA's that have changed to .357 SIG have stuck with it. The VSP ballistics forensic scientist says it is becoming one of the most common rounds he sees, almost on par with the .40S&W.

#18 ·
357 Sig

Tom357 said:
As the only person, here, who actually shoots it (or is willing to admit to it, anyway), I have to disagree on a couple of points.
.357 SIG isn't noticeably louder than 9mm +P+ or .40S&W +P defensive loads. It is noticeably louder than a 9mm standard load, and somewhat louder than a .40S&W standard load. Just my opinion.
O-M-G. I have to stridently disagree here and so would nearly all of my IDPA club. When we're shooting a course of fire, even with muffs (electronic or standard) everybody JUMPS the first time a member (one of the few to use the 357sig) sends a round downrange! It usually goes like this: "CRACK!!! Criminey what the EFF was THAT? Oh sheeeesh it's JOE with that BLANKETY BLANK SIG!"

#20 ·
ExSoldier762 said:
O-M-G. I have to stridently disagree here and so would nearly all of my IDPA club. When we're shooting a course of fire, even with muffs (electronic or standard) everybody JUMPS the first time a member (one of the few to use the 357sig) sends a round downrange! It usually goes like this: "CRACK!!! Criminey what the EFF was THAT? Oh sheeeesh it's JOE with that BLANKETY BLANK SIG!"
Strident disagreement noted. (smile) But are you guys shooting +P+ defensive loads or standard pressure FMJ? A .357 SIG standard load is pushing a 125gr FMJ about 100-250fps faster than a +P+ 9mm load. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I maintain that it is about on par with other loads pushing similarly sized bullets out of similarly sized barrels at similar speeds. People take notice when someone at the outdoor range is shooting 9mm Gold Dots or Ranger loads, too.

I realize it is a magical round, and that the mere presence of one makes perps fall over in a deep swoon, but the fact remains that it is a necked down .40 case with enough powder to push a .355 bullet down a 4.5" barrel, at 1450 fps, with a chamber pressure of about 37-40k. It can't be that much louder than a similarly powered 9mm or .40.

BTW, I shot my first sub-second pair, yesterday, and managed to keep the second shot within 2" of the first! I was pleased. The world was amazed. The perps were trembling. Everybody said, "Ooo, it's Tom with that beautiful SIG!"

#21 ·
L-o-u-d!!!

Tom357 said:
Strident disagreement noted. (smile) But are you guys shooting +P+ defensive loads or standard pressure FMJ? A .357 SIG standard load is pushing a 125gr FMJ about 100-250fps faster than a +P+ 9mm load. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I maintain that it is about on par with other loads pushing similarly sized bullets out of similarly sized barrels at similar speeds. People take notice when someone at the outdoor range is shooting 9mm Gold Dots or Ranger loads, too.
I don't actually know what the Sig guys shoot, but my guess is that unless they're (to use a Gumpism) GO-zillion-aires they're using low powered or reloaded ammo, because +P combat ammo is EXPENSIVE especially for the 357 Sig. But, I dunno. I just know that me and most of the other IDPA shooters in our club can clearly identify when somebody is lighting off a 357 Sig even among SEVEN active stages being run simultaneously! Most of those stages have shooters using either .40 or .45 and STILL the 357 Sig stands out clearly.

#23 ·
Euclidean said:
I'm just sad I'm all alone with the 38 Special.

I feel inspired to pen a children's story.

"The Little Gold Dots Who Could"

Subtitle:

"Expand out of a Really Short Barrel"

:biggrin:
Besides carrying my E-9 I also carry a Model 60 S&W loaded with Speer 135 +P GoldDots and carried in an ankle rig. I use this set up when I am doing alot of driving.

#25 ·
ExSoldier762 said:
I don't actually know what the Sig guys shoot, but my guess is that unless they're (to use a Gumpism) GO-zillion-aires they're using low powered or reloaded ammo, because +P combat ammo is EXPENSIVE especially for the 357 Sig. But, I dunno. I just know that me and most of the other IDPA shooters in our club can clearly identify when somebody is lighting off a 357 Sig even among SEVEN active stages being run simultaneously! Most of those stages have shooters using either .40 or .45 and STILL the 357 Sig stands out clearly.
OK. We're getting somewhere. I have absolutely no doubt that a .357 SIG standard load FMJ is significantly louder than a standard load or low-powered 9mm, or even standard load .40 and .45. What I said was that I thought it was on par with +P+ 9mm and +P .40 and .45. I have noticed that folks who practice with low-powered or standard loads are often startled when they shoot hot defensive loads, because they are much louder, with more flash, and sharper felt recoil. The standard loads in .357 SIG are frequently equivalent to the hot loads in other calibers. If you put my 125gr standard load .357 SIG up against a 124gr +P+ 9mm, my bullet is going to be 100-250fps faster, and the boom might be slightly louder, but only slightly.

My target loads are 125gr standard pressure .357 SIG FMJ rated at 1350-1450fps, depending on the brand. My defensive loads are 125gr standard pressure .357 SIG JHP rated at 1450fps. I have never seen +P loads for .357 SIG, though I expect they exist. My defensive loads are not particularly hotter than my practice loads. They sound the same and behave the same, and the pistol was designed to eat those loads all day every day without excessive wear and tear. I like that consistency. My practice loads cost me $8.50 per 50. I'm not rich.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.