Federal Personal Defense Loads?

This is a discussion on Federal Personal Defense Loads? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone seen any thorough ballistic testing done on the Federal Personal Defense Low Recoil .45ACP 165gr. Hydra-Shok? I'm considering carrying this in my new ...

Thread: Federal Personal Defense Loads?

Has anyone seen any thorough ballistic testing done on the Federal Personal Defense Low Recoil .45ACP 165gr. Hydra-Shok?

I'm considering carrying this in my new SA Micro. My thinking is that the lighter bullet would improve muzzle velocity in the 3-inch barrel. The box says 1060fps at the muzzle, but I'm sure they were using a 5-inch test barrel, so I'm thinking we're probably looking in the 850-900 fps range. I don't have a chrony, so that's a WAG.

I bought a couple of boxes to see how they do on the range, but I'm curious how the terminal ballistics perform.
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

Haven't seen any for the .45, but the 9mm stuff performs poorly out of short barrels. While I can see the benefit of light recoil and low muzzle flash, in my case it came at the expense of both penetration and expansion. I assume that any caliber of this stuff is going to perform poorly against the other premium ammos. Of course, we know what they say about assuming...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Sportsmanguide is advertising some Federal Premium rounds with Barnes bullets. Anybody have a opportunity to see or test these ?

John!

The top Federal loads are HST and Tactical Bonded.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    If your micro has an alloy frame, you might want to reconsider your choice - maybe find something that has a rounder nose, like a Hornady XTP bullet, or a Speer Gold Dot. Those wide mouth hydra-shoks might not be so nice to your feed ramp if it's aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    If your micro has an alloy frame, you might want to reconsider your choice - maybe find something that has a rounder nose, like a Hornady XTP bullet, or a Speer Gold Dot. Those wide mouth hydra-shoks might not be so nice to your feed ramp if it's aluminum.
    Interesting point. I didn't think of that. Will definitely consider the Gold Dots. I did shoot a couple of mags through it, and the first round was a FTF, but after that it functioned fine. I chalked it up to needing some break-in.

I'd love to see The Box O Truth do a test on them.
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

I'm not sure on the terminal ballistics but in my Micro I use HST's and Ranger T's both in non+P version and on 1/4 inch aluminum plates @ 15 yds they leave big ugly holes and all function extremely well.Yes I also have the Lt.Wgt. aluminum frame and have found no wear yet.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Don't know about the current generation, but when they first came out I shot a box and they were much louder than normal ammo

DRT
    Forget the Gold Dot..... HST and Ranger T are better.

Lead Moderator
    Not sure of your SA , but my Champ has the feed ramp built into the barrel. I have one small rub spot below the feed ramp(from ammo feeding) on the Alum frame, but it functions just fine with Fed. hydrashocks.
    Best bet is try em out, see how your gun likes em. Also shoot some 1 gal. water jugs. It isn't scientific, but might be useful to gauge penetration compared to other brands.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by DRT View Post
    Forget the Gold Dot..... HST and Ranger T are better.
    Absolutely not!! The HSTs and Gold Dots are almost similar, they are made by the same company! www.le.atk.com See for yourself!

Lead Moderator
    Range report on Hydrashock .45 ACP , 165 grn personal defense load.
    I filled 2 1 ltr. pop bottles with water, and shot from approx. 10 yards. While this is far form a scientific test, it demostrated the bullet has enough energy to
    1. violently burst the first bottle
    2. penetrate thru 2 bottles filled with water
    3. expand nicely
    I will have to get out more bottles of water next , to find out how many it takes to capture the bullet. The first bottle blew dramatically apart , with water flying everywhere.
    I found the jacket , but not the bullet , behind the second bottle. I noticed little recoil difference between the fed hydra shocks and FMJ ammo.
    Gun used was a SA Champ 4" barrel.
    (note , this does not prove anything, but was fun to do)
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'm being pulled every which way with everything I have been reading here and all of the variables there are when it comes to choosing the proper rounds to lay your life on. I carry traditional 9mm 124 gr Hydrashoks right now, but feel I need to update quick! +P or not? Is +P going to produce TOO MUCH penetration at close range and kill Molly May in the playground behind the BG? With 9mm being a smaller round in the first place, does one go for smoking fast with a 100 gr or normal with 147 gr? With many manufacturers making top performing rounds, what direction does one go in confidence? I carry Springfield xD 9mm's, both the 3 and 4 inch models. Different rounds for the bigger and smaller versions? Seems there are many ways to get the job done, but like all of you, I want what is going to save my family's and my own life the best... God bless you all!
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Sponsored Links