Calling CSI-Experts - Page 2

Calling CSI-Experts

This is a discussion on Calling CSI-Experts within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a lot of people checking this out so I'm going to take my time before I tell you what it was. I'll work ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling CSI-Experts

I have a lot of people checking this out so I'm going to take my time before I tell you what it was.

I'll work on some more close up pictures in the next couple days.

My vote at this time is three shotgun blasts. Not necessarily the same load. The top grouping looks like a magnum load, I think Remington makes a 15 pellet "00" load. Middle looks like it could be a 9 pellet load, and the bottom load got split. I see what looks like one pellet that deformed the rim and another 3-5 pellets just inside the orange box. Either that or someone with a .22 was trying to zero a scope and walked their groups in and the shot to the rim was the bullseye.

VIP Member
    buck shot and by a lousy shooter. He was aiming at the rim from below and to the right of the board. His aim was high and that is why there is only one impact visible on the rim itself. He probably used a pump.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator

OK I'll bite & go way out on a limb.

My guess would be some goofball zeroing a .22 caliber semi-automatic scoped rifle fired from some distance away.
    Just my best forensic guess.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

A friend posted some ballistics tests on metal with a pellet gun on the same thread over at TRP so check them out http://www.therallypoint.org/forum/i...p?topic=1466.0

Anymore questions?

I'll give the answer on Wed if nobody guesses it by then.

00 Buck

A really hard hail storm? What a minute, you're in PA .... where was Chris on the night in question? TALK SANDAL BOY!!!
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'll give one more guess - a compressed air or butane "potato gun" type device, with a PVC pipe barrel and a handful of marbles or gravel from the park.

Don't think so...

Quote Originally Posted by max7777 View Post
    00 Buck
    Well my apologies you were dead on correct!
    Last edited by ExSoldier; July 3rd, 2007 at 06:53 PM.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Soooooo I'm guessing....I guessed wrong?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

.22... not that I would have experience with such perfidy...

Ok, since the experts have voiced their opinions, I'll answer half of this today.

There are 3 shotgun blasts from buckshot on that backboard. One has an almost perfect 9 shot group and then 2 other blasts are near the top. It looks like these were the 2nd and 3rd shots, and whomever fired these shots, was moving backwards because the groups are spread out and one of them barely hit the backboard.

I talked to the person that reported this so I know exactly what caused these and I was amazed that buckshot didn't penetrate one of these. I thought it was a pellet gun at first until I brought the pictures home and noticed the 9 shot groups.

I guess them city birds take heavier shot than the country ones? Were they trying to shoot down a PD chopper, tracking up and over?!?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    Ok, since the experts have voiced their opinions, I'll answer half of this today.

There are 3 shotgun blasts from buckshot on that backboard. One has an almost perfect 9 shot group and then 2 other blasts are near the top. It looks like these were the 2nd and 3rd shots, and whomever fired these shots, was moving backwards because the groups are spread out and one of them barely hit the backboard.

I talked to the person that reported this so I know exactly what caused these and I was amazed that buckshot didn't penetrate one of these. I thought it was a pellet gun at first until I brought the pictures home and noticed the 9 shot groups.
    Not that I doubt anybody but did the person reporting the incident actually WITNESS said incident? Or is this an assumption based on first discovery? I'd also like to know the thickness and material of the backboard as well as how old it is.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I'd also like to know the thickness and material of the backboard as well as how old it is.
    It's definitely steel. The only other option is aluminum, but you wouldn't get iron oxide on the exposed metal if it were. I'd venture that it would be at least 18ga stamped sheet, possibly 14ga.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links