Snubby Ballistics

This is a discussion on Snubby Ballistics within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good read, passing it on... Snubby Ballistics...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snubby Ballistics

Snubby Ballistics

Good read, passing it on...

Snubby Ballistics
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Thanks for posting!

Good read - but I happen to disagree with it's basic premise. I've got thousands of customers who carry 5" 1911's, Commanders, XD's and Glocks on a daily basis. I do not for a minute believe that it is necessary to go to a snubby to attain proper, practical & comfortable concealment.

Having said that, some people just plain like snubbies, and that's OK too. We all have to choose the equipment that is right for us as individuals - and if that's a snub - so be it. That being the case, it was a good read.

He did not mention the venerable old lead semi-wadcutter hollow point for the .38 snubbies, however. It remains one of the most reliable "stoppers" in that caliber/barrel length.

Assistant Administrator
    the venerable old lead semi-wadcutter hollow point for the .38 snubbies
    Stephen Camp is a fan of that round - anyone wanting some great write-ups and info check out http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Stephen Camp is a fan of that round - anyone wanting some great write-ups and info check out http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/
    I load +P 158gr LSWCHP ammo in my non +P rated 442, but it's the best thing going for the 38spl snubbie. Sure she kicks like a mule, but ya just train with it and expect the blast & recoil.

I use the 135gr Golddots in my snubby because they were designed for snubbies and I like GD's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Good read - but I happen to disagree with it's basic premise. I've got thousands of customers who carry 5" 1911's, Commanders, XD's and Glocks on a daily basis. I do not for a minute believe that it is necessary to go to a snubby to attain proper, practical & comfortable concealment.
    +1!

I carry a Glock 21 sixteen hours a day, every day. I just don't understand people who seem to think it's impossible to carry a fullsize autoloader. It's quite doable with the right belt, holster, and cover garment.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    +1!

I carry a Glock 21 sixteen hours a day, every day. I just don't understand people who seem to think it's impossible to carry a fullsize autoloader. It's quite doable with the right belt, holster, and cover garment.
    You have to have the ability and desire to dress around your weapon if you carry a fullsize autoloader. I have an XD9 but with the clothes that I wear during the summer I will carry my snubbie more frequently. I can toss it in my pocket and go. To each his own. The argument for a snubbie is a good one though imo. The average joe doesn't need 15+ rounds and a fullsize gun. You can't honestly argue that a small jframe snubbie isn't more concealable than a fullsize autoloader.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    The average joe doesn't need 15+ rounds and a fullsize gun. You can't honestly argue that a small jframe snubbie isn't more concealable than a fullsize autoloader.
    The "average joe" doesn't need a gun at all unless he gets in a gunfight. In a gunfight, he needs all the gun he can get. It's not a matter of what's more concealable, it's a matter of what gun will do the best job of keeping me alive. I carry the G21 because it's the pistol I want to be using if I end up in a gunfight.

The "average joe" doesn't need a gun at all unless he gets in a gunfight. In a gunfight, he needs all the gun he can get. It's not a matter of what's more concealable, it's a matter of what gun will do the best job of keeping me alive. I carry the G21 because it's the pistol I want to be using if I end up in a gunfight.
    +1!

All good points. The "what to carry argument" will always be open to debate. IMO carry what works for your individual needs, just carry something which is better than nothing.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Interesting stuff. Here's something else of interest:

http://stevespages.com/page8f38special.html

I carry G-23 and XD9sc for BUG! one or two full reloads for each!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

A bunch of years back Gun tests did a test on 38+P loads. Corbon made a 125gn. that did over 1100fps. from a 2" gun. They picked this round as a favorite. I bought a bunch of boxs. This is the round I carry in my 38 snubs today. They no longer make this but I have plenty to keep loaded up for a while.

I can't think of anyone that would seriously argue that they would rather have 5 rounds of 38 sp. instead of 8 rounds of .45 ACP (all other things being equal, of course) if they knew they were going to be a gunfight. I think the discussion would likely center around other factors. For example, there could conceivably be times where it simply isn't practical to carry a G21 (even if that's your normal EDC). If those limited instances it might be prudent to remain armed, but armed with a S&W 642/638/442/etc. instead for greater concealability and lighter weight. If that's that case, I think it's a darn good idea to give some serious thought to what's going to be in that J-frame if you do have to push the bang button.

Personally I prefer to have my G19 on me all the time (16 rounds of JHP Speer Gold Dot tend to be comforting to me). However, there are times when it just makes more sense to "downgrade" to a 642, but retain the ability to defend myself. I guess I'm just talking about trade-offs. Just my .02.

cw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links