My SA XD brothers and Sisters...

This is a discussion on My SA XD brothers and Sisters... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been throwing around a few variables in my head regarding my round choices for my 3 inch XD9 and 4 inch XD9. I've decided ...

Thread: My SA XD brothers and Sisters...

My SA XD brothers and Sisters...

I've been throwing around a few variables in my head regarding my round choices for my 3 inch XD9 and 4 inch XD9. I've decided a Federal HST 147 gr JHP for my 4inch service, but am hesitant in putting it into a smaller barrel. The data from testing is done with 4 inch barrels. Am I robbing my punch in my 3inch due to a shorter barrel? I'm only concerned with 10 yards distance, but I can't help but think my velocity might fall off enough to create unwanted results. Do we sub-compact users pack normal or +P rounds to compensate? Also, how have your guyses XD's been behaving with your own choices in rounds? any bad feeders been noticed yet? Thank you for your time and God bless you folks...
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

2. Remove Ads

Chad,

I use 115 gr FMJ for practice and 124 gr Gold Dots for carry load in my XD9S with no problems what so ever. 750+ rds so far and no hiccups.

Eric
    Last edited by ncffp163; July 6th, 2007 at 04:29 AM.
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

In my XD9sc I use with no malfunctions of over 500 rounds:

Speer Gold Dot (Short Barrel) +P 124 gr. JHP

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...634&t=11082005

or

Hornady TAP FPD Personal Defense 124 gr. JHP

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...058&t=11082005

Both are proven rounds in actual shootings
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Hornady TAP FTW...

Awesome! Thanx for the feedback fellas. Seems like the 124 gr Gold Dot and Hornaday is a popular round among certain XD carriers. Why this choice over a 147 gr? God bless... :)
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Any1 ever fired MagSafe rounds thru their XD?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddae52 View Post
    Anyone ever fired MagSafe rounds thru their XD?
    Hmm, you are referring to ammo that costs $20 for 8 rounds, I shoot over 100 rounds of any HP before I know it is a reliable SD choice, at those prices I could buy a lot of Hornady TAP...

Very true Pete. But do you think the "magnum" performance coupled with the “safe” characteristics of the rounds is a worthy trade off no matter what the price? I'm tempted to play around with them and am considering forking out the doe to load my mags. They are smoking quick out of the barrel and are designed to prevent over penetration. 10-13 inches and all the energy is dumped, not to mention the lead shot that cones out after impact. They have also done animal testing on goats. They outperformed almost every other brand when it came to death in seconds. What do you think, price aside? I appreciate your input :) God Bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddae52 View Post
    What do you think, price aside? I appreciate your input.
    I still think buy 100 rounds of TAP, shoot it and grin.

It works, those 'anti-terrorist' rounds that are out there at boutique prices will likely disappear in a few years.

When I carry my XD in 9MM config I use Federal HST's 147 gr. you already have that round so check it out from the SC I think you'll find it's just right. My.02 worth
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

VIP Member
    Whatever premium rnd that works in you gun is good.

I wouldn't refuse to carry 124's in my SC, but I have more confidence in 147gr (Talking Speer Gold Dots) because of the only study I've ever seen of performance out of short barrels. Their data supported the most consistent expansion from 147s. Especially after 4 layers of denim the 124s were not expanding and overpenetrating. I doubt this factor would be barrell lenght dependant. I personally don't bother with +p. I might try it sometime, but I'm concerned about follow up shot quickness and perhaps a more blinding flash from +p.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

LBrombach...

Can you post the study you read... or steer me in the right direction in finding it?

Trust me, I am always looking for studies and reviews of real cases when selecting ammo.

I was under the impression the 124's in +P do have good expansion and work in cases I've read from Ayoob and Evan Marshall. Supposed to have good record in real incidents. (although not a perfect round, I understand that... I mean, what round is?)

I'm always interested in finding what works best, most often!

Thanks
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    LBrombach...

Can you post the study you read... or steer me in the right direction in finding it?

Trust me, I am always looking for studies and reviews of real cases when selecting ammo.

I was under the impression the 124's in +P do have good expansion and work in cases I've read from Ayoob and Evan Marshall. Supposed to have good record in real incidents. (although not a perfect round, I understand that... I mean, what round is?)

I'm always interested in finding what works best, most often!

Thanks
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs9.htm

There is good stuff in here about several Calibers, here is a couple quotes: The numbers are near the bottom of the linked page. Notice that pentration increases after going through 4 layers of denim, while expansion goes down. Perhaps the difference doesn't matter a lot, but I like that the 147gr Gold dots has a smaller change than the 124 gr. Theoretically meaning I can expect similar results whether the BG is wearing a tshirt or a 4 layer denim jacket. We have weather that changes quick here, and I'd rather not bother swapping types of roud out as theweather changes. Not saying It's definetely the right way to go, just explaining the method to my madness.

9mm compact handguns
    The 147 grain Gold Dot demonstrated very good expansion, and we were impressed with its expanded diameter after passing though four layers of 16 ounce denim. We suspect the reason why the 147 grain Gold Dot expanded so well after penetrating the denim cloth is because it has a deeper hollow cavity than the 124 grain +P bullet.
    We also tested Federalís new 9mm 135 grain Personal Defense HydraShok JHP cartridge. In bare gelatin this bullet demonstrated inadequate penetration performance when fired out of a compact handgun. In denim covered gelatin we obtained one good hit out of three test shots, and this doesnít provide enough data for a valid determination of its performance. But given its inadequate performance in bare gelatin, we decided against any further testing.

Weíve contacted Federal several times in attempt to obtain gelatin performance data for their Personal Defense line of ammunition (both handgun and shotgun). Federal has stonewalled us during our attempts to obtain this information via telephone request, and they have not responded to our written requests. As a result, we advise you to steer clear of Federalís Personal Defense ammunition until there is valid performance data from a reputable source.

Based on another study, http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf, It appears 12 inches is a minimum acceptable penetration.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

My XDs eat EVERYTHING. I've never had a failure with any of them.

Links