Keeping track of "times loaded"

This is a discussion on Keeping track of "times loaded" within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Reloaders, What do you guys do to keep track of the number of times you have loaded your bulk handgun ammo, the ones you ...

Thread: Keeping track of "times loaded"

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Keeping track of "times loaded"

Hey Reloaders,

What do you guys do to keep track of the number of times you have loaded your bulk handgun ammo, the ones you shoot regularly. It's a lot easier to keep track of your Rifle rounds.

How does this sound, a new set of shell holders that would put a "just big enough to be seen" dimple in the upper angle side of the extraction groove. That's still a thicker part of the casing, doesn't interact with the weapon, or it's workings, and then you could while sorting keep count of haw many times it's been loaded.

you would obviously do it during the same step every time to prevent multiple markings, but since they tend to get intermixed with older / newer brass during the stages of prep, you would not have to work so hard keeping up with it. Then also if you find a certain head stamp has a particular lifespan, you could weed them out as you go also.

Or do you even worry with it, and just inspect them while prepping them?
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    I think you're over-thinking the problem.

Just keep your empty brass sorted in like batches (once fired, twice fired, etc.) and make sure to label the boxes containing your reloads.

Take only one batch of reloads to any given range session, that is, don't mix reloads in once fired brass with reloads in twice fired brass at the same range session. That way, you'll know they're all the same when you police them up afterwards.

Am I making any sense?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I think you're over-thinking the problem.

Am I making any sense?

That makes sense, and It is what I try to do, but shooting in the woods, I tend to not find all the rounds the same time I shoot them, and I'm loading a lot, especially with a three day class coming up.

Edit to add: I like that new avatar Cap'n
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

Assistant Administrator
    Mike - I tend to keep a batch together with empties if possible but - with everyday reloads like .38 and .45's etc ... I go most by case condition ... eyeball each one before reloading. It is easy to see the ones that are getting rather ''tired.

Best way otherwise tho - I suggest you use one of those ''center punch'' deals which are spring loaded .... and pop a center mark on the headstamp area each time you reload the case. The indent will still survive even with the set-back effect on firing ... and so it is quick to see on any case how many times it has been cycled.

You can ''fit'' a good many small center-pops on one case.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Best way otherwise tho - I suggest you use one of those ''center punch'' deals which are spring loaded ....

Chris,

That sounds about what I was thinking, any mfg's come to mind, or where you might remember seeing them.

Headstamp side would be better, one glance to count marks.

I wonder if a shell holder, with a small "mound" in the headstamp area would have enough pressure during the resizing stage to leave a mark.

Time to break out the tools. After i have enough loaded for my upcoming class, I might try it and post a report if it works.

Assistant Administrator
    Mfr? - well my old one is ex Brit - made by ''Eclipse'' but I suspect you'll find something from Harbor Freight - or maybe Northern Tool.

Don't think it's worth trying to tweak a shell holder - they are darned hard anyways. Headstamp side would tend to maybe rub off a small indent, even thru reloading - but I guess another option could be a small ''nick'' on the circumference with a mini hacksaw - or needle file. Just enough to see.

One of these options should be easy to do and certainly a way to keep count.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links