Which .38spl Load Would You Use?

This is a discussion on Which .38spl Load Would You Use? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I have ready access to two defensive loadings in .38spl for my snubby: Smith and Wesson LSWCHP 158gr+P and Magtech 125gr +P HP. I've ...

View Poll Results: Which Ammo Would You Trust Your Life To From a 2" Barrel?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Older 158gr +P LSWCHP S&W

37 69.81%
  • Newer 125gr +P Magtech

16 30.19%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which .38spl Load Would You Use?

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Hello,

I have ready access to two defensive loadings in .38spl for my snubby: Smith and Wesson LSWCHP 158gr+P and Magtech 125gr +P HP.

I've been advised on other boards against using the S&W stuff because "it's old." However, Nyclad is getting up there in years and it's still used when it can be found.

The S&W have been stored properly and the rounds look factory-new, no corrosion.

The Magtech does perform, at least on milk jugs. I've not tested the S&W though I plan to do so.

The argument has also been made that I should save the S&W for a collection. Well, I really don't collect ammo. If I should decide to do so, I have access to about 15 more 50 round boxes in better shape than the one I grabbed.

On top of everything else, I flat like the profile and, until I order some Buffalo Bore (waiting to see street results; Mr. H's tests were not encouraging), I'd really like to carry some 158gr +P LSWCHP.

I was told in an earlier thread on another board that this ammo was made for S&W by Fiocchi.

I am currently carrying the 125gr +P Magtech because it's newer, but I'd like opinions. I just can't imagine age alone having much effect on modern ammo.

Thanks,

Josh <><

Senior Moderator
    I would use the S&W first and after it has been shot up I would use magtech. I carry GoldDot SB 125gr+p in my snubbie.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I asked the guru - Evan Marshall. His data pointed to the older 158 +P LWSCHP as the best overall SD round in a 38Spl. My 10-8 will print a 3 inch group double action at 25 yards with this stuff. Works for me!

Dadgum stuff is expensive, looking for a 358 158 LSWCHPmold for practice loads.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

VIP Member
    Another vote for the 158-grain load.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The Magtech would not be my first choice , but imho would be better than the old fbi load cited ... With it your well into standard 9mm ballistics out of a short tube .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Hello and thanks.

I'm going with these two choices because, though I'm not wanting to turn things political here, I am not shipping ammo due to a personal boycott of the high HAZMAT prices which have been forced upon us. Before that I shipped in carry ammo on an annual basis. 'Nuff said about that whole thing there.

Thanks again,

Josh <><

158 grain +P is carried in my .38 Special revolvers.

I'd be like you. I'd shoot that box of S&W ammo. I'd be willing to test fire a couple of cylinders-full and use the rest for carry for the next few years.

I'm not interested in the expansion characteristics as long as it cuts a nice deep hole.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; July 10th, 2007 at 10:45 PM.

VIP Member
    I picked the magtec because I have leading issues in the cylinder.

S&W load

I have tested a 158gr LSWCHP+P load from S&W in wet newspaper. It was slightly different looking that yours, the tip had a more rounded profile. It did not expand one bit, even from a 4" gun that did fine with the same (new) load from Winchester. It seems the alloy was harder than the more modern stuff. Could barely scratch it with a fingernail. To be safe, I'd test it first if you want a good expanding load. I carry the 158gr Nyclads in .38s that I carry +P in. If it's stored right, it should be fine.

Speer Gold Dot 135g JHP +P ??

+1 on the Speer gold dot
    Evil does not have to come as a Tidal Wave...Even ripples in a lake with time can bring down a Sea Wall...Let's be a WALL...

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    Hello and thanks.

I'm going with these two choices because, though I'm not wanting to turn things political here, I am not shipping ammo due to a personal boycott of the high HAZMAT prices which have been forced upon us. Before that I shipped in carry ammo on an annual basis. 'Nuff said about that whole thing there.

Thanks again,

Josh <><
    I will indeed get better ammo when I have more choices locally. Meantime, my views expressed in the above stand.

Thank you all again.

Josh <><

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    Speer Gold Dot 135g JHP +P ??
    That's what I use. It was designed for the NYPD.

I would like to see more tests using those magtechs. In the ones I've seen they have not expanded. They are made to be like the DPX/Taurus ammo with the barnes bullet. The DPX expands nicely, i would like to see the differences in how they are made.

My choices would be DPX or Gold Dot short barrel

In the LSWCHP rounds there was something online showing that some used harder lead than others. I think the remingtons expanded more b/c of softer lead.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    I think the remingtons expanded more b/c of softer lead.
    I also saw that report, and concur on the Remington expansion. I carry the Remingtons in my SF-VI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links