Defensive Carry banner

Winchester Ranger for Glock 23 - prices, effectiveness, lifetime

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JACKEDCO 
#1 ·
I've been shooting Gold Dot Hollow Points in 180 grain because I could purchase a box of 50 for about $16 at a dealer about three hours away. Now that it appears this dealer has run out of the GDHPs, I've found another source for Winchester Ranger Tactical loads in 155 grain for about the same price. I purchased one box and burned through four mags about as fast as I could pull the trigger ... so I'm satisfied the gun will cycle them.

Here's the question: Should I load up with this ammo at the $16/50 price and how long can I rely on these storing in a fairly dark, dry environment? Any downside to this choice of Self Defense ammo at all?

My practice ammo is 165 grain so I'm assuming the point of impact won't move much (if at all) and I will be competing in IDPA and IPSC meets this year shooting the 165 ball ammo.

Thanks for the input.

#4 ·
Question: Is the Winchester ammo 155 grain, or 165? I ask because there isn't a 155 grain Ranger load with the "T" bullet (the reverse-tapered jacket that produces the "claws" or "talons" on expansion).

I've heard of some people purchasing 155 grain loads, thinking they were the RA40TA 165 grain Ranger load, only to discover they weren't.

Can you post a photo of the box end and of one of the bullets?

As to shelf life, don't worry about it.

#5 ·
I was just thinking the same thing. The 155gr. are just regular hollow points. They are for departments on a budget.

the real Ranger T are either RA40T or RA40TA. the T is the 180 gr. while the TA are the 165gr.

#6 ·
I ran through the entire box with about four magazines and threw it away, so I can't refer to the printing on the box. I'm fairly certain it was 155 grain because I recall thinking the point of impact can't be far removed from my 165 gr. WWB practice and competition ammo. Is the performance of this ammo demonstrably worse than the Range T or TA ammo? In a self defense situation would I be better off with the 180 grain GDHP? At what point are we really picking nits here? As long as it cycles and I'm achieving superior muzzle velocities (I'm guessing around 1200 fps), does it make THAT much difference?

Thanks again for input. Unless I get something really negative, I'm tempted to load up with about five years' worth of ammo, figuring on turning over the SD ammunition of four mag's worth every year or so.

#8 ·
At what point are we really picking nits here? As long as it cycles and I'm achieving superior muzzle velocities (I'm guessing around 1200 fps), does it make THAT much difference?

I think you'll be fine with your choices! I understand your concern if buying a 5 year supply but nothing wrong with Ranger.

Would probably get a one shot stop... but hey, don't we keep shooting if we don't?

Btw... I get extremely anal in searching for the right gun, holster, ammo and anything I'm betting my life on. So no worries dude! And no hassles from me.

#9 ·
I use the Ranger T 180 grain and 165 grain in all my 40's including the Glock 23. I really like the Raner SXTs. I think the pre SXTs were marked for LEO only and the SXTs are marked LEO.

I even bought the Ranger SXTs for my 9's.

Here's a link w/ their performance. The SXT is the "T" series.
https://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/pdf/LEPDF/2006 Poster_Front.pdf

You can always do a google advanced search and search glocktalk for ranger sxt (180 or 165)
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=r...arch=www.glocktalk.com&as_rights=&safe=images

and peruse the info. there.

Have fun. I think any quality hollowpoint (Ranger SXT, Speer Gold Dot, etc. ...) will perform adequately.

let us know your decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.