Magtech 380 +P ammo?

Magtech 380 +P ammo?

This is a discussion on Magtech 380 +P ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While browsing the Graf & Sons catalog today I noticed that Magtech lists an 85gr JHP in "380 +P" load. Anyone familiar with this load? ...

Thread: Magtech 380 +P ammo?

Magtech 380 +P ammo?

While browsing the Graf & Sons catalog today I noticed that Magtech lists an 85gr JHP in "380 +P" load.
    Anyone familiar with this load? Velocity? Is it a true +P round or is it just loaded a bit hot like Corbon 380 ammo? Thanks.

BTW- this is labled as their "Guardian Gold" ammunition line. When you go to their website
    http://www.magtechammunition.com/sit...search=details

it looks like a standard HP round but with a thin jacket inside the HP cavity. Impressive stats on the website - just wondering how it actually performs - anybody have any expansion tests/info on these?

They also list a 77gr 380 ACP +P round in their "First Defense" line; this one's an all copper bullet like a Barnes "X" bullet. Looks like a copy of a Corbon DPX but a tad lighter.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I really don't think I'd trust it. I only got partial expansion out of a 125gr going about 900fps from a .38spl snub.

If you want an expander in .380 (I carry solids with a flat point), I'd find some 102gr Golden Saber loads. The weight will help with the penetration that the .380acp sorely needs.

Josh <><

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    I really don't think I'd trust it. I only got partial expansion out of a 125gr going about 900fps from a .38spl snub.

If you want an expander in .380 (I carry solids with a flat point), I'd find some 102gr Golden Saber loads. The weight will help with the penetration that the .380acp sorely needs.

Josh <><
    I guess I don't understand this logic - if the 380 needs higher velocity to expand reliably, then why would you go to a heavier round in it that is at normal velocity (the 102 Remy GS's aren't +P)?

I'm coming to the conclusion that the best solution for the 380 (other than moving to a more powerful caliber) is a standard weight HP at higher velocity - the Corbon HP is one example, this Magtech another if it is a good HP,, or the Corbon DPX which is a bit lighter but has a deeper penetrating HP design....

There is no such thing as +P in .380 last I looked at SAAMI specs.

A 90 grain Gold Dot will expand just fine out of most .380acp chambered pistols. What it will not do is penetrate to a depth I'm comfortable with.

I therefore go with flat points in the 90gr range.

However, you're wanting an expander. I would therefore advise you to go with something heavier because once it expands it will be acting as a parachute. The Golden Saber load probably has the best chance of both expanding and penetrating to a decent depth.

If you have a choice between depth and width, it's usually a good idea to go with optimum depth first and look at what you can then get expansion-wise at that depth.

Just my take.

Josh <><

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    There is no such thing as +P in .380 last I looked at SAAMI specs.

Josh <><
    Very true... but some loads are hotter than other and are the "+P" versions of 380 - the Corbon ammo comes close as does this Magtech ammo, velocity wise (they even label it as +P on their website).

What I'd love to see is a 95-100 grain version of the DPX loaded up to 1100 FPS... I think that would be the cat's meow in 380.

That would likely be pushing the envelope a bit. You might take a look at the 9x18mak round for this type of performance.

Better yet, they make PPK sized guns in 9mm - I would recommend one of those to anything in .380 if you can afford it and if you're comfortable shooting the 9mm.

The type of performance you're talking about would be a bit unsafe in my estimation.

Josh <><

P.S. Anyone can load anything and call it +P. IIRC Magtec lists their 9mm +P at 1096fps. Corbon's alternative moves at 1350fps or so. It's all in the advertising. People light up when they see +P. Don't fall for it. Actual velocity is what counts. J.S.

JD
    Administrator
    I'd watch shooting the magtech +p .380 rounds, it really depends on what your shooting, I know of one Kel-tec that was blown up using them. If your shooting a beefier gun like the Sig 230/232, Colt Mustang, or any other "heavier" gun, I might give them a try, but I'd probably stick with my 102 Gr Golden Sabers.

***As you were, it's the Mag Safe line that blew up the Kel-Tec P3AT, but I'd still be leary about shooting anyhing labeled +P in a P3AT, they're hard enought to keep in my hand with standard loads.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'd watch shooting the magtech +p .380 rounds, it really depends on what your shooting, I know of one Kel-tec that was blown up using them. If your shooting a beefier gun like the Sig 230/232, Colt Mustang, or any other "heavier" gun, I might give them a try, but I'd probably stick with my 102 Gr Golden Sabers.

***As you were, it's the Mag Safe line that blew up the Kel-Tec P3AT, but I'd still be leary about shooting anyhing labeled +P in a P3AT, they're hard enought to keep in my hand with standard loads.

I have a new Bersa Thunder 380 that I'm trying to pick the best defense load for. I had pretty much settled between the Corbon 90gr HP's or the Corbon 80gr DPX's, but then I saw the Magtech 380 choices - the numbers on their site look impressive, but if they could be dangerous to me or the gun then I wouldn't use them. Plus I have yet to find any report on how they perform.

Magtech and magsafe are two different things. You can not use magsafe in a keltec, there have been some KB's

Magtech copper bullets do not expand very well. In the 380 tests not at all.

I use DPX in both of my 380s. They have outperformed everything in the tests I've seen.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

I think Kel-Tecs are not supposed to have any +P ammo shot in them per the factory specs.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Sponsored Links