Bufflalo Bore and Double Tap?

This is a discussion on Bufflalo Bore and Double Tap? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I have started shooting I have always trusted in name brand "factory" ammunition. Either Speer Gold Dot, Federal, or Cor-Bon. But I have seen ...

Thread: Bufflalo Bore and Double Tap?

Bufflalo Bore and Double Tap?

Since I have started shooting I have always trusted in name brand "factory" ammunition. Either Speer Gold Dot, Federal, or Cor-Bon.

But I have seen these two come up a lot and I have done some searches. But I just thought I would ask the community what they think.

http://www.buffalobore.com/

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php

If you have experience with either of these please let me know your thoughts. Did they perform as advertised? How is the quality control? Any issues from using it? Did you need customer service? If so how was it?

Thanks for any input!
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

2. Remove Ads

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    BB and DT have always chrono'd as advertised for me. I have a friend who had some issues with slower than advertised DT loads last year. He emailed Mike McNett, and the rounds were replaced at no cost to him.
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

I haven't shot the Buffalo Bore, but I have tried the three different weights of Gold Dots that DoubleTap Ammo puts out. They were great quality. Very accurate, consistent and reliable.

Austin

bae
    I've been very very happy with both vendors.

Have used both. Like both.

In 9mm JHP, the DoubleTap cycles extremely well in my pistols, is very consistent in the OAL/seating/crimp. Speer Gold Dot bullets, so I'm not surprised these expand reasonably well, when shot into water jugs, a side of beef (in the field).

In 44mag, the DoubleTap is great. A consistent performer, with similar "quality" indicators (length of case, OAL, tighteness of crimp, position and depth of seating. I have yet to have any DT round fail to fire.

In 44mag, I've also used Buffalo Bore. A stouter load than the DT's, definitely these are for taking down game. Decently made, no failures to fire or cycle in a Marlin 1894 lever rifle. Other than ~100-ish rounds through the Marlin, I have little experience with the BB's.

I would not hesitate to recommend the DoubleTaps, particularly in the 9mm JHP (which is my experience). I value these highly enough to carry them daily.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I shoot DT 200gr Gold Dot in 45cal. I like it better than the Hornady TAP. I also shoot 10mm DT GD with real good results. I've got some 44mag 320gr hard cast BB and they shoot good also, both in a Smith 629 and a Winchester '94. Have yet to try the 9mm DT, but plan on putting in my order soon.
    ...one jagged hole!

I carry DT in my 10mm, on me right now. MIke makes a great product. If you go to www.10mmtalk.com they hadfull information on most rounds offerred in the forums. http://www.10mmtalk.com/index.php?showforum=23

Great customer service and a fine product at a reasonable price. 50 round boxes of SD ammo for $25!!!! He even loads a 380ACP now that I have to try out.

I have the Bufalo Bore .357Mag load in 158gr. Gold Dot. I know it's just a .357, but with this load, I'm completely comfortable using it for deer hunting. It kicks like a mule and has the velocity that .357Mag use to have back in the day.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    I carry DT in my 10mm, on me right now. MIke makes a great product. If you go to www.10mmtalk.com they hadfull information on most rounds offerred in the forums. http://www.10mmtalk.com/index.php?showforum=23

Great customer service and a fine product at a reasonable price. 50 round boxes of SD ammo for $25!!!! He even loads a 380ACP now that I have to try out.
    +1 on the DT loads....
    Ive fired couple thousand of the 10mm in various flavors over the last several years and have been pleased each time....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Used'em both. Good ammo.

But, as advertised, beware: they are loaded H-O-T.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Iv'e yet to use DoubleTap. I'll have to get some

I just tried 6 different loads of Doubletaps 10mm ammo. Very good stuff, high quality. Great customer service too. I'll be buying my .45acp carry ammo from them too now.

Links