Carry 2 types of ammo in same mag? - Page 2

Carry 2 types of ammo in same mag?

This is a discussion on Carry 2 types of ammo in same mag? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If it has to be done in the same mag, get rounds of comparable weight and power so that the POI is the same or ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carry 2 types of ammo in same mag?

If it has to be done in the same mag, get rounds of comparable weight and power so that the POI is the same or as close to it as possible.

Personally, if you want to carry hardball for penetration purporses, I'd recommend doing it in a backup mag. I carry two extra mags and one of them does have hardball in it. Now odds are I'll never use my firearm and even if I do, odds are that I will not fire enough rounds to even justify a reload (except for tactical reasons). However, if it did come to that, I'd rather have a different option for that 3rd mag. Although, in such a situation, it's probably time to be running away and praying.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddae52 View Post
    What do we really think the everyday Joe is going to come across where we need such a tactical advantage? Body armor? I doubt it.
    The same argument could be made against carrying a gun at all. The average citizen is vanishingly unlikely to actually need a firearm to defend their life. However, if one DOES need a firearm for such a purpose you will need it very badly, and it seems prudent to be as well prepared as possible... whatever the individual in question believes that to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    May also give ammunition for a lawyer if you ended up having to use your weapon. As clearly you were looking for trouble for being so prepared with such a huge assortment highly lethal bullets. (sarcasm)
    The same argument could be made for carrying a firearm at all: "He carried a gun every day for 10 years just looking for an excuse to use it."

If you are worried though carry more mags with different rounds...IMO better way to "cover your bases"
    You give the argument above and then suggest this? Different ammunition in the same magazine is lawyer fodder, but multiple magazines are not?

I think carrying different ammo in the same magazine is a bad idea for reliability reasons, FMJ sitting on top of JHP may sit in the magazine and feed differently than JHP on top of JHP, but each person is responsible for their own life... do what works for you.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links