Carry 2 types of ammo in same mag?

This is a discussion on Carry 2 types of ammo in same mag? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I'm fairly new to guns, it occurred to me with all the detailed analysis of one type of bullet maybe having some advantage over ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry 2 types of ammo in same mag?

Question Carry 2 types of ammo in same mag?

Since I'm fairly new to guns, it occurred to me with all the detailed analysis of one type of bullet maybe having some advantage over another type...

Why not carry two kinds of ammo in each magazine?

I am considering Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 124 +P and CorBon DPX 115gr.

Would there be any reason to not load one kind of bullet than another and alternate like that for carry purposes?

I haven't shot the DPX, but would it feel so much different than the 124gr +P GDSB?

Or to go 1 step further alternate loading a 147gr, 124gr and 115gr?

If a person can get reasonable accuracy firing the different cartridges, why not play the odds and the 3 rounds you get off vary in strength weakness so you are covered as much as possible for whatever comes up.

Just curious as to the cons of carrying like I describe above?

Thanks in advance.

Dean

2. Remove Ads

um no find the load you shoot the best and the gun likes and stick with it

POA - POI would be different with the various ammo ..Also under stress the different recoil impulses could cause you problems

Only way i would do it would be a Ball - jhp - ball all loaded to the same range of power..

Assistant Administrator
    Bud has it nailed pretty much.

You would need to be confident in parity of performance re recoil, POI vs POA plus - I do suspect that whatever sequence you loaded, best guessing your needs ...... in extremis I doubt you'd necessarily have the ideal mix. Too late to change.

Best IMO has to be consistency - the round that has a good rep - the gun likes and you shoot well with. Make that combo and you are good to go. Don't introduce any unnecessary variables, ever!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

OK. That makes sense. I'll stick with GD 124gr +P.

I think it would have to be a pretty radical POI difference in ammo to notice anything different from a pistol at combat distance and combat accuracy.

It seems a fruity thing to do, though I've done it when using up last of some JHP and didn't have enough to fill a mag.

Everyone has their own preferences...I pack two types of ammo per mag in my .45. One that has some great knockdown and one that has great penetration...just in case. It has occured to me that even though one round is better for penetration, its still a .45 and would still have some great knockdown...I guess I just like having my bases covered.

What has great penetration in a .45?

What do we really think the everyday Joe is going to come across where we need such a tactical advantage? Body armor? I doubt it. Such heavy clothing NONE of your JHPs perform within 7 to 10 feet? I doubt that too. Have to shoot through brush, cars, walls, etc? If this is the case Joe should be trying to leave (every incident will be different, God willing).

If you were to switch up grains and loads and the first round was the round for the job, now you have to shoot 2 different rounds to get to the next vital one. Too risky IMO.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    May also give ammunition for a lawyer if you ended up having to use your weapon. As clearly you were looking for trouble for being so prepared with such a huge assortment highly lethal bullets. (sarcasm)

POI vs POA of each shot is the main factor though. Under stress anything that gives you better accuracy (without much thought) is probably worth it.

If you are worried though carry more mags with different rounds...IMO better way to "cover your bases"
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

After posting this, and reading responses, and trying to defend myself, I have realized that I was taking an awful approach to this, and I am going to reorganize my mags as soon as this is posted...somebody cover me as I'll be defenseless for the next 45 seconds...

Ammo

I admit I do carry different ammo in my spare magazines than I do in the gun. My Glock 19 and P7M8 have 124gr Hydra Shok in the gun, and 124gr Gold Dot in the spares. For the 1911, Hydra Shok or Gold Saber 230gr in it, 230gr Gold Dot in the spares. I prefer the fast expanding stuff in the gun. I like that it fragments a bit and don't consider a core-jacket separation a failure if it happens. If I'm still shooting after a gun full, I prefer that I get a bullet that can go through light cover (car door, glass, whatever) and hold together in a worst case situation. The point of impact is the same for all the loads and there's no difference in felt recoil.

The only case I can think of where I would mix loads in a gun is the shotgun we keep behind the counter at the gunshop. It's got a slug as the last round behind four OO buck. Allways been that way.

intresting tid-bit

I was listening to a contractor/instructor whom I respect greatly tell a story of his former supervisor advising him that in his sidearm he'd recommend makeing the first five or so rounds heavy JHP's and the final rounds a medium weight FMJ.......the reasoning being the first rounds of a fire fight would be at an open perp. If the threat wasn't stopped within the first few seconds then it would be a firefight with cover being taken.....and FMJ rounds have better penatration, while the first few JHP rounds have the best stopping power.

I kinda gave this guy a funny look and the gentalman telling this story
    said he threw the BS flag on the supervisor.......although it makes sense somewhat........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

In the past, mostly from the lack of knowlage I have carried a mix primarily in revolvers, ie Glasers and JHP or JFP depending on what I thought the need was.

In time and with research I have ended this practice. The
    Box O' Truth was a great in helping decide which loads are best for my needs.

I was at S&W training this past Saturday when while packing up my ears, eyes, and cover to leave a CCW newbie asked this exact same question of a staffer there who unbeknownst to him, but known to me and employees there, is a sherriffs deputy and MA LTC instructor.

His response was to _not to do this_, in MA specifically but might apply to others, because with multiple round types removed from the BG and/or objects that were around him it could and has been in the past interpreted as the shooter having had "premeditation".
    This is as he explained further not a good thing to have applied to one self be you in a criminal or civil law review. He specifically stated in his example to not carry in the same magazine/cylinder FMJ, followed by JHP, followed by Glasers.
    He strongly suggested pick one, train with it, and carry that on the street or as applied to your home.

- Janq carries 185gr. JHP Corbon 'DPX'
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I carry 2 different types in my 340 PD.
    First 2 are Corbon DPX 38+P
    and the last 3 are Corbon DPX 357.
    The DPX recoil isn't bad even in a 12 ounce gun.
    I can get the first 2 off quickly.
    Adrenaline will fire the 3-357's.
    I practice this way at the range.
    This gives me a great combo.

coach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links