.45acp+p - Page 2

.45acp+p

This is a discussion on .45acp+p within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MatoTanika Another advantage to the OC spray is it also works on 2 legged predators. So does the Ruger. But I agree ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .45acp+p

Cool Bear Medicine

Quote Originally Posted by MatoTanika
    Another advantage to the OC spray is it also works on 2 legged predators.
    So does the Ruger. But I agree with you. Once ran into a large bear in the Pacific northwest while I was an infantry officer. The point guy of my patrol SCREAMED past me at a dead run (screaming incoherent curses) in a direction 180 degrees to that of our movement. Then I saw the bruin. It got up on it's hind legs and snarled. So what did my aspiring Rambo's do? Cut loose on full auto. 2 M-60's, and about 14 more M-16's. All loaded with BLANKS. DUH.

I reached into my rucksack and pulled out a CS GAS GRENADE and rolled it gently right between his legs. THe grenade went POOF! and that poor old bear took off! Ran away howling and rubbing his nose with his paw. I tried to tell him that rubbing just made the pain worse but he didn't listen.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I saw the 500SW revolver on shooting usa and man that is a nice nice pistol.but its about $1000,love to try that out.

Administrator

Thumbs up Brian....You Said:

"That 4" 500 S&W has gotta have some serious bite."

Not a worse bite than the bear.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    So does the Ruger. But I agree with you. Once ran into a large bear in the Pacific northwest while I was an infantry officer. The point guy of my patrol SCREAMED past me at a dead run (screaming incoherent curses) in a direction 180 degrees to that of our movement. Then I saw the bruin. It got up on it's hind legs and snarled. So what did my aspiring Rambo's do? Cut loose on full auto. 2 M-60's, and about 14 more M-16's. All loaded with BLANKS. DUH.

I reached into my rucksack and pulled out a CS GAS GRENADE and rolled it gently right between his legs. THe grenade went POOF! and that poor old bear took off! Ran away howling and rubbing his nose with his paw. I tried to tell him that rubbing just made the pain worse but he didn't listen.

Ft. Lewis, Washington?! I didn't know that there were bears over there!!

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by paratroop23 View Post
    Ft. Lewis, Washington?! I didn't know that there were bears over there!!
    It's been awhile since I was at Bragg, but you'll find more bears running around the Rainier Training areas at Fort Lewis than you'll find downtown on Hay Street on a Friday night. Yeah, there were bears when I was there in the early 1980s, although they could all have been "et up" by all those Rangers and SF guys who couldn't find any snakes to eat!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

A .45 will kill a bear, but even with +P or DoubleTap it may not kill the bear before he kills you. A stout rifle or shotgun is much better, but the best problem-solver for bears is pepper spray. And it sure helps to be very noisey in bear country - they would rather avoid you. Suprising a bear at close range is not a good way to get to know Mr. Bear!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

My Black Bear load is a 300 grain SP 44 Mag.

It will do the job, if you do your part. That can be a big IF. I use a 7.5" Barrel, but I wouldn't want anything less than a 4" Barrel. The Bear Spray stuff is good too, it works. The only problem is, sometimes an enraged bear may take a chunk or two out of you before running off.

It's nice to have both options to choose from.

Biker

VIP Member
    Keep your .45, just carry a 12 gauge with slugs too.

Don't normally add my 2 cents, but think this is important.

When it comes to bears, a .45 is not near enough.

.44 Magnum is considered the minimum by anyone who has been around these animals. Nowadays, with the other choices you have in handguns, many go much heavier. Those who are really in harms way will always go shotgun.

While black bears are definately not grizzlies, they are still very, very tough animals.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Quote Originally Posted by stewartjwnls View Post
    Don't normally add my 2 cents, but think this is important.

When it comes to bears, a .45 is not near enough.

.44 Magnum is considered the minimum by anyone who has been around these animals. Nowadays, with the other choices you have in handguns, many go much heavier. Those who are really in harms way will always go shotgun.

While black bears are definately not grizzlies, they are still very, very tough animals.

My roommate in the Corp told me a story about his buddy back home and his buddy's friend went into the wilderness somewhere in Minnesota. The buddy's friend got chased up a tree by a baby Black Bear. While hanging on in the tree he had to hold on with one hand and pull his 357mag smith(2.5" barrel) because the baby bear kept climbing up to him. He emptied all 6 shots in the bear's face and it still kept coming for a couple seconds after. The bear stop climbing, slowly backed itself down the tree and walked a short distance away from the tree then fell over. He said he couldn't believe the bear was still climbing after the first shot and almost "S- in his pants" after 6th shot and it was still climbing!
    I'm city boy, I didn't know anything about wilderness survival till went in the Corp and told me that story.
    NOTHING LESS THAN A 44 was the Moral of that story!
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

It really depends on where I hike. If I'm hiking around the city parks I carry my 1911, being that most Bears are of the human variety. If I am hiking in the mountains I carry at least my 44 Mag Marlin 1894 with sling, loaded with at least 260 grain Semi wad cutters or Hollow point, it is much more accurate then a pistol and holds 10 rounds. I can fire it faster then I can my 44 Mag Super Blackhawk. I also carry my 1911 and extra Mags. Anyone wondering about Bears in Washington state take note, we can get extra tags to get extra bears during hunting season. There are an over abundance of bear. They are occasionally seen in the smaller outlying communities.
    20 years ago when I moved to my farm along the Skykomish river There was fresh Bear and Couger sign in my back pasture.

I recall a black bear being killed by an off duty army officer in a state park with a 1911 .45 and I think he was using military ball ammo. I also personally know of a polar bear in Alaska that broke into a work camp rec room and was chased off with shots of 12 guage 00 buck and died several hundred yards from the camp. The bear mauled a guy in the rec room. Somebody came out of their room with the shotgun in a timely manner. The wardens investigating said the bear was starving and broke in taking the window frame out seeking food and saw the guy in the room as a meal. I used this anecdote to allow our work teams in Alaska to carry guns. The company suits in Massachusetts were bristiling over the fact that they would be carriying at work. Really stupid Gunphobics.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

kpw
    We have lots o' blackies around here. More than ever before. I don't worry about them much and I like seeing them. If I'm in there neck of the woods, I carry OC and whatever I'm packing. I've seen .45 ball rounds not penetrate a railroad tie at 15 yards. Laying in front of it, a bit deformed and still hot. 9mm and .40 fmj did penetrate but not much. I would want something with more penetration if I was arming myself for blackies. A hot .357, hot 10mm would be minimum for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    It's been awhile since I was at Bragg, but you'll find more bears running around the Rainier Training areas at Fort Lewis than you'll find downtown on Hay Street on a Friday night. Yeah, there were bears when I was there in the early 1980s, although they could all have been "et up" by all those Rangers and SF guys who couldn't find any snakes to eat!
    So back when you were there your troops had to make sure that they policed up their MRE guts and pougie bait! Would the bears wander into perimeters? Or would they avoid human contact?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links