Doubletap 9mm+P 147 grain

This is a discussion on Doubletap 9mm+P 147 grain within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been agonizing over the whole ammunition selection thing. After reading everything, I thought "what we really want is a good +P in 147 grain". ...

I've been agonizing over the whole ammunition selection thing. After reading everything, I thought "what we really want is a good +P in 147 grain".

While there has been some discussion about the Doubletap 124 grain +P, I noted that they allow offered a 147 grain.

The low flash thing seems like a good idea too.

All in all, seems like it might be a decent way to go.

-john

(Buffalo Bore offers a +P+ 147 grain, but is slower than the +P DT)

DT +P 147gr, 1135fps / 421ft. lb. [G17 (4.49")]
    DT +P 147gr, 1120fps [G19 (4")]
    DT +P 124gr, 1310fps / 473ft. lb. [G17 (4.49")]
    DT +P 124gr, 1295fps / 462ft. lb. [G19 (4")]
    BB +P+ 147gr, 1175fps / 451ft. lb. [test barrel]
    BB +P+ 147gr, 1179fps [Browning Hi Power (4.6")]
    BB +P+ 147gr, 1131fps [Beretta 92F (4.9")]
    BB +P+ 147gr, 1165fps [Glock 19 (4")]
    BB +P+ 124gr, 1300fps / 461ft. lb. [test barrel]
    (numbers from mfg web sites)

doubletapammo.com
    buffalobore.com

VIP Member
    I've finally decided +P is out of my thinking, the pressure issue for some guns, if I thought a regular 9mm is not enough I would up the caliber.

I think the DoubleTap rounds are exceptional. I carry them daily in my CZ P01 9mm pistol. Love them. Chose them over a dozen other candidate rounds, based on reliability, smoothness, accuracy and "punch".

Pressure is good, to a point. If you're going to go strong, have a gun that can take it. Plus, not everyone enjoys the differences in kick, muzzle rize, flash and other elements that might correspond with such stouter loads.

The nature of the DoubleTap "kick", for me, is completely manageable. In my specific gun, a CZ P01, muzzle rise is mild, and the kick is straight back like a heavier .45ACP push to the hand. It's stout, yes, but in a ~7" long gun at ~30oz or greater, should be fairly controllable for most folks. The muzzle blast (flame, smoke) is decidedly less than most other ammo I've used. I have tried the DT 115gr, 124gr and 147gr, settling on the 124gr +P 9mm for my P01 and daily carry.

Yes, a lifetime diet of heavier loads will be harder on a gun. For example, I would never put the DT +P's into a KelTec PF9, for example, but wouldn't hesitate to do so in a Kahr PM9 (if shot little, carried a lot). I have no such qualms, in the CZ P01, despite the forged aluminum frame. Practice is mostly done with less than the DT's on the range, with occasional use, so it's kept within reason.

Haven't shot the Buffalo Bore in 9mm in the CZ P01, so I'm not familiar with how that compares to the DoubleTap 9mm.

The main selling points for me are, in order of greatest importance: reliability, smooth operation, low blast, manageable recoil, general availability ... though, admittedly, you can't find the dang things at the corner market. Still, they're accurate and effective. (Head to the hills with the largest country ham or turkey you can find, then blast away. It'll surprise you how much more effective the holes are than with "standard" rounds.) I'm not interested in speed; rather, I want the expansion and corresponding energy dump. I'm not interested in ft-lbs energy, per se; I want the penetration and energy dump. I want the load to work through winter clothing or a cranked-up BG. DT's will do that, I think.

BTW, here is a comparo I did of the DoubleTap 9mm JHP +P vs the Federal Hydrashok Tactical 9mm JHP +P, if you're interested. Frankly, the FHT 9mm JHP is a great round, too. Carried that for some time, in the P01. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, either, as a legitimate alternative, assuming any of these work well in your specific gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks. Your post is one of the ones that started me off investigating the DT ammunition.

-john

I took my Kahr PM9 to the range today to test 3 different defensive rounds. I tested the Winchester Ranger +P+ 127gr, the Doubletap 124gr +P, and the Cor Bon DPX 115gr +p. Bear in mind that I have run over 800 FMJ practice rounds through the kahr with zero problems. I ran 50 rounds of Winchester through with 3 issues (all three the same thing, the round ejected but the next round didnt properly feed, locking the slide against the lip of the round until I manually cycled them) . Out of 40 rounds of DPX I had 1 FTF (primer strike, no boom!). Out of 50 rounds of Doubletap I had zero problems. After all of these, I ran 100 rounds of practice FMJ through the same pistol with zero problems. My current round of choice for this pistol pending further testing will be the Doubletap 124gr +P for obvious reasons.

Links