Interesting 38spl Ammuntion... Plastic!?

This is a discussion on Interesting 38spl Ammuntion... Plastic!? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I got to digging around in my favorite gunstore's neglected stock and found these. I don't know if they're collectable or not, but ...

Thread: Interesting 38spl Ammuntion... Plastic!?

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Interesting 38spl Ammuntion... Plastic!?

Hi All,

I got to digging around in my favorite gunstore's neglected stock and found these. I don't know if they're collectable or not, but I'd like to use them. He has a few boxes of both the shells and the bullets so I can put some back as collector's items. The boxes are in decent shape as are the instruction sheets inside.

This is what is needed to load these. The bullet is entirely primer-driven. Velocity is supposed to be approximately 500fps and can cause bodily harm out to 25yds.

The bullet is on the left and the case is on the right. A primer is first inserted into the case, then the bullet, which is just a plastic cylinder with a small hole for gas expansion, is seated on top. No tools are required.

Here are some specifics on the back of the box, along with the standard warnings.

I dunno. I've heard of this stuff and thought it was in the same sentence as "collectable." Regardless, I'm going to load a few.

If they're no longer making this, it's a shame. It, and a M10 Smith & Wesson, would be perfect for introducing new shooters to the sport.

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    Nope, these aren't collectable. They're still a catalogued product. Speer also makes them in .44 and .45 calibers.

These particular shells might have a very limited value to a collector, depending on their age, like if they were made in the 1970s.

I wouldn't worry about it. Use them for their intended purpose, which is short range target shooting. They're a lot of fun.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Moderator
    Hey..
    those arent made to shoot regular bullets, they're made to shoot rubber ones.

Dont try it with regular bullets.
    I have some Speer cases, they are made to load using "Eagle" brand bullets which are shpaed like a little hourglass . You just push the bullet in using finger pressure. Works good with wax bullets also. Speer eventually came out with their own brand which are a little harder I think.

They are accurate out to about 15 yards. They hurt like heck too.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Neat

Great fun, but still a bit dangerous. Mine shot about a foot low in the 2" .38 I first tried them in. Missed the rags-in-a-box backstop in my garage and skipped under and into the wall. After I got the point of aim down, good indoor practice. Sometimes a primer will back out and tie up the cylinder a bit, but no big deal. Even a revolver can jam.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Thanks guys.

I don't reload so I've never just popped off a primer - didn't realize how DIRTY it can be.

I paid $20 for 50 bullets, 50 cases, and 100 primers. Did I get taken?

Josh <><

Administrator
    DITTO: They Shoot WAY LOW.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

1943 - 2009
    I paid $20 for 50 bullets, 50 cases, and 100 primers. Did I get taken?
    No, you didn't. You'll make up the cost in due time because you can re-use these things over and over.

Of course, you will lose a few of the plastic bullets, eventually. Some of them may inpact on a hard enough surface to cause them to break or crack. Just buy new ones. Like I said, they're still a catalogued item.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

CC,

Thanks for mentioning this is still an item on the books!!!

I went to look it up and damn if it wasn't on the Speer website.
    This would be perfect for my own training needs.

Plastic Training Components

Do you want to get a little handgun practice at times you can't get to the range? Don't have a heavy-duty backstop in the garage? SPEER Plastic Training Components are the prescription you need for short-range practice. This isn't loaded ammo. We make the bullets and cases--you supply the power. A standard large pistol primer provides all the power needed to propel the reusable bullets at velocities between 300 and 400 ft/sec. Cases are reusable, too. You don't even need reloading equipment to assemble Speer practice ammo. The case/bullet system is available for 38/357 and 44 caliber revolvers. For the 45 Auto, use our bullet and a standard 45 Auto brass case with a drilled-out flash hole. A backstop for these bullets can be quickly built from a cardboard box and carpet scraps.

Bullets and cases are sold separately so you can replace lost or damaged bullets.

SAFETY FIRST: Never use propellant when loading Plastic Training components. Treat the resulting ammunition with the same respect given conventional ammunition; velocity is high enough to injure the skin. Use only in well-ventilated areas. Brush the bore every 12-18 shots to prevent accumulation of primer residue.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=3&s2=8
    Edit:

I found an even better product along the same lines/concept, ahollow rubber training bullet by a company called 'X-Ring'.
    Midway USA
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...581&t=11082005

X-Ring Rubber Bullets 45 Caliber (451 to 452 Diameter) Box of 50

http://www.meisterbullets.com/asccus...-Cal./514.html

Unsurpassed for safety, speed, accuracy and economy. Rubber bullets are designed to be loaded into primed, empty brass cases. Enlarging the flash holes is recommended for revolvers to prevent primer setback. Reusable.
    - Janq
    Last edited by Janq; July 30th, 2007 at 08:58 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links