Learning to like my small town gun shop

This is a discussion on Learning to like my small town gun shop within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really havenít done much business with the local gun shop. Bought a shotgun for my son there a year or two ago. Not much ...

Thread: Learning to like my small town gun shop

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Learning to like my small town gun shop

I really havenít done much business with the local gun shop. Bought a shotgun for my son there a year or two ago. Not much else as the prices and selections of guns are always better either on line or at the larger shops in the Minneapolis area. Iíve been looking for Federal expanding FMJ in +P 230 grain 45ACP with not much luck. I was about to purchase 5 boxes on line for what I thought was a decent price of around $19/box. I happened to be going by this shop yesterday and decided to stop in. Nope they donít carry it. No problem they will special order it in for $17.35/box. Be here in a week. My wife was along. The guy behind the counter was very knowledgeable started answering questions for her as well and convinced her we both needed another pistol. (Donít we all?) LOL. She has her CCW permit as well and just started her new job as a department Mgr. at Wal-Mart. They will not carry firearms (small town thing) but she is now convinced that the 11PM walk to the car at the far end of the parking lot is no place to be without protection. This shop will get much more of my business in the future. They were helpful, knowledgeable, and took the time to talk and show what they felt we should see. Even at a slight increase in cost this shop has earned my support and business.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

I hear you. Ditto on the sentiments. Smaller shops can be great.

My small, local shop is far preferable to the larger, well-stocked shop across town, or compared to the smart-aleck shop around the corner. Attitude is everything. My preferred shop's staff is incredibly knowledgeable, willing to learn about what they don't already know, willing to work hard to fulfill the need, and are able to order darned near anything if they don't have it in stock. Of course, the prices aren't always the lowest, and there can be the wait for ordered items. But, I get what I want and have a good/fruitful exchange with the staff. Sometimes there is no substitute for having it in your hands, to eval. But if you know what you want, such a smaller, dedicated shop can be wonderful.

I've spent more at the local shop in 18mos than in 10yrs at the larger, full-stocked shops. And all of that comes down to two things: attitude and willingness to work with me to help me get what I want.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I only spend at two gunshops...one is nearby, and the other is 90 miles away, both treat me well. As far as the further shop, it's always worth the 90 mile trip...great deals...honest and normal folks.

Has anyone noticed...real 'strange people' run some shops?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Has anyone noticed...real 'strange people' run some shops?
    Funny thing is...THEY were talking about the weirdos who frequent their shop!

Hi, Ken. Couldn't resist.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I allways like to support my local gun shop they know alot when you become friendly with, they answer any ? you have.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    As strange as it may seem, I've been to two of the shops in the Evansville Area since moving out here two months ago. I've completed two transactions with one of them (who I'm now being told isn't that good to work with.. depending on who is behind the counter...).

I just recently heard about a third shop located locally that my previous searchs hadn't turned up, and a member on here told me about...

The funniest part of all this, I miss the gun shop that I used to shop at in NJ. Good guys, answered your questions, always willing to get you whatever you wanted. effecient, easy going, etc, willing to talk to the regular crowd, even if you just came in to say hello (which I do every time I'm in the area...)

Oh well... I love some people from NJ, but I'm not moving back, that's for sure!
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Can I ask Maverick what the name of the shop is?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I really havenít done much business with the local gun shop. Bought a shotgun for my son there a year or two ago. Not much else as the prices and selections of guns are always better either on line or at the larger shops in the Minneapolis area. Iíve been looking for Federal expanding FMJ in +P 230 grain 45ACP with not much luck. I was about to purchase 5 boxes on line for what I thought was a decent price of around $19/box. I happened to be going by this shop yesterday and decided to stop in. Nope they donít carry it. No problem they will special order it in for $17.35/box. Be here in a week. My wife was along. The guy behind the counter was very knowledgeable started answering questions for her as well and convinced her we both needed another pistol. (Donít we all?) LOL. She has her CCW permit as well and just started her new job as a department Mgr. at Wal-Mart. They will not carry firearms (small town thing) but she is now convinced that the 11PM walk to the car at the far end of the parking lot is no place to be without protection. This shop will get much more of my business in the future. They were helpful, knowledgeable, and took the time to talk and show what they felt we should see. Even at a slight increase in cost this shop has earned my support and business.
    I live in MN too and it might be near enough to me that I could check it out. I try to give my business to the local stores as much as possible as I don't want to end up with just the big box stores as our only option. While it may cost a little more from time to time I figure it's not going to break me and is good for us all in the long run.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

In most small town gunshops I've been to it seems they take the time to talk to you and find out what you want to buy, not what they want to sell you. Although I will give props to the Gander Mountain near me, everyone there seems to be pretty knowledgeable.

My local shop is no more; the owner, a good friend, passed away.
    Would that he were still with us!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

locals

I agree with supporting the local shops. For example, I had been talking to the guys at my local gun shop about a small sporter stocked 10/22 ruger for my wife, who needs a much shorter pull stock than anything I have at home. Didn't specifically order it, but within a couple of months, I had wandered back in looking for anything new, and the guy behind the counter pulled down the exact ruger I had talked with them about. Wife is really tickled with her present.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

There are of course exceptions to every rule.
    There is a small local gunshop in Apex, the town I grew up in, that Nobody in my family will ever go to again. We have given it many chances and the guy that works there is a first class jerk. If you don't know everything about every gun or round of ammo in there you are a complete moron and he talks to you that way! If you disagree with him it gets even worse. It amazes me that he is still in business.

FMC

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaycraft View Post
    There are of course exceptions to every rule.
    There is a small local gunshop in Apex, the town I grew up in, that Nobody in my family will ever go to again. We have given it many chances and the guy that works there is a first class jerk. If you don't know everything about every gun or round of ammo in there you are a complete moron and he talks to you that way! If you disagree with him it gets even worse. It amazes me that he is still in business.

FMC
    Unfortunately it is the same way in my town. The only real gun shop in town has a reputation for treating customers like marks at a carnival. At one time I was quite willing to spend my cash there, even if the prices weren't the best compared with shows and internet shopping. But I have been alienated by the hype and attitude displayed by the employees and owner of the shop.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Our gunshop has gone through a PC name change. When Flagstaff was a small mountain town, it was named " Ruff's guns and drive thru liquor" , a lot went on in that little store, Tropy Elk Contests,Etc Etc.. With the invasion of the PC Kalifornia crowd, it was renamed "ruff's sporting goods", Same great service, people, ETC ETC, though, just a great place to stop in and shoot the bull!!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Our local gun shop is an Army/Navy store that has been here for years but just recently added firearms. I am proud to say that my son and I bought the very first two handguns sold there.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

The good outnumber the bad, here. There's only one in the area I won't shop at. I stopped in once when I was looking for a M&P. They had it tagged for $529 and wouldn't budge. They acted offended when I laughed and pointed out the fact that they were higher than the MSRP, too. I made a 80 mile trip to Bud's, but paid $399. The local shops are where I bought all the rest. Good prices, good people. One even special orders my Mak ammo, and keeps it in stock for me.

Links