Best SD ammo for Kahr PM9?

This is a discussion on Best SD ammo for Kahr PM9? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having owned this little Kahr for less than three months, I was dubious - to say the least - about its reliability and accuracy. But, ...

Thread: Best SD ammo for Kahr PM9?

Best SD ammo for Kahr PM9?

Having owned this little Kahr for less than three months, I was dubious - to say the least - about its reliability and accuracy. But, after running through the recommended 250+ rounds, it began to function just as advertised, cycling WWB practice ammo and several magazines of 115 +P+ Gold Dot and 124+P Federal HSTs. I was content, sold the last of my three frustrating KelTec .380s and ordered about $130 worth of Bearclaw holster and tuckable mag pouches (including one for my G19/G23 setups). Of course, right after paying my credit card bill I've had three jams with the PM9. I didn't notice which mag was in the gun for the first jam, but the second one was with the extended 7-shot mag and the third one was with the regular 6-shot magazine.

Now, too late to cancel the Bearclaw order and dump the Kahr, I'm wondering if maybe I should trust some WWB hollow points, Remington UMC hollow points, or something even more generic. I picked up a 100-round box of the UMCs today at our local Gander Mountain store for $30, and plan to run about 50 of them through the gun tomorrow.

Has anybody had any experience with the PM9 and has this phenomenon hampered your confidence in the gun?

Overall, I like the size and weight of the gun (although I LOVED the KelTec for it absolute ability to disappear in your pocket), and I really appreciate the 9mm ballistics, but I won't own a gun that doesn't go 'bang' every time I pull the trigger --- hence the Glocks, including a G20 for deer hunting.

Thanks for any insights. I have resisted sending the Kahr back to the factory but will take that step if necessary before I sell it and try my fourth KelTec.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

2. Remove Ads

What kind of failures were you having? Failure to feed, extract, or eject? I understand that something the size of your keltec (if this is the case) in 9mm is going to exploit the very littlest amount of limp-wristing on the operators part. Hold on tight, and find some combo of man-machine-ammo that works for you ALWAYS. Good Luck.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

The failures have all been failures to feed. The rounds seem to hang up at the bottom of the feed ramp into the chamber. It also seems to hang up when I rack the slide to load the chamber initially. After shooting handguns for over 35 years, I don't think I'm limp wristing, but I could be wrong about that, too. I've never buffed or polished the feed ramp, but most of the feedback on this weapon has indicated that it didn't need that kind of 'fluff and buff' as they at the Kel-Tec Website.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    You need more oil on the bearing parts is all it is , the little Kahrs like to run best when wet. as for ammo i suggest corbon dpx or gold dot , either is fine .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Mag springs?

-john

Try Fed EFMJ

I have a PM9 that would not feed any JHPs. Ball ammo was great. So I switched to federal's EFMJ, expanding full metal jacket and have had not trouble at all. This stuff even works in my HK94 which was also very persnickity with JHP.

So far, I have had zero malfunctions with FMJ out of 900+ rounds, but I cannot get most of my defensive ammo to perform 100% out of my PM9. It does the same thing that yours does, snagging on the feed ramp. The 1 type of defensive ammo that has been 100% so far for me has been 124gr doubletap +P. 50 rounds, no failures. The Cor Bon 115gr +P DPX was MOSTLY reliable, but 1 failure in 40 rounds. I could not get my PM9 to reliably feed Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+, having three failures to feed in 50 rounds. These are the only defensive rounds Ive tested thus far, but I will readily admit I was running the gun pretty dry, not having liberally applied grease or oil to the slide rails like I normally do. I am getting another box of doubletaps this week and will run the gun with better lubrication for my final analysis in the next week or two.

I personally have over 2500 rounds through my PM9 (I bought it used so I have no idea how many have actually been through it)
    Out of that 2500, I have never had any failures of any kind (other than a single fiocchi fmj round that apparently had a bad primer or something because I solidly dimpled it, rechambered it and solidly dimpled it again with no bang) I will agree that it does have trouble with the intital racking but if you follow Kahr's recomendations of "rack the slide, insert magazine, then engage the slide release" it will chamber every time. Also if you rack the slide and let your hand slide off of the back of the slide at the end of it's travel (think of pulling it back approximately a foot and a half and make sure that the racking hand actually travels that full foot and a half before stopping even though the slide has slipped out 12 inches ago.) I never have any problems getting that first one in. If you ride the slide in the least little bit though it WILL hang up. However that rarely applies as I keep one in the chamber anyway, just so there are no unkown variables to deal with. As for ammo, I have been using PowRBall and it feeds beautifully through this little gun.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Its JUNK. Sell it to me for $250.
    Please advise of where to send money!

+1 mag springs sounds the most likely judging from your description of the malfunction.

Austin

ckd
    Ok here is a weird solution, don't rack the slide, use the slide release.

I had this problem, shot well over 500 rounds, was ticked, went to the gun shop, he called Kahr, they said they would take it back but try the the slide release; it has never been a problem since.

Really enjoy the accuracy and mild recoil of this little 9.

The PM9 Kahr's need a little more rail lube than Glocks and need at least 200 rounds to buff the ramp. Send it back for repair (free) or sell it if you can't make it reliable.

Corbon DPX or Speer GD HP short barrel for defense rounds.

+1 Use the slide release on the first round.

Final word - thanks

I am very appreciative of all the responses and will apply more grease, try some different loads (WWB 147 Remington UMC 115). Thanks again.

kahr solution found?

I tried some rapid fire exercises with the 115 grain regular pressure Remington UMC and the 147 gr. WWB regular pressure and both performed without a hitch. Thinking back on it, the PM9 also seemed to cycle the 115 +P+ Gold Dot Hollow Points ... so it just seems to be the 124 +P Federal HST loads that give it problems.

I am pleased to have found the answers because I really want to like this little gun with the new Bearclaw tuckable holster and tuckable magazine pouch (about a $95 investment for both). I'm going to give it a good cleaning and run a few more of the UMCs and WWBs through it and then call it good and carry it with confidence.

Meanwhile, I bought back my old P-3AT from a buddy and ran some ball ammo through it, with FTFs from American Eagle and WWB 95 grain loads. It handled the Fiocchi (sp?) without a hitch. Still don't know what to make of this weapon ... my third try. I don't think I'll give up on it again, but probably stick with the Fiocchi and maybe send it back to Florida for a second time.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll also make sure to get more lubricant on the Kahr slide rails. Having mainly shot Glocks in recent years, I'm used to keep the oil to a minimum.

Links